Employer replaced my personal phone with work phone, is it mine?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3009 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When I joined my company 3 years back, I had a Samsung Galaxy S3. My boss wanted to get me a work phone and said it would be better for me to use the work phone as a personal phone as well so I only needed one phone.

He bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 for me to use as a work phone.

Few days later, a work friend of ours had his phone stolen, my boss pretty much took my old phone and gave it to him to use (and later keep), pretty much assuming that since he replaced my personal phone, that that phone then belonged to him.

So now I only have a work phone with a shared number. I want to know if this Galaxy S5 is now technically mine?

(I have now decided to get a new personal phone anyway).

In principle it isn't yours. It still belongs to the company. Your old one which was taken by your boss still belongs to you.

All a bit complicated.

I suggest that the best thing to do is to start off by asking your boss whether the S5 should be considered as yours because you no longer have your S3 because it was given to your colleague.

You have to deal with this in a very careful way because otherwise you'll end up making enemies with your boss which will prejudice your work

I wasn't sure. The way he saw it was that if he is giving me a brand new phone, he gets the old one. I thought he gave it to this other guy to use for a couple of weeks as his was stolen, but seemed to just keep it. I am unsure if he sold it to him or just gave it to him.

I decided to get a S6 for myself to keep my personal away from my business phone, mainly if I choose to leave the company, I wouldn't have to do this in a rush.

Why did you hand your phone to your Boss when given a work phone?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Quiet literally it was on my desk and he took it. I found it on his desk and took it back. He later mentioned it and said he was going to let the other guy use it (I don't remember he said keep it or just use it for now). So I factory reset it and handed it back to him to give to the other guy.

I've just assumed this meant the work phone is mine.

This isn't the only thing this has happened with. I managed to get loads of IT equipment free, including Apple Airport Extreme's, wireless Apple keyboards etc. He took a bunch of that home too. Not secretly, he literally picked the stuff out of the box infront of me as if I had agreed prior.

I've known him 10 years, and worked at a previous job with him, so I know him quite well. This is a bit off though.

Has this Boss got a superior or is he the head honcho ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you just keep letting him take your stuff without saying anything then of course he will think he can keep taking your stuff.....

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

get the old phone blocked and make a written complaint. Whatever the terms of the provision of the new phone it doesnt give anyone the right to deprive another of their property.

Good point..... Joey was it a PAYG or Contract?

When I joined my company 3 years back, I had a Samsung Galaxy S3. My boss wanted to get me a work phone and said it would be better for me to use the work phone as a personal phone as well so I only needed one phone.

He bought a Samsung Galaxy S5 for me to use as a work phone.

Few days later, a work friend of ours had his phone stolen, my boss pretty much took my old phone and gave it to him to use (and later keep), pretty much assuming that since he replaced my personal phone, that that phone then belonged to him.

So now I only have a work phone with a shared number. I want to know if this Galaxy S5 is now technically mine?

(I have now decided to get a new personal phone anyway).

Why deal with this now, when he will claim his memory is blurred.

If it happened 3 years ago : that was when you should have said something.

Do you really want to make waves now, 3 years down the line?

The way I see it is the mobile ur boss took is still urs. Ur boss decided to give u the new mobile off his own back. I would say if u ever left that u would have to have back ur old phone. Can u sign up an agreement over ur mobile or am I being a bit silly over this? :/

RLP are a con PLEASE DON'T PAY THEM TO DO MORE! IGNORE ALL LETTERS AND CALLS! :)

I am all confused! Why did your boss asked for your personal phone? If he kept it, he should have told you that "this S5 is yours now and your S3 is ours".

You shouldn't have handed over your personal phone in the first place or if you did, you should have cleared it out.

What's done is done. You should now talk to your boss politely and ask if this S5 is yours because you're looking to change it for a newer model. I hope your boss won't find your concern offensive in any way.