• Tweets

• I (and other respondents) always advise “not getting caught in a lie” it hardens their response. Why would they now believe protestations of remorse and “I won’t do it again” if they've already seen you'd lie and say it was a one-off when it wasn't..  You can try approaching the prosecutor on the day, but "I wouldn't hold my breath" …..  
    • I told them that it was an accident and that I used the oyster card as my debit card was lost. However, they did an investigation and realised it was not a one off. I have told them how remorseful I feel and how a criminal conviction would result in expulsion from my degree but they still want to take me to court. I have received the court summons letter
    • 20 million quid on just the brokering fee for a crappy deal with the UK public hocked to pay more for PPE - which was probably useless with better and cheaper per item with no 20 million quid fee - available from alibaba Stinks of corruption to me.  
    • Breaking News Biden wins Kennedy family endorsement Fifteen members of the storied Kennedy political family endorsed U.S. President Joe Biden at a Philadelphia campaign event on Thursday, with some joining him onstage, in a rebuke of Robert F. Kennedy Jr's independent bid for the White House. and 30 members in the extended Kennedy family   nytimes.com WWW.NYTIMES.COM Kennedys endorse Biden over their relative RFK Jr WWW.BBC.CO.UK Robert F Kennedy Jr is running for president as an independent - but many family members oppose him. More than a dozen Kennedy family members endorse Biden, snub RFK Jr. | CBC News WWW.CBC.CA President Joe Biden accepted endorsements from at least 15 members of the Kennedy political family during a campaign stop...  
    • Speaking of Frost and Johnson the corrupt liars' grate deal they forced through   Shortages of life saving medicines has become ‘new normal’ for UK after Brexit WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK ‘The medicines supply chain is broken at every level,’ warns Dr Leyla Hannbeck   "Professor Tamara Hervey, of the City Law School, said: “There is nothing inevitable about this ‘new normal’ where Great Britain is isolated in efforts to manage fragilities in global supply of the products and people we need to run the NHS. It is the consequence of policy choices and those could be different.”     Mind you, the private sector is making hays while the NHS is burned. Private health insurance market grows by £385m in a year amid NHS crisis | Private healthcare | The Guardian WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM Demand for private treatment booms as NHS waiting lists remain long, while more people also sign up for dental cover  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2887 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In October 2002 I was employed as a holding manager for a pub company running a pub in Liverpool.

About 10 weeks later, I recieved notification that the pub company had since sold the pub to Enterprise Inns, who asked would I remain at the site to run the establishment until a suitable tenant could be found.

In March 2003 following arguments and issues with Enterprise Inns, I left the property, or more to the point, they sought an eviction notice asking me to leave, which I believe was all legal and above board.

About 5 years later, I received a letter from a Bailiff coompany regarding unpaid business rates amounting to £7100 for the period I was running the pub.

I rang Liverpool council who took note that I was disagreeing with the liability order, and thats the last i heard till about 3 years ago when yet again they contacted me about the liability order again. So I rang them yet again, told them I was not liable for the business rates, and yet again nothing more until now.

Now they have appointed Rossendales to come to my house to collect the outstanding amount of £6880. I have contacted Rossendales and they have said they would not cease action until the council tell them to.

I was never liable for this debt because I was simply a caretaker manager, never a business owner. My job was to run the pub on their behalf, getting paid a self employed % of the takings.

I have written to the council to tell them I want to appeal the liability order, but being honest, I don't have a clue actually how to do it. Is there anyone who can help with some advice on what precisely I need to be doing.

You were always an employee, and occupying the living quarters as part of your job, presumably as part of your salary package?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

As this was not your business surely its the responsibility of the brewery? Send the LA the information and ask them to verify the situation with the brewery, this should take care of the debt..

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

As this was not your business surely its the responsibility of the brewery? Send the LA the information and ask them to verify the situation with the brewery, this should take care of the debt..

Herein lies the problem. The company I was employed by no longer exists as it was a holding company. They acted on behalf of the owners of the pub. The owners then sold the pub to Enterprise inns, who themselves have now sold the pub on to someone else.

So as far as I can find out, there is not one scrap of paperwork left which can be used as proof that I was never the business owner.

You were always an employee, and occupying the living quarters as part of your job, presumably as part of your salary package?

Yes, I was paid a % of the takings as a wage, with live in accomodation provided as part of the deal. I was self employed in so far as I had to pay my own tax and national insurance, but all the bills were the responsibility of the company.

