• Tweets

• love the extra £1000 charge for confidentialy there BF   Also OP even if they don't offer OOC it doesn't mean your claim isn't good. I had 3 against EVRi that were heard over the last 3 weeks. They sent me emails asking me to discontinue as I wouldn't win. Went infront of a judge and won all 3.    Just remember the law is on your side. The judges will be aware of this.   Where you can its important to try to point out at the hearing the specific part of the contract they breached. I found this was very helpful and the Judge made reference to it when they gave their judgements and it seemed this was pretty important as once you have identified a specific breach the matter turns straight to liability. From there its a case of pointing out the unlawfullness of their insurance and then that should be it.
    • I know dx and thanks again for yours and others help. I was 99.999% certain last payment was over six years ago if not longer.  👍
    • Paragraph 23 – "standard industry practice" – put this in bold type. They are stupid to rely on this and we might as well carry on emphasising how stupid they are. I wonder why they could even have begun to think some kind of compelling argument – "the other boys do it so I do it as well…" Same with paragraph 26   Paragraph 45 – The Defendants have so far been unable to produce any judgements at any level which disagree with the three judgements…  …court, but I would respectfully request…   Just the few amendments above – and I think it's fine. I think you should stick to the format that you are using. This has been used lots of times and has even been applauded by judges for being meticulous and clear. You aren't a professional. Nobody is expecting professional standards and although it's important that you understand exactly what you are doing – you don't really want to come over to the judge that you have done this kind of thing before. As a litigant in person you get a certain licence/leeway from judges and that is helpful to you – especially if you are facing a professional advocate. The way this is laid out is far clearer than the mess that you will get from EVRi. Quite frankly they undermine their own credibility by trying to say that they should win simply because it is "standard industry practice". It wouldn't at all surprise me if EVRi make you a last moment offer of the entire value of your claim partly to avoid judgement and also partly to avoid the embarrassment of having this kind of rubbish exposed in court. If they do happen to do that, then you should make sure that they pay everything. If they suddenly make you an out-of-court offer and this means that they are worried that they are going to lose and so you must make sure that you get every penny – interest, costs – everything you claimed. Finally, if they do make you an out-of-court offer they will try to sign you up to a confidentiality agreement. The answer to that is absolutely – No. It's not part of the claim and if they want to settle then they settle the claim as it stands and don't try add anything on. If they want confidentiality then that will cost an extra £1000. If they don't like it then they can go do the other thing. Once you have made the amendments suggested above – it should be the final version. court,. I don't think we are going to make any more changes. Your next job good to make sure that you are completely familiar with it all. That you understand the arguments. Have you made a court familiarisation visit?
    • just type no need to keep hitting quote... as has already been said, they use their own criteria. if a person is not stated as linked to you on your file then no cant hurt you. not all creditors use every CRA provider, there are only 3 main credit file providers mind, the rest are just 3rd party data sharers. if you already have revolving credit on your file there is no need to apply for anything just 'because' you need to show you can handle money. if you have bank account(s) and a mortgage which you are servicing (paying) then nothing more can improve your score, despite what these 'scam' sites claiml  its all a CON!!  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Low income, 6 year old debts and worrying about the possibility of future court action

amerillo
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2973 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I have been trawling this site for a while hoping to find an answer to my issue,

but nothing with the exact specifics and was looking for some advice.

Over 6 years ago now, I was forced to leave my job (long story that is out of the scope of this query!),

meaning I was no longer able to afford the lifestyle that I had bought into.

Hence, credits cards, loan and car were the victims, and I unfortunately defaulted on all (5 debts in total, to the tune of approx. £20k).

The job market being the way it was, I found no further work, and decided to try and enhance my future by returning to education.

I informed all creditors that my income had vastly reduced to that of a student,

and hence came to the agreement that I could make token payments of £1 to each individual one, and that was that.

Since, I have not even attempted to apply for a single bit of credit, and lived with a basic bank account, which has served me well

- one thing I have certainly learnt how to do is not to live up to the limit of my means!!

since the defaults,

I have moved house twice, and have lost track of the debt collection agencies that were involved (I believe the debts were sold on),

although I have maintained the token payments as they were simply standing orders set to go out automatically.

Hence, I have no idea of any communication that may have been made.

This week, I checked my Equifax and Experian history out of interest to see if the old defaults had fallen off,

and all looks good, the last two due to go by March.

However, I have come to realise that despite this, the creditors may still decide to take enforcement action against me at any point, which is rather disconcerting;

I have just begun my PhD, which is due to last for another 4 years, hence a total of 10ish years on a poor income!!!

Of course, I have the full intention of settling this money when I finally graduate and get employment

(prospects look quite good for future salaries in my field), so don't want/need advice on how to dodge,

however, what I want is to break the hold of them being able to take action against me on their terms,

as this hanging over my head is a bit worrying.

What advice would you give?

I have thought of two things, but not sure of there true implications:

Cancel the token payments and hope that enough time passes for the limitations act to apply and then repay when I can? Or, make contact and offer lower full and final settlements (family may be able to help with lump sums)?

Any other thoughts?

Regards

AM

Hello and welcome to CAG.

Firstly check your credit file and ensure that your current address and any previous addresses are on there.

Secondly can you name all of these creditors, the current amount or last known amount you owed, and exactly what these debts are, credit cards, loans etc.

Are your SO's still being paid out by your bank? If so who are the payments going to?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Also you may now Want to consider sending a CCA request to all of your creditors.

That would be a good start.

They only cost £1 each and worth every penny... click on the link for details...

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Thanks for the replies.

Hello and welcome to CAG.

Firstly check your credit file and ensure that your current address and any previous addresses are on there.

Secondly can you name all of these creditors, the current amount or last known amount you owed, and exactly what these debts are, credit cards, loans etc.

Are your SO's still being paid out by your bank? If so who are the payments going to?

My credit file shows all addresses as I have had either phone bills, or basic bank accounts linked to all, so that box is ticked.

I have dug out some old paperwork for the original defaults/arrangements, but the details between then and now are a little hazy as I have lost track of who owns what (perhaps some of the debts were sold on to other agencies since???!!):

Personal loan from First Direct - £7k

Credit card from First Direct - £2.7k

Credit card from Halifax - £3.5k

Credit card from Egg - £2.8k

Northridge Car finance (after handing car back voluntarily) - £5.6k

I'm not sure of the exact process flow of these debts, as aside from the original creditors, I have kept various letters from solicitors and debt collectors who were either acting on their behalf, or who had purchased the debt, however ultimately, my token standing order payments ended up with the following, and this has not been changed since:

Metropolitan Collection Services Ltd - both First Direct accounts

Robinson Way Ltd - Halifax

Direct Legal and Collections - Egg

Iqor - Northridge

Also you may now Wang to consider sending a CCA request to all of your creditors. That would be a good start. They only cost £2 each and worth every penny... click on the link for details...

I have read about the CCA thing, although from what I can gather, there seems to be conflicting information out there as to whether that would be a defence (most likely I have misunderstood!). From what I have seen, this would only be useful in the case of a pre- April 2007 agreement - I think this applies to only 2 of the creditors (Egg and the First Direct loan) - is there a way of finding out as I no longer have all that paperwork. . There also seems to be a suggestion that case law governs (???). Also, would the CCA thing come across as a little "passive-aggressive" so to speak? Would it get the backs up of the creditors and make them want to pursue me through the courts?

As a side note, I am a little baffled as to why no action has yet been taken by any of the creditors. These are quite substantial amounts, which I arranged to pay token payments for, which were supposed to be regularly reviewed, but nobody has really chased me for 6 years (I imagine that if they wanted, they could have found my current address easily from my credit file/electoral roll etc as I have not been trying to hide). Why would there have been such little done? I've read about people having court action for a few hundred pounds, let alone thousands!

Thanks in advance

AM

There has been so little done because you're a good source of income for them, cash cowing as it's called.

They don't want to rock the boat because you're an easy stream of regular profit for them.

Pre 07 CCA's will require the 'original' agreement to enforce in court yes, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't send CCA requests to ALL the DCA's you're paying, they cost £1 not two, and you should send a blank postal order with your request, they have 12=2 days in which to send you a copy of the CCA, failing which, you can stop paying until they do.

Credit cards are likely to be loaded with charges, which can be reclaimed reducing the total owing, and if any of them have PPI on them, then that too should be reclaimed.

If you've not got the complete history of these accounts then send a SAR (£10) to each of the creditors for the information.

The car finance, how long into it did you VT the car?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I took the car out in Nov 2007, and defaulted in about April 2009 (approx.). At this point, I handed back the car, which was auctioned, and the sale price offset against what was owed. How does this affect things?

Would they take this cash cow attitude with someone like me who is only paying £1 a month as a token gesture?? I imagine the hassle, paperwork and admin would cost more than that! I like the idea of the CCA route though, what is the likelihood that they will still be able to produce those documents??

Based on the advice, my thought process is this:

Send out the CCA request to the last known companies dealing with the account, and if any write back stating that they have no longer any dealings with it, or cannot produce it, cancel the token payments and sleep easy at night until I am ready? If I am presented with the CCA, then what do you think is the likelihood of them accepting a very low F&F? I'm thinking that in light of the age of the debt (I assume a debt this old is not worth much to sell on?) and how little has been paid off, they will accept a low F & F as there is a very real risk to them that if they may not get much return if I continue to make such small payments, or worse, go bankrupt (this is just my understanding from a logical point of view, but maybe these companies don't think this way!).

Am I thinking this through properly?!

Thanks again

AM

IMO, I would CCA all those you are currently paying, enclose a £1 postal order, leave it blank, http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387435-CCA-Request-Consumer-Credit-Act-1974-**Updated-January-2015**

They have 12+2 days (working) in which to respond with the CCA, when they don't you can stop payments until such time that they do produce the agreement.

They should be sending you a statement of account annually, have you been receiving these at all?

As for offering a F&F settlement, this should be done carefully, as they will almost always take your money, then sell the remainder of the debt on to another fleecing DCA who will harass you for the rest.

I may have been sent those statements, but as I have moved twice, I have lost track completely of what has/has not been sent. With regards to the F&F, I was under the impression that as long as I received written documentation from the current DCA of the settlement being "Full and Final" as opposed to "Partial", then whether they sell the debt on or not is irrelevant as it will not be enforceable by any subsequent DCAs. Is this not correct? - I am not bothered about receiving letters asking for money if I know they can do little else!

This is the rotten to the core financial industry we're talking about here.

They will say one thing and do the complete opposite.

I wouldn't worry about F&F offers just yet, leave that for a later date, start at the beginning first and see what they have.

Haha! Point taken!

I will get the CCA letters sent out and then progress from there. Thanks. A couple more questions, if you don't mind:

I have checked my credit report on Experian and Equifax and all is pretty much as expected there. Is it worth bothering with Call Credit?

With respect to the CCAs, I guess the car finance, being HP would come under section 79? (just checking to be sure!) When I defaulted on the loan and credit card payments from First Direct, they closed my current account also, which had an overdraft attached (which I was in). They then lumped the balance of my overdraft and credit card together under one. Which section would this apply to, as I have read that overdrafts don't have CCAs attached.

Thanks again

AM

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had an answer to the above post before I send my CCA requests?

Also, I have just come across this statement from doing some research on CCAs etc and wondered if it were true:

"There is and has never been a requirement to give a copy of the original signed agreement. CCA requests are to provide you with information of what agreement you signed not proof that you signed an agreement. Carey v HSBC is a key case which clarified what they need to provide."

Any responses would be much appreciated.

Thanks

AM

You need to stop believing the rubbish off DCA's websites, of course they're going to attempt to mitigate and sew a seed of doubt in the debtors minds.

I doubt you need to check Call credit either, if the others have it on there, then that will be good enough.

HP come under s.79 correct yes.

The two separate accounts that where lumped together are the banks problem, they know that they can't do this as you quite rightly said, they fall under two completely separate parts of the CCA, with different T&C's, different interest rates, penalties etc etc etc.

However, either the ban or clueless DCA will have sent a reference number for this 'account' (which doesn't exist) so you should use that reference number to request the CCA, which they won't have, because there never was an agreement in the first place that combined an overdraft & credit card.

So until they separate both accounts, you won't pay a penny, and even then you will be reclaiming all of the late payment charges levied on the overdraft, and all of the charges levied on the credit card.

What that little paragraph doesn't & won't tell you is that ALL agreements pre 2007 MUST have a signature for them to enforce in court, and if they had a copy of the 'true signed' agreement, why wouldn't they send it when requested? Wouldn't be because they act like spoilt little children would it and are intent on frustrating the legal process?

The paragraph was actually not from a DCA site, but rather from another consumer type forum that came up in the search engine when I typed in "CCA" (I won't say which, but probably wouldn't be too hard to find out!!). I'm convinced there are some pro-DCA people roaming around on some of those sites! Thanks for clearing stuff up for me. I will now get onto the CCA request process and see what happens............ wish me luck!

I will post my progress as I go!

Thanks

AM

might be an idea you start a thread for each debt in the named bank forum of the OC.

from the top left main forum tab...

two things...

first

the car finance...you say you handed the car back

I assume you got done over and they robbed you blind by accepting it as a voluntary surrender - which means you owe the lot

rather than voluntary Termination whereby yo only owe 50% .....and charged you repo fees too?

second ...

first direct are HSBC...of that era HSBC had a nasty tactic of merging stuff and calling it a managed loan or managed whatever.

they got a very big telling off I believe for doing that too 10'000 of people

merging a non regulated debt with a regulated debt and lumping them together under a regulated loan

I bet you've £1000's to reclaim

in unlawful fees , PPI, various useless insurance across all your debts.

sar time to each original creditor too

get all the statements.

as for paying anything off.

it wont improve your credit rating

and if the debts have already dropped off

they cant comeback up.

just be wary of sneaky CCJ's to previous addresses esp if the debts have been sold to a fleecing DCA

a CCJ will kill your future for another 6yrs

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

That is a good idea, when I start getting responses through, I will create the appropriate threads...... I'm expecting this all to be a bit of a saga!

What I did wonder is, since I'm pretty sure none of them have me current address, am I required to state any previous addresses in my CCA requests, or just my current?

With regards to the VT of the car, I've looked over some old paperwork, and to be fair, it does look like they abided by the 50% rule.

Do you know what the outcome was with regards to the merged HSBC debts?

Does this put me into a better position?

I'm not so sure about the PPI charges as I was always too tight to take out anything other than the basic money, but to be honest, I can't remember, it being so long ago...

.... is there a way to find out whether I am due any PPI refunds?

I have read a bit about the SAR thing,

but am wondering what extra ammunition this would give me?

AM

The merged HSBC debts are a no no, you just cannot do it, but they're hoping you won't realise that.

Amongst other things, they will have different %rates, T&C's and one might have PPI the other not,

it's a tried & tested trick by the corrupt financial industry, to basically flog off debts they know are riddled with reclaimable fees and charges, hence why they wrap them all up in one and flog them to the most docile of buyers.

A SAR will get you ALL of the information relating too that account and anything other that you specifically request from them, so this will tell you if you had PPI, and what charges they have levied on your account, it can also flag up any phone calls you made, or they made, the content of those calls and any correspondence between you and them.

As for the CCA request, if you were at a particular address when you took out the agreement, and you ask them to send it to your new address, then quite rightly they're going to ask questions, it is best to ensure that all of your addresses are showing on your CRF's so they have NO excuse for obtaining a CCJ by default.

Do this. Cancel all those standing orders now through telephone or online banking. Then wait for whoever is chasing you to send a letter. Then you CCA them.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

As for the CCA request, if you were at a particular address when you took out the agreement, and you ask them to send it to your new address, then quite rightly they're going to ask questions, it is best to ensure that all of your addresses are showing on your CRF's so they have NO excuse for obtaining a CCJ by default.

Ok, so as long as my current address is on my CFR, then I'm covered? Or do I explicitly have to write to them and tell them?

Do this. Cancel all those standing orders now through telephone or online banking. Then wait for whoever is chasing you to send a letter. Then you CCA them.

I understand what you're saying, my wife said the same, but would this not delay the inevitable? What would the advantage of this be over just CCAing them now?

just CCA request each debt

and use your new address.

that will serve two purposes

it will put then on notice you are no longer a mug

and put them to strict proof to prove they have the necessary legal paperwork to be allowed to mug you.

second

it will give them all you new address in written format

then if they try the backdoor CCA you can get it set aside.

as for the car loan.

you have the VT paperwork or are just guessing at present?

so anything you had to pay is solely upto the 50% mark.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Ok, so as long as my current address is on my CFR, then I'm covered? Or do I explicitly have to write to them and tell them?

I understand what you're saying, my wife said the same, but would this not delay the inevitable? What would the advantage of this be over just CCAing them now?

What inevitable.

If they cannot provide a compliant CCA, then they cant collect,

they cant do court,

they cant take any action to recover the debt.

If they can produce a complaint agreement, then you SAR the original creditor and get the full background on the debt and the reason its sold. 99% of debts are sold to DCA's because theres something wrong with them.

With your debts, the OC would have taken you to court themselves for the amounts that are there.

They didnt. Instead, they wrote it off against tax or insurance and then sold it on for pennies to a DCA.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

I have actually been wondering whether the debts have been sold at all,

and thinking that maybe they are still with the OCs and that the DCAs that I have been paying are just acting on their behalf.

None of the historical letters I have received explicitly say "we have bought the debt".

In fact, most of the wording seems to refer to the OC as "their client".

Is this just a smoke screen for "the debt is now ours"??!!

Having been doing some research, I would have thought that I would have received a notice of assignment if the debt had been sold on.

So unless this has been send out since I changed address, then perhaps none have been sold?????

AM

who are the players please

list your debts

type of debt

who the OC was

who you pay

and they

Debts as follows:

Personal loan from First Direct - £7k

Credit card from First Direct - £2.7k

Credit card from halifaxicon - £3.5k

Credit card from Eggicon - £2.8k

Northridge Car finance (after handing car back voluntarily) - £5.6k

I pay £1 token payments to the following:

Metropolitan Collection Services Ltd - both First Direct accounts

Robinson Way Ltd - Halifax

Direct Legal and Collections - Egg

Iqor - Northridge

Before settling on the token payments (over 6 years ago) I also received communication from various solicitors as well as the DCAs, not sure how significant this is?

Yep. Most of them have been sold on

all been sold on

CCA request to each DCA now

I beginning to smells a cash cow here me thinks

and they