BankFodder BankFodder

HTGY

Do I have a right to appeal this written warning?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1533 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

pls delete

Edited by HTGY

There is always a right to appeal. This should have been given to you at the time.

It is hard though to say whether or not that would be worthwhile, for as you have already suggested this is a case of one person's word against another with very little witness evidence to back it up. I have known people to be dismissed for Gross Misconduct in similar circumstances, and you do admit that at least in the beginning you shouted and shoved each other. My inclination would probably be to let it go and keep out of trouble for the next 12 months, but it depends on how aggrieved you feel. There is always a risk though that an appeal being heard by a higher manager could result in an increased punishment, not a lesser one!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

There is always a right to appeal. This should have been given to you at the time.

It is hard though to say whether or not that would be worthwhile, for as you have already suggested this is a case of one person's word against another with very little witness evidence to back it up. I have known people to be dismissed for Gross Misconduct in similar circumstances, and you do admit that at least in the beginning you shouted and shoved each other. My inclination would probably be to let it go and keep out of trouble for the next 12 months, but it depends on how aggrieved you feel. There is always a risk though that an appeal being heard by a higher manager could result in an increased punishment, not a lesser one!

Sorry I guess that's the wrong choice of wording there, I know I have the right to appeal, what I meant was is there any point in doing so!

The employee handbook does state that the warning could either be reduced in length, taken off completely or simply upheld, can they still increase the punishment even though that isn't mentioned in the handbook?

generally no but in this case it would depend on the attitude of the other person involved and what has happened to them as to whether further more punitive action could be brought. A common clause in employment contracts allows the employer to dismiss for bringing the company into disrepute so it is wise to accept things if they are warranted