• Tweets

• and as expected   UK rejects mobility agreement with Europe to help young people travel and live abroad WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK Labour also rejected the possibility of an EU-wide scheme for young people a Government spokesperson said there was no interest from the UK side, adding that “free movement (for UK plebs) within the EU was ended”.
    • Yep, I agree with what you are saying, I only mentioned the governing body code of practice as a nod to the fact that I wasn't dismissing the BPA or whoever out of hand, thought that would go in my favour before a judge. I wrote a long post about the BPA CoP earlier but then deleted it because I realised I wasn't talking about points of law but a set of guidelines drawn up by one bunch of charlatans for another bunch of charlatans. It is ludicrous that the 5 minute consideration period doesn't apply if the motorist parks, such nonsense. As for legislation, I was referring to the government legislation (if it is legislation?) document which has been withdrawn. Does that stand until it has been reintroduced? In the explanatory document it is quite clear. Otherwise, how does one hold them to the consideration and grace periods? Or is that at the discretion of the judge?
    • Thank you all   JK, I agree; if they were to accept my full claim today, then the interest would be around 8-9 pounds. If I were them, I would have offered to pay the interest and said no to the 12 pounds for the letters. These have not been mentioned, which is my mistake.   As you pointed out, if the judge were to award at 4% and I did not get the letters, I would get less.   Bank, thank you. I do hear what you are saying. If I am to continue with this, then I will need to pay an additional trial fee of £59. If I win everything, then great, but if I win less the claim and court fee, then I lose out. I am not sure what the judge will think about the interest. I think we have to remember that I won the item and, therefore, did not pay a penny for it. Yes, I have had to purchase an additional one, but maybe the judge will hold this against me. I am content that this is a win. I have not signed any non-disclosure clauses, and they do not ask for this either in their offer. 
    • Are you saying that both businesses were closed? Yet you stayed there for over two hours. . If both were closed than to charge £100 is a penalty since Horizon had no legitimate interest in keeping spaces clear for the company. sake as there were no customers..
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

'Pastdue Credit Solutions' now Advantis chasing Tax Credits overpayment

HelpfullFriend
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2851 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

Sorry if I am in the wrong thread here but I am not sure if this is a benefit or debt query.

I have just received a letter from 'Pastdue Credit Solutions' for the amount of £8292.12 owing to HMRC for Dual Tax Credits.

History .....

Quite a few years ago I applied for Working Tax Credit.

Didn't have all our P45's so I sent of a list of jobs my husband had and what we thought he earned from each one.

Next thing we knew, they had backdated our claim and put £1500 approx in our account.

I rang them up and asked if they had it right as I was sure we wasn't entitled to it.

They said we were but would look into it for us.

Over the next 12 months we received various letters to say out benefit had been reduced.

They were obviously checking my husbands employment history and reducing the benefit accordingly.

After a period of time they said we had been overpaid and demanded it back

(it is so long ago I cant even remember the amount requested).

I rang and questioned it - they said it stood - I appealed - they said they were right and I was wrong.

I told them to stick their money and refused to make anymore claims.

Never filled out anymore forms.

Never took anymore of their money.

Claimed again in 2009 when my husband was made redundant.

Claimed again in 2013 again when my husband was made redundant.

Never claimed since an I still have a child in the last year of secondary school.

I cant understand how they recon we owe over eight thousand pounds.

I have tried to ring them - sitting on the phone unable to get through.

I have already advised one debt collection agency I was disputing the amount they were claiming

- it wasn't no where near this amount either.

I can only think that they have added the amount we have claimed in total and that is the amount they are requesting.

No mention of the years we have never claimed a penny.

Is it up to me to prove I don't owe this money or is it up to the debt collection agency to prove I do?

Any help will be gratefully received and I apologize for the long thread

Thanks

Edited by citizenB
formatting

Send a Subject Access Request to DWP - this will provide you with all the data in connection with your relationship with the credits.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?406188-DWP-Subject-Access-Request-From-%28SAR%29-**Updated-March-2014**

The link above is the draft SAR you need to send. They will not accept via email, so you will either need to take it to your nearest DWP or post it - making sure you obtain a free proof of posting.

Send a letter to the DCA and say that you are disputing this - have requested information from DWP and until you receive this, then you will not respond to any threats from the DCA.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi

Thanks for your assistance citizenB. I will get that letter off this afternoon.

The debt company rang me Saturday and I refused to speak to them. J

ust told them to write to me.

They have done - received another letter off them today advising me HMRC take these matters very seriously

and could seize my goods or take legal proccedings against me.

They are requesting I settle or agree to a suitable repayement plan.

Here goes .....

