• Tweets

• Massive issues from Scottish Power I wonder if someone could advise next steps. Tennant moved out I changed the electric into my name I was out the country at the time so I hadn't been to the flat. During sign up process they tried to hijack my gas supply as well which I made it clear I didn't want duel fuel from them but they still went ahead with it. Phoned them up again. a few days later telling them to make sure they stopped it but they said too late ? had to get my current supplier to cancel it. Paid £50 online to ensure there was money covering standing charges etc eventually got to the flat no power. Phoned Scottish Power 40 minutes to get through they state I have a pay as you go meter and that they had set me up on a credit account so they need to send an engineer out which they will pass my details onto. Phone called from engineer asking questions , found out the float is vacant so not an emergency so I have to speak to Scottish Power again. Spoke with the original person from Scottish Power who admitted a mistake (I had told her it was vacant) and now states that it will take 4 weeks to get an appointment but if I want to raise a complaint they will contact me in 48 hours and it will be looked at quicker. Raised a complaint , complaints emailed me within 24 hours to say it will take 7 days till he speaks with me. All I want is power in the property would I be better switching over to EON who supply the gas surely they could sort it out quicker? One thing is for sure I will never bother with Scottish Power ever again.    
    • Hi. Please don't follow McD's advice to contact Met to appeal. They won't listen and you could end up giving them helpful information. HB
    • The UK-based mining giant Anglo American says it has received a takeover proposal from Australia's BHP.View the full article
    • who gave you the NTH? who was it sent to? thread title updated dx  
    • blimey CAG gave all that FREE help over +6mts and +100 posts and they never even bothered to comeback...
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Brighthouse - 4 Defaults - Claim Issued***Resolved***

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2975 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Notice of discontiuance?? Would I need to do this the claim has been settled not discontinued.

March 2015 visit local store apply for furniture, during the visit was told in no mixed words if you miss a payment we will hound you and break our way into your home as we have a right to repossession.

2 weeks later no delivery but demands for payments from local store. 2 weeks payments were wanted yet I had no goods. As I refused payment they cancelled my delivery.

I raised this with Brighthouse head office the fact they were demanding money and were in breach of contract.

They decided to give me the furniture as a gesture of goodwill. No agreement nothing to pay I was given the sofa due to issues with store and non delivery.

Fastfoward several months become a customer in another store as arranged by head office.

December 2015 view my credit file and see 5 accounts registered for Brighthouse I have 4 agreements. They were reporting the March sofa agreement the item I was given as a gesture.

I raised this with BH customer service director and was told we marked it as settled so what is the issue, I explained that for 9 months it appeared in had £1500 debt that I did not have and I had gone into difficulty and eventually settled the account.

I then issued a letter before action rather basic just along lines of accuracy and principle 4 of data protection act.

This was formally responded to with a we are sorry we will remove this and an invitation to take my complaint to the FOS.

After receipt of their letter the claim was issued and paid in full 14 days later.

Yes the cheque did come with a letter basically saying we wish to settle claim number xxx without prejuidice and attach a cheque for the full amount.

From when the claim was issued till the day of payment being received there was no communication whatsoever between either party.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You need to discontinue the claim or how do the court know that it's settled. It has been settled after you raised a court claim but without the court doing anything so you have to discontinue it. I'm surprised BH solicitors didn't send you a form to sign to send to the court.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I,ve had ongoing issues with BH and that's another matter on another thread however I have something I'd like to share and gather opinion on.

BH is the weekly payment store, for this example I have an agreement that is £5 per week.

The reporting to the CRA by BH will state regular repayment £20, payment frequency weekly. This is inaccurate information and makes it appear your financial commitments are higher than they actually are.

The correct information would be regular repayment £5, payment frequency weekly.

I have formally raised this issue with BH and recieved this reply:-

Your final response letter states that the credit reference agencies upload data on a monthly basis. This is correct. As credit reference agencies only upload data based on monthly payment behaviour we have to convert your weekly payment into monthly terms to allow the data to upload successfully. I can confirm that this process has been adhered to and your records are accurate.

