BankFodder BankFodder

• Tweets

• Plusnet complaints have offered half the money, and their excuse is that two accounts were created. I signed up for life mobile and cancelled soon after. The initial payment to Lifemobile (later bought out by Plusnet) was refunded a week later.  A month later on 31/03/2016 I signed up for a lifemobile account again at £5.95, made an initial payment and a DD was setup.  They have suggested I no go through the ombudsman, or should I go through he direct debit guarantee scheme as Plusnet are contesting it is a contractual issue, when I think it is an admin error on their part.   2016  * is the ghost account 26/02/2016                 CARD PAYMENT TO LIFEMOBILE.CO.UK,6.00 GBP, RATE 1.00/GBP ON 24-02-2016                                       £6.00*   Inital contract setup payment 02/03/2016                 CREDIT FROM LIFEMOBILE.CO.UK ON 2016-02-29                                                                                               £6.00*    Inital contract setup payment  refunded   31/03/2016                 CARD PAYMENT TO LIFEMOBILE.CO.UK,5.95 GBP, RATE 1.00/GBP ON 29-03-2016                                       £5.95 - New contract initial payment  08/04/2016                 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO LIFE MOBILE REF KIN731007, MANDATE NO 0013                                           £6.00 * - DirectDebit setup for cancelled contract   11/05/2016                 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO LIFE MOBILE REF KIN731007, MANDATE NO 0013                                           £6.00 * 16/05/2016                 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO LIFE MOBILE REF KIN731007, MANDATE NO 0013                                           £5.95   15/07/2016                 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO LIFE MOBILE REF KIN731007, MANDATE NO 0013                                           £10.22 11/07/2016                 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO LIFE MOBILE REF KIN731007, MANDATE NO 0013                                           £6.00 *   16/06/2016                 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO LIFE MOBILE REF KIN731007, MANDATE NO 0013                                           £6.25 10/06/2016                 DIRECT DEBIT PAYMENT TO LIFE MOBILE REF KIN731007, MANDATE NO 0013                                           £6.00 *         Thank you for your time on the phone earlier on today, apologies for catching you at an inconvenient time. I will now keep the method of contact to email as requested.   Having investigate further into the above accounts I can confirm that:   Kin731007 was set upon the 26/02/2016 via Life Mobile and a welcome email and pack was emailed to the given email address of @hotmail.co.uk. On the welcome email it explained that the SIM only package was £6.00 per month and it was advised that we would be taking this payment on or after the 8th of every month. The bank details given were from a Santander UK account. There has been no usage on this account.   Kin7310071 was set up on the 05/04/2016 via Life Mobile and a welcome email and pack was sent to the given email address of @hotmail.co.uk. On the welcome email it explained that the SIM only package was £5.95 per month and it was advised that we would be taking this payment on or after the 14th of every month. The bank details given were from the same Santander UK account that was given when kin731007 was set up.   When you terminated the account kin7310071 via the PAC switching service in December 2019 you then on the 27/01/2020  received an email request for a payment of £12.60. Upon calling the mobile contact centre it transpired that this bill was a request for payment for account kin731007. You advised that this was not an account you were familiar with as it has a different telephone number to the one you had been using. It was at this point it was established that you had been receiving two separate bills each month but it was your belief that these bills were just a duplicate even though the amounts were different each month. It was requested that our fraud team investigate in to this further and at this point you asked for the full refund of the monies paid for the account kin731007.   Our credit and risk team reviewed the account and concluded that as it was opened prior to the account you were using (kin7310071), and given that all the payment details and email correspondence address matched they were satisfied that the account had not been opened fraudulently from our side.   As there now was a late payment marker for this account (kin731007), it has been agreed that we will now note the account as settled from the 09/12/2019 (last payment date) due to no activity, however we are unable to remove the account from your credit file in relation to fraud.   You have been offered a goodwill gesture of £100 by a Customer Services Manager at the mobile contact centre however this was declined. You have asked for a settlement of £271.80 which is the total amount you have paid for the monthly billing of account kin731007. We would be unable to refund that amount due to the account being maintained each month, the fact that a separate direct debit was on the account and that you have received monthly notifications for this account since it was established. I do appreciate however that you have spent some considerable time sorting this issue and understand the inconvenience caused. I would at this stage be happy to offer our final position as a monetary goodwill gesture of £150.00. Should you not wish to accept this we would potentially be in a position of deadlock. This means that both us and you cannot come to an amicable resolution to your complaint and this would provide you with the means to escalate your case to our recommended independent adjudicator, Ombudsman Service, as outlined in our Complaints Code of Practice.   Please let us know how you would like to progress with your case and we can look to take the appropriate action. Feel free to reply via email or if you would prefer to speak with me I can be reached on 0800 587 2677 .  I am in the office until 7pm this evening and back in on Monday.   Kind Regards   Nicola Nicola Wallis Customer Advocates Advisor
    • I cant get through to Kensington - 2 hour wait time! Do you think it might be a good idea to call TLT solicitors and explain that I written to Coast and asked them for the SAR - so I could calculate the charges that were incorrect and then setup the repayment with them - is it worth a phone call to them or not?   Also worried that I have not filled in this court form yet (N11M) - I think I have 28 days!  
    • It seems to me that there is a duty on Barclays to let their customers know about the effects of making these kinds of important decisions.
    • Thank you so much, l really appreciate your points. I can not begin to tell you how this has affected my life, l have not taken the Codeine since 2018, but been treated like a criminal by DVLA if l showed all the facts in this case it would shook people. Once the country is up and running late will try again just the time it takes as been a year now and not sure how much longer l can keep my Motability adapter vehicle for due for renewal in October) and my job, total independence gone for someone in a wheelchair just trying to be “normal” and go to work!! 
    • I have a repayment mortgage. I got a very vague letter stating the arrangement but there wasn’t a lot of information on it. I was offered any options. I was just told that they would take £x amount a month instead of my full mortgage payment for 6 months. 
  • Our picks

stuscfc1883

Probate and Solicitors as Executors . . .

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1522 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Morning Caggers,

A friend of mine sadly lost his sister last year, you may have read my post about transporting her body through the country previously, and it transpires that she has had a history of mental illness, which culminated in her death due to an addiction of Paracetemol.

During her last few months it transpires that she has made some very odd decisions, possibly due to her mental condition, one of the strange decisions was to instruct a company of solicitors to be the only executor, strange as her mum is alive as is her brother and they have a family friend who is a senior barrister, or may even be a High Court Judge I believe. Anyway it is what it is and she did have a Will, again littered with odd decisions but it is her current Will . . .

The main issue for her family is that she did own a property, 50/50 with a Housing Association etc, and there was a small amount of money in her bank. The solicitors in question are doing nothing with the probate or estate, her mum keeps looking after the house and has been paying the Rent/Mortgage, Council Tax, all the Service Bills etc . . . The funeral director is chasing for their money too . . . and yet the Solicitors do nothing with the estate . . .

I'm led to believe that this is a common tactic by solicitors that sit on this for a year or two, to justify exorbitant fees which funnily enough equal what cash is yielded from the estate . . . please somebody tell me this isn't true as this would be a disgusting tactic by someone who is meant to be morally whiter than white and representing everything that this proud country stands for legally?

Have you approached the solicitor to ask why they are are delaying things ?

I think you can ask them to step down as Executors, but if they dont do so willingly you might have to take action which could be costly.

I will try and find someone to help you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy -

HERE

2: Take back control of your finances -

Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated -

Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

the family friend I mentioned who is a legal person, got involved to try and help but because in the eyes of the solicitors that the family have now taken legal representation they won't deal with the family at all and put the phone down on them stating "we cannot talk to you" . . . no courtesy, no explanation etc . . .

I'm led to believe that this is a common tactic by solicitors that sit on this for a year or two, to justify exorbitant fees which funnily enough equal what cash is yielded from the estate . . .

Most of the probate cases that I know of that have been handled by solicitors were wrapped up fairly quickly. For simple estates without any complexities, six to twelve months is usually the norm. The client of the solicitor handling probate is the deceased, so he is highly unlikely to discuss anything with you.

As citizenB has pointed out, you can ask them to step down as executors - Check with the Probate Registry to see if probate has been granted.

Why is the mother paying all the bills and mortgage ?

These should be paid from the estate if the property is unoccupied, and depending on the L.A., CTX may not be payable.

Is there any equity in the property once the mortgage and HA share have been taken in to consideration ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

it appears there is approximately £70-80k total equity which of course the HA have a 50% claim on, however, it appears there is no mortgage on the property, it was a cash purchase with the other 50% of course being rent payable to the HA. This isn't being paid and is of course wracking up, we're 6 months on since her funeral and i'd guess the debt stands at approximately £1800.

Council Tax apparently won't be due until after probate has been issued, service bills weren't paid for the first two months surround her death but mother is subsequently paying these, unsure of the costs involved.

The worry is if the solicitors in question drag their feet for another 6 months or even 18 months, what debt will be accrued re the house, funeral directors not happy at not being paid, legal fee costs and concerns with the property with bills, council tax and insurances etc . . .

The solicitors in question haven't been in touch with the family, the funeral directors to say they are acting as executors of the estate, A/ is this standard practice or B/ should they have acknowledged all creditors in writing?

The bit about bills being paid by the mother is really worrying. This should be something that the executors need to deal with. If the solicitors are dragging their feet (either through incompetence or neglect of duty), the mother may not see the money being repaid. The funeral director should have been paid out of any cash available in the estate as they get priority over any/all other debts.

The one thing that might be causing delay is the Coroner's Office. They need to investigate the death as it is a suicide, and it is possible that that is the reason the solicitors don't appear to be doing anything.

Have you checked to see if probate has been granted via https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.