Welsh Water claim form received £2132.70***On Appeal Judgment Struck Out***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2578 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The hard work has been all yours witsend, all we do is try to point people in the right direction to help themselves to the knowledge they need to fight back properly.

Glad to see your still fighting.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Make certain you file and serve on time Witsend, regardless of what they do or dont do.

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

• 3 weeks later...

Im not 100% sure I would contact the courts witsend, i would prefer to let them hang themselves by not filing it and make it the first thing you bring to the courts attention on Thurs.

Agree. If they provide it late, then advise the Judge that they have severly affected your ability to respond as a LiP.

The Judge might decide that a adjournment is needed and Welsh Water can pay for Thursdays hearing costs of both sides, but you may need to suggest this. You would have had a week to work on a response had they filed on time, so a weeks adjournment would be minimum expected.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Im not 100% sure I would contact the courts witsend, i would prefer to let them hang themselves by not filing it and make it the first thing you bring to the courts attention on Thurs.

This was my initial thought

however I need to know how they intend to defend the case.

I don't want to be put on the spot I need to be prepared.

I will makes sure the court are fully aware it was filed late

This is the case in a nut shell all comes down to section 144

it is ordered that....pdf

So if you remind them and they supply it Tuesday or Wednesday, then Judge says you have had enough time. They might respond by quoting relevant case law and you then need time to think about it. Might be unfair, but trying to argue about failure to file on time without knowing court rules on this, might put you in a difficult position.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I just want it over and done with the appeal is purely on the section 144 as to when was the relevant date.

I'm hoping this is a sign they are not continuing the battle and will not attend

Dont hold your breath about them attending, always assume they will be there.

They may even try to slip it to you just before the hearing itself, been done many a time in the past. Dont let them get away with any such underhand tricks

How many agents visits to the property by Veolia ?

I take it that the supply is not metered ?

Did Fredriksons advise Welsh Water ?

I can see what they are saying that you did not inform WW directly that you had vacated the property and were not using any water sewerage. The question arises that had you informed them, then WW would have asked you about the situation e.g was the property to remain empty with water turned off

Welsh water were not acting on the account at time in question, fredricksons were, they were advised in many collection calls that I had vacated the address.

In total 3 visits by Veolia their appointed representative.

The supply is metered

Frederick's ons did not advice Welsh water and a SAR has been useless as over 6 years ago

Its quite heavy reading, I'll have another read later.

I take it at this time you will be relying solely on s144 4(b) in that the termination became effected when the meter was read?

Have you also submitted a skeleton argument for why its applicable?

Might be a question already answered, but given that the supply is metered, then the bill must relate to water usage and relevant sewerage costs at the address.

Your argument is that you were not the occupier liable for the usage ?

The water act seems to say that unless you told them you moved out, you were still the occupier under the act that was responsible for any usage. There is no definition of ' occupier' in the act ?

Unless you have a solid argument that s144(4)(b) applies i really cant see any other outcome than that of the original judge.

Read what i wrote witsend, i didnt say it didnt apply, i said unless you have a solid argument that it does apply. Given they have provided an argument that it doesnt.

you must argue that it does and much will depend on who is the more convincing on the day.

Is this bill based on estimated usage or actual ? Where a meter cannot be read, i believe they send a bill based on previous usage. Did they do this ?

When a relative went into a care home, their meter which was inside the front door was not read for about a year. There were various threat letters sent about responsibilities under the water act etc. They read it in the end, as someone was there on another meter reading visit and explained no usage, as the occupier was in a care home. This was fed back to the water company and a bill was issued at nil being outstanding.

After Veolia visited 3 times in about a week, what actions did WW take ?

What other visits took place by Veolia or WW or other agents ?

I think the principle under the water act is that the occupier has left an open connection, for which the water company have no way of finding out what the true position is in regard to billing for usage. The visits by Veolia are just showing an opinion by the agent that the property is empty. WW have then billed on the basis of estimated usage, due to not being able to read the meter. Fredricksons have then chased the debt and are not an agent in regard to notifying about occupancy of a property and usage.

I think you should be looking into water industry standards about what they should be doing in these circumstances where a property is empty and they can't read a meter. Presumably letters were sent to the address on numerous occasions trying to make contact.

This is the argument that I will have to go with.

I fail to see the relevance and or justification of some points within their defence, I just hope the judge on the day will allow common sense to prevail

I have mentioned in this document that surely it is the water providers obligation to investigate missed meter readings

pdf literature water.pd.pdf