Laptop stole on holiday and insurance not helping at all

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3001 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey,

I got insurance through Jet2 when I went to Santa Ponsa last April - My laptop was stole on the first night in the hotel - They denied it and said nothing was stole from the hotel before (Yeah right...) - Quite ironic as while he said it 3 Spanish girls came to the desk and said their money was stole from their room.

I got a police report from Spanish police ( I went with the Spanish girls and they translated )

When I got back I phoned Jet2 - They said the insurance wasnt through them but a different company, I dont know how many times I have phoned and they arent helping.

I also have insurance from Argos but I dont think that covers theft.

It was a brand new laptop that i had for maybe a month, I know it has been a long time but I have been waiting for them to either do a refund or replacement but nothing is happening.

Can anyone help me with what my options are please?

Thanks for any help

What documents have you got relating to the insurance?

Who is the "different company" that you apparently bought the insurance from and how was the insurance arranged?

Jet2 insurance appears to be standard Travel Insurance which should cover theft of personal effects including laptops.

Study the policy wording regarding personal effects to see whether it covered theft of a laptop left in a hotel room. Sometimes there is a wording about items left unattended etc.

There should also be a section covering how to claim, with a telephone number to ring. This is normally a claims assistance company and not Jet2. They usually then send a form out, which you send back with Police report and evidence of owning laptop/value etc. If your claim meets with what the policy covers, they pay out.

Not sure Argos would cover this, unless it says it covers theft abroad. I thought it was an accidental damage type policy.

What about Home Insurance where you lived ? Might be a bit late now, as claims have to be reported within a period of time.

When this happened last April, why has this been left so long ?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I contacted them as soon as I got back, the first day actually and I made a number of phone calls and emails and they were constantly saying someone will get back to me but its always me having to phone them, not once has anyone got back to me.

Jet2 just redirect me to the insurance company - I booked the insurance through Jet2 when I was paying for my flights, just the insurance option on the payment / options page.

I contacted them as soon as I got back, the first day actually and I made a number of phone calls and emails and they were constantly saying someone will get back to me but its always me having to phone them, not once has anyone got back to me.

Jet2 just redirect me to the insurance company - I booked the insurance through Jet2 when I was paying for my flights, just the insurance option on the payment / options page.

I think what happens with Travel Insurance is that the Insurance companies claims company will deal with you using the the reference number provided by J2. This might be the J2 holiday/booking reference number. You then give them these details and if necessary they have some internal way of checking you took out Insurance. Once they confirm you took out Insurance, it is a case of sending a claims form, which you send back with police report etc.

In these situations, you always deal with the Travel Insurers on the telephone number J2 give you. In the event of there being any dispute whether Insurance was arranged, you send them a copy of whatever document you have confirming you took out and paid for the Travel Insurance.

You will find that companies like J2 won't be helpful, if you phone them about Insurance. They pretty much don't take any responsibility, after a customer has ticked a box taking up cover and paying the premium. Your information and premium, should have been electronically sent over to the Travel Insurers within 24 hours.

Speak to the Travel Insurance claim assistance line and make a formal complaint if necessary. Follow it up in writing,

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread