BankFodder BankFodder

HP Mum

Late filing huge bill just received. Help

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1528 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I filed 13-14 accounts late.

I paid £100 penalty in the summer.

Normally I receive a letter of acknowledgement of receiving my return and whether I have any tax to pay a few months after filing.

I didn't hear from them so I chased in Sept/Oct - when they said there had been a processing problem with a bunch of returns that came in around the time mine must have arrived.

Last week I just received notification that I had £0 tax to pay.

Yet this week I received notification that I had £1200 penalty to pay.

How can this be?

No tax; yet such an enormous penalty.

I don't have any 'valid' excuse for being late. And I don't have enough £s to pay it either.

What can I write to ask them to waive such a huge penalty??

Any kind of advice is welcome, thanks...

I filed 13-14 accounts late.

I paid £100 penalty in the summer.

Normally I receive a letter of acknowledgement of receiving my return and whether I have any tax to pay a few months after filing.

I didn't hear from them so I chased in Sept/Oct - when they said there had been a processing problem with a bunch of returns that came in around the time mine must have arrived.

Last week I just received notification that I had £0 tax to pay.

Yet this week I received notification that I had £1200 penalty to pay.

How can this be?

No tax; yet such an enormous penalty.

I don't have any 'valid' excuse for being late. And I don't have enough £s to pay it either.

What can I write to ask them to waive such a huge penalty??

Any kind of advice is welcome, thanks...

If you were more than 6 months late filing, (rather than the delay being at their end) but less than 12 months late, the total penalty is £1300, which is where you might have the £1200 from if you have already paid £100.

How late were you in filing?

You could appeal to their good nature and generosity, highlighting that you've never been late before and didn't know of the penalties.

However "ignorance is no defence", but for someone with a clean slate and no reason to already be aware it might be worth a try.

For ideas as to what they regard as reasonable excuse (& what isn't!)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/354412/sa370-notes.pdf

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?357282-Tax-Return-Late-Filing-Query-on-fine-and-zero-tax&p=3903257#post3903257

Ohh. You've been here before (2012).

I doubt you'll get given much leeway.

What was the outcome in 2012?. You never updated that thread with the result of your appeal and if you had to pay in the end.

14/15 filing deadline looming large .....