Hi

Thanks for your assistance citizenB. I will get that letter off this afternoon. The debt company rang me Saturday and I refused to speak to them. Just told them to write to me. They have done - received another letter off them today advising me HMRC take these matters very seriously and could seize my goods or take legal proccedings against me. They are requesting I settle or agree to a suitable repayement plan. Here goes .....

How old is the debt ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

The first time we ever claimed was around 2004 and that is when they say we were overpaid.

It hadnt been out long and they said that if you claimed within a certain time frame

you would get the claim backdated to when it first began, so it was beneficial to claim.

The next time we claimed was around 2009 and again around 2012/2013.

Each time we have claimed we have been entitled to the money.

I think they have just added up every thing we have ever claimed from them and requested it all back.

I know I dont owe or have over eight thousand pounds lying around to pay them.

I am sending the letters off today by registered post, so we will see what they say.

Want to get it done if the DCA are threateneing legal action.

Thanks

Those letters have gone off today by registered post.

Just as a query, would I be better getting in touch with the Tax Office regarding my earnings.

I have been advised they do not hold records going back that far hence the reason you are supposed to keep your P60's.

But in some of that time my husband was self employed so didn't have any.

To support my claim that I was entitled to this money, would there be anything else I could do as well.

Thanks

Maybe admin can ask dx100uk to pop in to confirm?

I have asked him to take a look at this thread.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

the bottom line is you never ever ring/talk/write/converse or do anything

with a DCA over govt debt - they certainly cant do anything

the DCA is totally powerless

no matter how many letters they may write

just count the number of times they use another word but never say WILL anywhere.

as advised SAR HMRC .

its free

make them prove their claim

and then ONLY deal with them directly.

TOTALLY IGNORE THE DCA.

it smacks quite loudly here that they have since provided tax credits

if you did owe anything

they'd simply take it from your current entitlement.

they haven't

but passed it to a no powers DCA ...urm.......

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

With reference to us getting in touch with the tax office, would it be worth our while or not?

Or when they return what information they have, will it show our earnings over the years we have claimed.

I thought if I had all the information on what we have earned over the last 15/16 years it will be easy for them to calculate what we were entitled to and how much we have overpaid - if anything.

Will they be able to get the information from the tax man easier than I would?.

Thanks

HMRC is the taxman

you've not sent that sar to PDC have you?

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

No I sent it to HM Revenues & Customs. The address was Preston on the website.

They got the SAR.

Avantis (the DCA) have got the letter which says I have no knowledge of the debt.

I was wondering it tax credits dept will speak to the people who hold the tax records.

They could then look at our earnings and decide what we were overpaid, if anything.

They could do it by calculation of earnings.

Also they can work out what we haven't claimed since I told them to shove it (a pure moment of temper when dealing with a CSA who sounded like a newbie).

We have never filled out any tax credit forms since at least 2013/2014 if not longer.

Sorry about the mistake above. It is Past due and not Avantis.

I have located further paperwork relating to this.

The overpayment was originally in the tax year 2004-2005.

I have found half a letter saying that they initially held my partners income at nil.

Then 3398.00 up to 28/11/2005.

On the 28/11/2005 they changed it to a more realistic figure of 21,914.00.

This was despite me providing a 2 year list of all companies he worked for and his weekly take home pay.

I have no way of knowing if the 21,914 figure was correct without having a word with the tax office.

I know he has no P60's for that period.

The over payment was for Working Tax Credit and Child Tax Credit.

Although the letter states at the bottom

"Your award notices would alll have shown you the amounts we were paying you in CTC and WTC.

We would have expected you to contact us in regards to these payments as you knew you were not entitled to any WTC".

Like I am a benifits expert.

I did ring them and ask if they were sure the figure deposited was correct.

They assured me it was as they dont get it wrong.

When I complained - they had no record of my call.

Complaint upheld in their favour (by their own office).

A while ago I must have had a 'chat' with pastdue as I have figures on a letter from 2014 showing the amounts claimed.

2004 - 2005 (181.36 + 1461.71) = 1643.07

2005 - 2006 (1184.72 + 208.56) = 1393.28

2008 - 2009 (781.53) = 781.53

2009 - 2010 (665.48 + 1931.76) = 2597.24

Now I must admit I get this figure to 6415.12

so they either didnt have the full info for me or I didnt write it all down.

The 2004 to 2006 was there own fault for not reading alll the information I gave to them.

In 2008/2009/2010 my husband was unemployed.

Although not for the full 3 years. It was November of 2008.

The debt is now being chased by Advantis Credit Limited.

That is the final letter I can find relating to this matter.

just thought I would pop the extra information on here.

Will have to wait and see if the 1877.00 difference is a claim beyond 2010.

Will update you when I get any further information.

Thanks

safe to say you IGNORE ANY DCA TOTALLY

dx

and they

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update.

HMRC have returned my postal order which I have had refunded at the Post Office.

The DCA have sent me another letter advising me that they are going to proceed

and I must not ignore their demand.

Should I send a letter advising I have chalenged the amount requested or ignore.

Thanks

we already told you the sar was free,

glad you got it back

as for the dca...proceed with what...

sending another scary letter.

post 9 refers

and they

• 2 weeks later...

Hi peeps.

Just an update on this as I think I really need some help now.

Yesterday I have received 6 (yes really 6) parcels from HMRC.

Inside each parcel is a mound of paper work.

There must be at least 1000 pages inside each parcel.

This will take me months to go through and I dont even know what I am looking for!!!

A quick look inside the first parcel and it seemt to be full of screenshots.

Further inside it looks like dates claims ended and started.

I cant believe the amount of paperwork that is now on my kitchen table.

If I can upload a picture I will.

The covering letter is the length of a book.

It states that they have destroyed any paper copies of any data they held before 2010 in line with DPA.

Thats brill (not) as it means they do not have the original letter I sent when I first claimed and this mess started.

Telephone conversations will be sent under seperate cover.

Can anyone advise me what I need to be looking for inside all this paperwork????

I am assuming everything is inside.

I know I have not filled out any WTC or CTC since 2010/2011/2012.

There shouldnt be many copies of the forms in there.

I really am at a loss as to what to do now.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

you can do it two ways...

look at specifically what the HMRC is saying you owe....

either:

look for the actual written evidence [proof] of what they are saying is true..that you do owe £XXXX

or

look for evidence the proves you do not owe the money.

if you cannot find the evidence that proves you owe it - how can HMRC say you do?

if you can show evidence that its already paid or never existed .. use that to counter their claim....

and they

• 5 weeks later...

Well I have had a look through all of this paperwork and like I said before, the majority of it is screenshots - some with figures and some without. The last load of it are note screens. Nothing really jumps out at me either way. The only 3 notes that really make sense to it all are listed below.

30.01.2006 - APPEALS - Formal complaint, received date 26.01.2006 (this proves that I actually made a complaint back in 2006 regarding the initial payment when I enclosed an average figure of my husbands earnings as he had no P60's to send off)

13.01.2010 - GENERAL - NC101 - Duplicate child on claim. Responsi

13.01.2010 - GENERAL - NC101 - Duplicate child on claim - Responsibility ended from todays date as per current guidance KH6025479 A&T

Then there are loads of screen shots from 11.04.2010 to 05.12.2015 and the just say 'child rematching' and my sons name.

I can then see the request for SAR, refund of the £10.

Does this mean anything at all? Can anyone help me with this now?

I have spoken to Avantis last night (caught me on the hop when I answered the house phone).

They have advised me that a government debt isnt statue barred

(even though she stumbled a bit when she looked at the date).

I have advised her that I do not believe I owe this money,

I wont be paying them a penny and if they didnt like that I would see them in court.

She has filed it down as refused to pay with the notes that I dont believe I owe the money.

I advise I couldnt care less how she wrote it,

I wouldnt be paying her the money.

She said Tax Credits 'would pick it up' and they would be in touch.

Can I write to HMRC and ask them to reason it out in figures I can understand.

I just want them to say we paid you this much and you earned this much.

As you earned this much, you were only entitled to this much.

Therefore we believe you owe us this much.

That is the only way I will be able to get my head arround it.

Finding anything in that paperwork is like finding a needle in a haystack.

Some of it might mean something, but it means nothing to me.

Alternatively, would it be best if I took it all to a solicitor

and got them to look into it for me?

I just dont know what to do now!!

please don't talk to no powers fleecers on the phone...

writing only

put the phonedown.

all you do is feed them with notions of power.

yes no harm in writing to HMRC

requesting what you want.

then we can match it up with data you have from the SAR.

and either blow them out the water

or agree

no rush

and they

I am going to send a letter off tomorrow then.

They are going to have to provide my earnings and my husbands earnings for every year we have claimed.

I am also going to ask them why they believe I have been overpaid.

If they cant list it down, then they are wasting my time.

I am going to have to give them the impression I cannot find any evidence in this paperwork.

The only problem I have is the evidence of earnings.

If they say my husband earned £xxxx for a year,

I will have to accept that.

How do I go on regarding my original claim when I enclosed what I thought my husband earned?

My claim was done on paper and the letter was enclosed listing every company he worked for in that year.

I assumed they would check with the tax office to find his earnings.

They say they have destroyes all paper claims previous to 2011.

There is a note on there which says they brought his calculated earnings to a more realistic figure of 21,xxx.

It didnt feel like we was earning that amount.

For him to be earning that kind of money back in 2004 would be stupid.

He was most definately not on £400 per week.

I know they are the tax people but is there any way I can find out our earnings for each year from 2004 without any P60's (or am I being a bit thick there)