BankFodder BankFodder

panther12

Claiming repair costs from hit & run accident.

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1487 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

This is probably similar to crazyhorse7 thread below.

Some scroat smashed into parked cars and drove off without stopping (although they did leave part of their number plate at the scene). One car was a write-off and ours had minor damage. Police were called and investigations continue. Contacted our insurance but they said without id of person & vehicle then any repairs will have to be through our fully comp policy and will have to pay the excess and lose NCB. We didn't bother and told insurance to just mark it down as notification purpose only and had the repairs done privately at my own local garage.

The police have since traced the part number plate and paid the RK a visit and turns out it was the car that hit & run and has since been repaired. We're still waiting to hear the outcome of the police enquiry but they did tell us that it may be difficult to prosecute as the vehicle is on a traders policy with apparently several people who could have been driving and no one is putting their hands up.

We've waiting for police get back with any update but what I want to know is, If the police know the full details of the car involved and assuming there is insurance on that vehicle, even if the driver can't be identified can we claim our repair costs back direct from the insurance company who's associated to that vehicle even if the driver can't be identified?

This is probably similar to crazyhorse7 thread below.

Some scroat smashed into parked cars and drove off without stopping (although they did leave part of their number plate at the scene). One car was a write-off and ours had minor damage. Police were called and investigations continue. Contacted our insurance but they said without id of person & vehicle then any repairs will have to be through our fully comp policy and will have to pay the excess and lose NCB. We didn't bother and told insurance to just mark it down as notification purpose only and had the repairs done privately at my own local garage.

The police have since traced the part number plate and paid the RK a visit and turns out it was the car that hit & run and has since been repaired. We're still waiting to hear the outcome of the police enquiry but they did tell us that it may be difficult to prosecute as the vehicle is on a traders policy with apparently several people who could have been driving and no one is putting their hands up.

We've waiting for police get back with any update but what I want to know is, If the police know the full details of the car involved and assuming there is insurance on that vehicle, even if the driver can't be identified can we claim our repair costs back direct from the insurance company who's associated to that vehicle even if the driver can't be identified?

Yes normally the Insurers of the liable vehicle are responsible.

Speak to your Insurers about this and see if they can help. They might not want to, given that you did not claim from them. The Police may be willing to advise your Insurers of the other Insurance companies details and perhaps if you have legal cover under your Insurance, they can pursue this for you. The Police are often willing to advise Insurance companies of more information, than they are to members of the public, as Police often talk to Insurers about these situations.

I would have thought the Police would try to identify the driver. The company with the traders policy must have some for of log recording who had taken a car out.

If your Insurers are not helpful and you don't have legal cover, see if the Police will advise you of the third parties Insurance details. Also ask if they have a report to provide on this accident, so you can approach the third parties Insurers with the information, to claim your repair costs back.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

When we last spoke to police they said they had requested the owner to attend station for a statement and would take things from there depending on what they have to say. I would have thought that similar rules applied as in the case of speeding. The RK is required to provide driver details and if they can't or won't then they should at least be done for failing to provide. I'll give police a call if not heard by end of week and ask for any info they can provide to pursue civil action against vehicle owner or their insurers - although I don't know if they are allowed to give me their details but the full vehicle details would be a start.

When we last spoke to police they said they had requested the owner to attend station for a statement and would take things from there depending on what they have to say. I would have thought that similar rules applied as in the case of speeding. The RK is required to provide driver details and if they can't or won't then they should at least be done for failing to provide. I'll give police a call if not heard by end of week and ask for any info they can provide to pursue civil action against vehicle owner or their insurers - although I don't know if they are allowed to give me their details but the full vehicle details would be a start.

I believe action is against either the driver or the Insurers. A driver can be responsible because of their action. The Insurers can be responsible, because they hold the third party risk under Road Traffic Acts. The vehicle owner may have nothing to do with it.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

you could also sue the business/trader as they have vicarious liability for their employees.

Thanks for replies, has given me something to go on. Will see about getting something off the police confirming it's the vehicle involved and no question regarding liability, might pass it to some no win/fee motoring solicitor - although not sure if they would be interested as repairs have already keep done.