Yes, I was paid a % of the takings as a wage, with live in accomodation provided as part of the deal. I was self employed in so far as I had to pay my own tax and national insurance, but all the bills were the responsibility of the company.

They could be taking your self employment and occupation of the premises as reason to chase to chase, presumably the License to sell alcohol on the premises was in your name. You could send them all the details you have on the ownership. No doubt other Caggers will be along soon.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I've written to the council explaining that I should never have been named as the person liable for the business rates and asked them to suspend any bailiff action until this can be sorted out.

Rang Rossendales, who in their defence ( which doesn't happen often ) were very helpful, and have spoken to the bailliff and explained the situation to him so he is aware of it.

I have done a land registry check to see who owns the building and when they purchased it, and as I suspected, the people that owned the building back in 2002 are no longer the owners, so there is no paperwork whatsoever to say who was supposed to be paying the bills.

Just got to wait I suppose and see what Liverpool council say, but from what the woman on the phone was saying, its not an easy task getting a Liability Order removed, and amazingly, she says I may end up having to pay because its my fault that its now 13 years since the liability order was granted and the onus was on me to get it removed quickly, even though she freely admits it could well have been issued wrongly in the first place.

Why not get the local MP involved, the council won't like it one little bit and may have to back down.

Whenever you phone, back up your call with a written letter, otherwise things may be 'forgotten' by the council.

Thanks, I have learnt from this situation that councils will talk for hours on phones, they deny they know anything about it. I've rung them countless times about this, and each time because I've heard nothing more thought they'd dealt with it. Apparantly not.

I've emailed them and have a confirmation of receipt, so they cannot now deny that I am objecting to this liability order.

Just have to wait and see what they say now. If they've waited this long to chase the debt, then god knows how long it will take them to sort it all out..

Do contact your MP as sillygirl suggests, it may focus the council's anal retentive Officers attention.

Just been involved in a very heated argument with someone from Liverpool City council

Apparantly according to them, the responsibility is on me to prove I do not owe the money because I would have received a bill in 2002, and therefore its up to me to prove I don't owe the money because I didn't tell them in 2002 I didn't owe it.

Now according to them, because the company I worked ( who have now gone bust ) told them I should pay the business rates, they have decided to just take their word for it. So I can contact the council and tell them that Mickey Mouse is responsible for the business rates for Tescos, and they will send the bills to him. No proof is needed, just someone contacting the council to tell them.

Amazingly, its the same with council tax. A property owner can simply write to the council tell them that Mickey Mouse is responsible for paying the council tax, and because Mouse doesn't tell them he isn't the one who is supposed to pay it, then Mickey Mouse gets a liability order, and then has to prove why he's not liable.

Utterly bloody stupid..

I think I need to get in touch with an MP on this one, because they are refusing point blank to budge and won't tell Rossendales to back off. So I am expecting a bailliff to attend anytime soon. He's gonna get told where to go as well..

Just been involved in a very heated argument with someone from Liverpool City council

Apparantly according to them, the responsibility is on me to prove I do not owe the money because I would have received a bill in 2002, and therefore its up to me to prove I don't owe the money because I didn't tell them in 2002 I didn't owe it.

Now according to them, because the company I worked ( who have now gone bust ) told them I should pay the business rates, they have decided to just take their word for it. So I can contact the council and tell them that Mickey Mouse is responsible for the business rates for Tescos, and they will send the bills to him. No proof is needed, just someone contacting the council to tell them.

Amazingly, its the same with council tax. A property owner can simply write to the council tell them that Mickey Mouse is responsible for paying the council tax, and because Mouse doesn't tell them he isn't the one who is supposed to pay it, then Mickey Mouse gets a liability order, and then has to prove why he's not liable.

Utterly bloody stupid..

I think I need to get in touch with an MP on this one, because they are refusing point blank to budge and won't tell Rossendales to back off. So I am expecting a bailliff to attend anytime soon. He's gonna get told where to go as well..

Which council is it? Perhaps they are outsourcing their back office duties.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Which council is it? Perhaps they are outsourcing their back office duties.

It's Liverpool City Council

Councils are not supposed to go for a Liability Order after 6 years.. please go and check that out for correct information... Ask the CAB or similar

The Liability Order in this case MM was obtained long ago (certainly as far back as 2008) so the six year rule will not apply.

In October 2002 I was employed as a holding manager for a pub company running a pub in Liverpool.

About 10 weeks later, I recieved notification that the pub company had since sold the pub to Enterprise Inns, who asked would I remain at the site to run the establishment until a suitable tenant could be found.

In March 2003 following arguments and issues with Enterprise Inns, I left the property, or more to the point, they sought an eviction notice asking me to leave, which I believe was all legal and above board. .

During this particular period (October 2002 and March 2003) it would seem from my reading of your posts that you were asked to remain as 'caretaker/manager' by ENTERPRISE INNS. If so, then the liability should be with them and they would surely have the relevant documentation etc. Was it Enterprise who were paying you during this period?

During this particular period (October 2002 and March 2003) it would seem from my reading of your posts that you were asked to remain as 'caretaker/manager' by ENTERPRISE INNS. If so, then the liability should be with them and they would surely have the relevant documentation etc. Was it Enterprise who were paying you during this period?

Herein lies the same problem.

Enterprise Inns have now sold the pub on to someone else about 8 years ago. I asked them for any relevant paperwork, and they say they don't have anything on file either.

So there is absolutely no paperwork anywhere, and because the Liability order is in my name, the council want proof from me that I don't owe the money to them. The onus is on me to prove to them I didn't own that business, which is utterly absurd. Surely the onus has to be on them to prove I do.

• 2 weeks later...

According to the page below the liability order is a rubber stampted list of names, they do not even have to ask you for the money before passing to bailiffs.

The debt is not covered by the 6 year statute of limitations

So the only hope you have is political pressure as suggested or a judicial review which will cost you more than the debt.

[Commercial link removed]

Edited by honeybee13
Link removed

Well absolutely stuffed here.

The council have written back to me saying that I should have objected to the liability order in December 2012, and therefore they will not consider any removal of the liability order unless i can provide documentary evidence that I was not the business owner.

In their words "the onus is not on us to prove anything as we have the liability order, and it is your resposibility to prove we are incorrect"

So I am absolutely screwed here as no one can provide any documents for over 13 years ago.

The kind souls have given me 4 weeks to provide any evidence I can to support my argument, but other than that they are not budging..

If they still refuse to accept I do not owe that money, then I'll pay them at £10 per week and make them wait 12 years to get it all. .

Well absolutely stuffed here.

The council have written back to me saying that I should have objected to the liability order in December 2012, and therefore they will not consider any removal of the liability order unless i can provide documentary evidence that I was not the business owner.

In their words "the onus is not on us to prove anything as we have the liability order, and it is your resposibility to prove we are incorrect"

So I am absolutely screwed here as no one can provide any documents for over 13 years ago.

The kind souls have given me 4 weeks to provide any evidence I can to support my argument, but other than that they are not budging..

If they still refuse to accept I do not owe that money, then I'll pay them at £10 per week and make them wait 12 years to get it all. .

I have seen reports that the West Liverpool Citizens Advice bureau have had some successes with some very old council tax demands. But whether they can help with this, you can only ask.

Surely if you can look back at any old Bank account statements or info held by your Bank, it might help your case. Banks keep records for at least 12 years, but if they are now held in archives, you might have to ask them to search back longer that they may have on their live records system.

Your original post talks about the debt from 2002/3 yet you have the Council saying objection to the Liability Order granted in 2012 should have been objected to at that time. For me this is well over the 6 year limit. Liverpool City Council have a record of digging up old cases and insisting:

a - they have to be paid

b - it is for the debtor to prove they don't owe it

In my view they need to prove the debt exists and as it is from so long ago you should also ask them what their write off policy was - this must be from the time the debt occurred and not the present time. I appreciate I may have missed this but do you still live in the same Local Authority area?

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In my view they need to prove the debt exists and as it is from so long ago you should also ask them what their write off policy was - this must be from the time the debt occurred and not the present time. I appreciate I may have missed this but do you still live in the same Local Authority area?

The very recent decision (9th November 2015) from the Local Government Ombudsman regarding Liverpool City Council and the very old 'community charge' is really worrying.

In this particular case, the 'community charge' is from 1993 and even though Liverpool cannot locate a copy of the Liability Order the view of the Ombudsman is that:

"The Council’s records show the money is owed and without any evidence to the contrary I cannot question the validity of these records".

http://www.lgo.org.uk/decisions/benefits-and-tax/other/14-019-796