How can they do this to each and every account they have admitted they convert the figures but if that's the case then shouldn't the payment frequency state monthly and not weekly.

Opinions please....

BTW - BH didn't even hand it to solicitors letter has come from customer relations.

I'll email bulk centre now to say it's been settled

That's one for the CRA to address as if their system will only accept Monthly, frequency for repayments they need sorting, but BH should not inflate a payment to suit a CRA.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Another example. This agreement is £11.52 per week.

No that's plain wrong, they should change the template to read Monthly, Jason@brighthouse comment please. Might be worth contacting FCA as it is misrepresentation.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Draft particulars of claim for second case

I need to take action to get this resolved, can someone review and guide on below draft please?

This claim is brought under section 4 of the data protection act.

The claimant had 4 agreements with the defendant regulated by the consumer credit act.

The repayment teams for each agreement is weekly

however the defendant are reporting a monthly figures as the weekly repayment figure.

This is causing a detriment to the claimant

as it appears his credit commitments are 4 times greater than they are

which in turn is making it appear his disposable income is minimal

which is impacting credit applications on affordability criteria.

The claimant had exhausted all avenues of the complaint process with the defendant

and now seeks the courts assistance to obtain a resolution.

Without good reason the defendant had continued to register this inaccurate information

and as well as judgement in favour the claimant seeks compensation up-to xx at the discretion of the court.

I've been arguing this with BH for 5 weeks and they are adamant they are correct as you can see from email extract even issued a final response stating they were confident in their position.

It appears my commitments in terms of repayments are 4 times that of what they actually are. I'm confident this is how they report all entries so how many customers nationally are affected??

Do they show the total amount borrowed and then the reducing figure ?

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I am not quite sure what your issue is, there is an account opening date and the balance at that time - then there is a default balance which shows the balance at that time as well. It does state that the account is a weekly account. Each month on one of the reports it shows the balance reducing, which indicates that you are making payments.

Anyone looking at your credit file will be able to work that out for themselves, I dont see that it implies you owe more that is stated !

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Threads Merged... Keep it to one thread if its BH and your ongoing claim.

So have you sent your notice of discontinuance? And also BH are reporting the info incorrectly as far as you . My understanding is that you are paying £5pw and they are reporting it as £20pm, but the actually default states that its still weekly?

Problem is that BH have now defaulted it. so AP markers are less likely to appear. Once defaulted, companies have a tendency to leave the default alone and just report still in default until paid. Being Pernickity about the default in question wont make much difference at all. The default is a default, that wont change no matter how you look at it.

The question is right this moment, are you paying anything towards the default?

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Some information for you.

So the claim will be made under Principle 1 (Fair & Lawful) of the DPA and the claim will be made pursuant to section 4 (4)

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/29/section/4

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data-protection/principle-1-fair-and-lawful/

Compensation may be difficult to quantify.....as you are asking the court to use their discretion then it would have to be a Part 8 claim...not 7

BCOBS

Hi

I have informed the court the claim has been settled.

I am not paying anything as I'm at a stand off as they fail to provide bank details to make payments and insist I visit a store to sign a new agreement something I am not prepared to do.

These defaults have only been placed since I logged a complaint

My payment is 5 per week so 20 per month yet they are reporting 20 per week payment implying it's an 80 per month agreement

Looking at this BH seem to have it correct. They have stated that its weekly and then how much it is per month.

But the lower monthly section shows how many **Months** Its in arrears. My view on this is that it is clear enough.

Nearly all companies work on a monthly basis anyway for reporting purposes so I dont feel what you are stating is correct.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

I do have to disagree.

There record should state

Regular payment ( weekly figure)

Payment frequency (weekly)

However they report

Regular payment (monthly figure)

Payment frequency (weekly)

They either need to state it's a monthly figure of report the weekly amount.

They are passing off the monthly repayment rate as the weekly rate.

They state I pay 60 a week so 240 a month when in fact it's 15 a week so only 60 a month.

Im afraid we will have to agree to disagree, I believe BH are reporting as they should be to CRA in the correct method. But is the quality of the data correct?

Is the balance as it should be? I suspect that if this was dragged before a judge they may disagree with your reasoning.

They have

- Stated the balance

- Stated its a weekly repayment

- But have shown the monthly repayment in line with the reporting facilities.

Once again I point towards that way that lenders assess customers... Its on a monthly basis and is not real time. (Apart from PDL Lenders through Callcredit) (HCSTC)

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Whilst I can see and understand your view point with new affordability checks this greatly affects a view of disposable income.

Yes it a monthly payment and I don't see why brighthouse don't report that in the payment frequency.

I can't see how them stating the monthly payment amount as a weekly payment frequency is accurate.

No the default balance is disputed as they have added 5.50 charge every week a payment has been missed

I refer you to here;

Page 3 - Principal 1 - Section about Home Credit;

Whilst most credit products are repaid monthly, some are not, such as home credit*.

In these cases, the information will be adapted to meet the monthly reporting standards of the credit reference industry.

*Home collected credit etc includes informal flexibility as standard to help debtors cope with unexpected budget

pressures. In effect, the home credit agent can - during the weekly home visit - agree missed or part payments

on the spot (normally at no extra cost). These informal variations are not themselves reported. However, when

the debtor has - in aggregate - missed to the value of 4.33 weekly repayments (equivalent to one month’s

arrears), that is reported (as arrears). Only the larger home credit companies use the reporting agencies.

As for the balance, disputing it is fine, you need to get a SAR Request sent off, so you can see in full how many charges have been applied.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

UPDATE

communications from BH.

We apologize that you felt this matter was unable to be resolved through our complaints process and confirm we have decided to settle your claim in full as advised without prejudice.

I confirm that data regarding the above agreements (old one and current live 4 defaulted ones) have been removed from your credit file and compensation has been paid as full settlement to all points raised

So the defaults have been removed eventually.

It appears Brighthouse back down once the courts get involved.

I'm not happy how I started a claim on one agreement and they think in resolution they can settle my disputes on all 5 agreements.

Ok it's all well and good them now deciding to remove the defaults, but they will go on and do this to the next customer.

Advice please - should I quit when I'm ahead after all the default have been removed or shall I pursue the fact they were registered maliciously on a disputed account?

UPDATE

communications from BH.

We apologise that you felt this matter was unable to be resolved through our complaints process and confirm we have decided to settle your claim in full as advised without prejuidice.

I confirm that data regarding the above agreements (old one and current live 4 defaulted ones) have been removed from your credit file and compensation has been paid as full settlement to all points raised

I think you might have a real hard time in claiming that this was malicious ! If they have removed the reporting and have given you compensation, then I would quit.

BCOBS

I think you might have a real hard time in claiming that this was malicious ! If they have removed the reporting and have given you compensation, then I would quit.

I agree the defaults have gone which was my goal. I like the way they classed the defaults under the court claim which was a totally different complaint.

All in all a good result. Thanks all for advice and support.

I am going to be cheeky and just question on what basics the defaults were removed and question the way they have included these in the claim settlement eventhough they were not mentioned in the particulars of claim.

Hi Witsend and a great result.

I would say that you do not push any further and leave it. Keep everything for your records should it need to be revisited and that is it at this point.

Any changes to a CRA may take anything up to a Month to be fully reported.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Hi Fkofilee.

BH advised they made direct contact with CRA and requested immediate removal due to it being subject to a legal matter.

I can confirm after review of my credit file they have all been removed. There is no trace of brighthouse anywhere on the credit report. I have a paid membership so can generate a new report and and when required

The defaults were still there the end of last week 😆😆

Witsend99 - I have unapproved the emails and your comment to Jason. We have had a look at your emails in the Site Team and you have been in contact with me aswell.

I would suggest you continue dealing with this on a private basis without posting all the emails etc that you have dealt with.

Could you update us on your current situation now? Have BH finally given in to you?

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis