NIP Driving Without Due Care - ** NO FURTHER ACTION **

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2874 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I work as a van driver, doing home deliveries.

A couple of weeks ago I delivered to one of two attached cottages along a narrow, unlit, unmade road. After completing the delivery I had to turn the van around, as my only alternative was to reverse around 100 yds back to the main road (I should point out that it was dark at the time).

I completed the turn outside the cottages, as that was the only point wide enough, and drove to the end of the road, where I stopped for a few moments to work out my next route. I was then approached by the owner of the second cottage who informed me that I had reversed into his oil tank.

After apologising and confirming that I was unaware of any contact, I gave him the "bump card" that we carry, which has the contact details of the Company, and he also took a photo of the registration number. He said he couldn't tell in the dark, if there was any damage, but would check the following day.

I heard no more, and assumed that all was okay, but today I was informed by my manager that they had received an NIP for driving without due care and attention. I would have thought that this was purely a matter for the insurance company, and am surprised the the police can prosecute on the strength of one person's allegation, without even speaking to me, or being present at the time to witness it.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Hurley1961
Paras.

being reasonable, they shld've gone to your company first re the company/insurance sorting it out. did yr employer/insurer have any prior notification/report of the incident.

otherwise, it looks like they've gone straight to the police!

I think they've asked for the driver information at this stage. The puzzling thing is that if he'd gone the insurance route, I'm sure I'd have heard about it by now, as we have all sorts of forms to complete. I can't see what he has to gain by going to the Police.

If indeed the owner as he claims you damaged his oil tank then you must request the repair report from the oil company. As they would of had to attend to check to see if there was ant leakage.

If the oil company cannot provide any report ask them for the details of the incident and if it was reported to them.

Do this regardless of police involvement and if they fail to provide tell the Police this as well. It may help the Police and not continuing with the alleged offence....

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Did you request a copy of the damage report and photographic proof of the alleged offence? Have the Police shown you any of this? As a driver you will have proof of delivery yes? Therefore you will have the address. I would use Google maps to see if their car picked up the oil tank in their photograph and may be just maybe it shows the name of the company it belongs to? Then contact them directly to get the information. Just thinking out loud here!

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

also have a look at the property using satellite imagery to see if that yields any information about where the tank was. Showing due care is not the same as not having an accident, without due care indicates negligence and under your circumstances there is a lot to consider as what was reasonable under those conditions.

I haven't requested any information yet, as I am still waiting to hear from the Police directly. I know the address, as the delivery is quite a regular one and I've delivered there at least half a dozen times, so I can take another look at it in the daylight to find out the company details.

take photo's of the drive way in the day light, also try get a log to show what time you delivered the parcel in order to prove what the light condition's would be, when taking photos of drive way point towards the air to show lack ok street light's, if possible take photo's of the oil tank if it's still there

• 2 weeks later...

The oil tank won't belong to a company. Ours belongs to us, was fitted by an engineer and is re-filled by whomever is cheapest in the area when it needs re-filling.

Don't automatically assume that there'll be some big, formal damage report. If ours is acting up we call the local guy who fitted it for us, not Shell or BP.

My views are my own and are not representative of any organisation. if you've found my post helpful please click on the star below.

The oil tank won't belong to a company. Ours belongs to us, was fitted by an engineer and is re-filled by whomever is cheapest in the area when it needs re-filling.

Don't automatically assume that there'll be some big, formal damage report. If ours is acting up we call the local guy who fitted it for us, not Shell or BP.

Prices are quite good at the moment for oil arent they :) Although still very high for domestic fuel - 11p a litre when we had ours installed 18 years ago - at one point it went up to around 69p but down to 43p currently.

I would have thought you would have felt a bump if you had hit the oil tank ? And yes, generally they are owned by the home owner.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 3 months later...

A quick follow up to this incident.

As suggested, I took several photos of the driveway, and the tank (no visible damage) and sent that all off to the Police, along with my statement. About 3 weeks later I received a letter advising me that no further action would be taken. In addition, there was never any claim against the company insurance.

Thanks for all the advice.