2nd Hand Car - Do I Have Any Rights?

Forr3s
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3011 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased a 1999 Mondeo yesterday from Carlton Motors in Gloucester with a full years MOT for £500. 75k miles and felt good to drive.

Took my boys to school this morning and had the engine die(rpm dropped to 0) twice in space of 150 yards. eventually got it home only to find an horrendous noise from the water pump area of engine.

Does sale of goods act apply?

Welcome Forr3s.

Do you want the good news or the bad news. The bad new is no soga doesn't apply, the good news, the regulations have changed giving consumers extra rights.

Have a read of this - The Consumers Rights Act 2015 - http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

First you should ring seller and tell them and see what they say. Please come back and tell us and we will be able to help if his response isn't what you want to hear.

The full act is here - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/contents/enacted

Don't forget that your sale of goods rights whether they are in the new legislation or the old legislation depend a great deal on what you bought and what you paid for it and what a reasonable consumer would expect of it.

If you pay £500 for a car then you certainly expected to keep on going for a while. However it's probably unrealistic to expect to keep it going for too long and with out at least some kind of expenditure.

However, if you're new car has got some kind of fundamental fault which stops it working within a few days then you probably are protected by consumer legislation

Don't forget that your sale of goods rights whether they are in the new legislation or the old legislation depend a great deal on what you bought and what you paid for it and what a reasonable consumer would expect of it.

If you pay £500 for a car then you certainly expected to keep on going for a while. However it's probably unrealistic to expect to keep it going for too long and with out at least some kind of expenditure.

However, if you're new car has got some kind of fundamental fault which stops it working within a few days then you probably are protected by consumer legislation

I totally agree with you on the expenditure. as you say that would be expected but less than 24 hours after purchasing, to have what seems to be a seized water pump is something that should have been picked up on by the trader whilst in their possession.

Ok so quick update

Having rung the trader this morning, they have agreed to come and collect the car and quote "get it sorted" but we will see if they try and charge me for anything.