• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Kier1986 v Halifax - SETTLED IN FULL

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6490 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi kier, have you started a claim against them? can you pay off the account? if you can i would then claim it all back off them if not be patient someone on here will get back to you! i dont deal with halifax so am not familiar with their tactics, but someone will help i'm sure. DONT PANIC! that may well be what they want you to do, also if you havent already open a parachute account Diane

I haven't started it because I didn't have the £50 fee! I have it today and depending on what advice I get I'm off to file the claim! What a rude awakening this has been! On such an un-holy day! 6/6/06 !! Not my day is it?

AND I have my theory exam today :(

AMOUNT CLAIMING £479.03p

2nd May- Prelim letter sent

12th May - No Reply

18th May - LBA sent

24th May - Letter received telling me the situation is now "serious"

6th June - Arranged a payment plan of £30 per month AND filed my claim - 12 days remaining.

8th June - Offer made of £137.00p

15th June - Acknowledgment of service with intention of defending :O

21st June - complete refund offered and accepted

Thank you and Good Night!

“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” -Elie Wiesel

1. do you have an other accounts with Halifax ?

2. do you have any benifits\wages paid into this account ?

i would write them a letter if what they owe you on this account is more than the debt stating that the debt is in dispute and you will not be making payment until you are happy with the situation

Halifax Credit Card - £408.16 - Settled in FULL 26/6/06

Halifax Loans - £397.97 - Settled in FULL 25/8/06

GE Money Topman £216.75 - SETTLED IN FULL

Marbles LBA - £475.00 - £250 Offered :rolleyes:

Halifax Current Account LBA - SETTLED IN FULL

Yorkshire Bank Current Accounts £2271.77 - Issued 30/6/06 - Default Judgement Issued - Warrant of Execution Requested

Capital One - LBA - £88 Knocked of Balance

Egg PPI - LBA

They're trying to bully you. As already advised. Write to them, offer to pay the overdraft off with an amount you can afford. Make it clear that you are paying them off but you will reclaim all the charges levied that have pushed you into overdraft. Inform them that you are reporting them to the OFT for harrassment and bullying. Inform them that you are charging them £39 for your adminitstrative costs and you expect to fund your account accorrdingly. Get a new account and move. Look at a S10 action to stop them from processing any information about you to Credit Reference agencies.

Keep EVERY single letter you write or they send to you.

no your account does not need to be out of the red to claim

if what they owe you is more than the current level of debt - write a letter disputing the debt and carry on with your claim

or set up a payment plan with them - at the end of the day the bank wants their money back, but so do you

offer them a token payment if they require some sort of payment

i currently have a halifax account which is £350 in red - and i have a payment plan with them to pay back about £7 a month

Halifax Credit Card - £408.16 - Settled in FULL 26/6/06

Halifax Loans - £397.97 - Settled in FULL 25/8/06

GE Money Topman £216.75 - SETTLED IN FULL

Marbles LBA - £475.00 - £250 Offered :rolleyes:

Halifax Current Account LBA - SETTLED IN FULL

Yorkshire Bank Current Accounts £2271.77 - Issued 30/6/06 - Default Judgement Issued - Warrant of Execution Requested

Capital One - LBA - £88 Knocked of Balance

Egg PPI - LBA

Kier1986 don't panic, for now just think about you exam.

The bank wants exactly want you are doing PANICING so don't give them the satisfaction.

Someone on this forum will be able to help I'm sure.

Good Luck with your exam.

Sent Data Protection Act to Halifax 13.6.06

Daughters Data Protection Act sent to NatWest 5.6.06

Natwest sent statements on 24.6.06 Daughter owed £204.00 Preliminary ready to go.

Halifax sent my statements today(26.6.06) Owe me £1702.00

Preliminary sent on 27. 6.06.

Thanks everyone, I've agreed to pay £30 a month starting on the 13th June to clear the balance and requested a stop on the account...Now I'm definately off to revise for my exam and then going to give in my N1 claim form as I have now got the £50! :p yaay Thank you all!

AMOUNT CLAIMING £479.03p

12th May - No Reply

18th May - LBA sent

6th June - Arranged a payment plan of £30 per month AND filed my claim - 12 days remaining.

“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” -Elie Wiesel

kier, i just saw your post and wanted to tell you my situation

I cant read your letters as they come up small on my pc! but I have had a notice of debt from the halifax, and threats etc, but I am in the process of setting up a payment plan to them,through consumer credit counselling service, , with regard to my overdraft debt, they sent me the letter ages after I sent them a notice of a debt management plan, which was in the pack from the cccs, obviously as usual they dont read it, so hence the Notice of Debt.

I see you have offered to pay them which is good, as i have done so, so i feel confident in claiming now as i have my overdraft debt covered.

so dont panic and good luck in your theory.

Halifax preliminary letter sent 17/05/06 charges £2661.00

Bog Standard blah blah blah letter received 22nd May 2006.

received lengthy letter dated 24th May 2006 offering £605 pah!

letter before action sent registered 5th June 2006

letter received in response to lba offering £1801.00 errrrr no ta

court action filed 23rd June 2006

deemed served to bank on25th June 2006

notice of acknowledgement of service has been filed

they intend to defend

7th july received letter PAYING IN FULL!!!

10th July cash deposit £112.58

10th July cash deposit £2869.00

:D :D :D :D

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

Right so Halifax owe my £469.03p and have made a "gracious offer of goodwill" of £137.00p :-|

Now excuse me if this sounds stupid but... WHAT THE HELL!? Why would I accept such a "gracious" offer when it wouldn't even cover the unauthorised overdraught?!

They must think I'm stupid!

Anyone else had any ridiculous offers?

AMOUNT CLAIMING £479.03p

12th May - No Reply

18th May - LBA sent

Yep. B/card, looking at 2.5k, they offered me £60!!!!

PS: Can you please keep your updates and queries relating to the same claim to the one thread? I've just had to merge 3 threads, all relating to your Halifax claim! mad.gif

haha! that's disgusting! I wonder who decides on thses stupid offers? Maybe they have some sort of low random number generator...or they all just pick the lowest possible amount that they think they can peeve us off with!?

AMOUNT CLAIMING £479.03p

12th May - No Reply

18th May - LBA sent

That's only because the threads I make disappear! :( I'm sorry

AMOUNT CLAIMING £479.03p

12th May - No Reply

18th May - LBA sent

Here's a copy of the reply to my "gracious" offer

Dear Mr Robertshaw,

Thank you for your recent letter dated 6th June. I am only glad that after a month of me trying to contact someone within your company that you have found the time to do so.

I am sure you will appreciate that after nearly two months of correspondence regards the unfair penalties, in respect of charges, levied from my account that my patience has been amicable. However, it has now worn thin.

I would like to remind you of your “gracious” offer of goodwill as stated in your letter; “I am prepared to refund £137.00 of charges in full and in final settlement of your complaint.”

Firstly I would like to thank you for your offer, but I must turn it down. As I have previously stated; I calculate that you have taken £429.03p in charges from my account in the passed six months. Hopefully this will illustrate why I am both disgusted and shocked by your offer.

I would like to point out that I have filed an N1 claim form with my local Small Claims Court, which you should of received copies of on 7th June 2006.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you once again for this offer and invite you to make any further offers that you feel are fair, before the 14 day deadline of my court claim (21st June 2006).

AMOUNT CLAIMING £479.03p

12th May - No Reply

18th May - LBA sent

• 2 weeks later...

I've finally been offered a full refund on all bank charges plus interest! :D

AMOUNT CLAIMING £479.03p

12th May - No Reply

18th May - LBA sent

CONGRATULATIONS

This is great news, well done.

Would you please fill out our survey - Bank Charges Refund Survey

(and don't forget we can only survive if we get donations!! cough cough)

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

:D Congratulations, Kier ... you fought the good fight and won! Well done!

:) Go on ... you know you want to click me :)

:lol:don't be like the banks - give a little back :lol:

:D There was a time before CAG but now CAG is here we are the empowered! :D

In progress:

Mechs and Mother (deceased) V Halifax - N1 form filed at Court 9 Aug 06

Advice & opinions of mechs, The Consumer Action Group and The Bank Action Group are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Seek advice of a qualified insured professional if you have any doubts.

well done

fight the good fight!!

Halifax preliminary letter sent 17/05/06 charges £2661.00

Bog Standard blah blah blah letter received 22nd May 2006.

received lengthy letter dated 24th May 2006 offering £605 pah!

letter before action sent registered 5th June 2006

letter received in response to lba offering £1801.00 errrrr no ta

court action filed 23rd June 2006

deemed served to bank on25th June 2006

notice of acknowledgement of service has been filed

they intend to defend

7th july received letter PAYING IN FULL!!!

10th July cash deposit £112.58

10th July cash deposit £2869.00

:D :D :D :D

HALIFAX SETTLED IN FULL

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 2019-03-08.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

AMOUNT CLAIMING £479.03p

12th May - No Reply

18th May - LBA sent

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6490 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks