BankFodder BankFodder

clairey

Whistleblowing and subsequent victimisation

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1482 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can help regarding whistleblowing and subsequent victimisation?

I am asking on behalf of someone else. Due to the sensitive nature of the situation, I need to be a little vague, I apologise. The person complained at work about a situation that is definitely unethical and probably fraudulent. It involves vulnerable people and a high profile national organisation's name. The person was as a result bullied quite badly and the CEO made barely veiled threats about their job. About 2 weeks after the complaint, a whistleblowing policy retroactively appeared saying workers have a right to whistleblow and they support that, despite it not being the case when the person complained to management. The bullying involved being excluded from decisions/meetings relating to the persons job, being shouted at several times publically for no reasonable reason (causing the person to break down in tears) and various other nasty behaviours including being excluded from talking to anyone as the issue was being concealed and they specified that they were worried the person would talk about it.

The person has now, 4-6 weeks on, been handed a reduced hours letter. This will put the person in a financial position of possibly having to reject the new hours, dismissal and possible claim.

So to my question: does this sound like a constructive process to you? I feel the timing of the reduced hours is rather pointed given what has been happening recently and a desire to either force the person to resign or get a new contract in to dismiss (the person has been there 11-12 years.) And I am frustrated that this person is in tears daily about how they are being treated just for speaking out against an injustice. I am not even joking that if any of this was given to the media they would have a field day (even just the bullying, if we were to take out the other thing, would make an amazing headline given who they are and where they work).

Is that too vague to even understand? I'm sorry, I guess just venting it all out helps.

Thanks.

well, a new contract cannot be forced upon a person and if there are no changes that the company is forced to make due to financail, technological or similar reasons then it wont be looked upon favourably if they do dismiss.

I presume this company is a service proveder to a public body so have a look at reporting to the trustees of that body if they have a policy on how the companies the use are supposed to behave. Also consider whether the company would treat another employee the same way and thus does the person have a protected characteristic or discrimination facet to the bullying.

One problem you will face is that some organisations believe that as they are there to help they have the right to be given a god like status and therfore they cannot be questioned. This allows someone in authority to behave abominably because the whole organisation and its "caring" ethos will not be called into question.

Well said ericsbrother re the Godlike status. Tshirt and video. It's a tough road to travel as I've found to my cost. As many other whistle blowers have discovered.