• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Brighthouse Problems, very unreasonable staff

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2968 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Afternoon Folks,

I am Michael, 24 years old, and I have just had some news I am to be expecting my first child.

First of all I would like to say sorry for how stupid I was 2 years when I took products out with Brighthouse.

At the time I had just got my own place, and I needed a TV, I then got two things I didn't need a PlayStation and a Phone.

It all comes to £40 a week, which normally I can afford. But I am now moving in with my girlfriend, she knows I have a bill every week for £40, but she doesn't know its brighthouse, I am ashamed to tell her.

But last week I informed her that the bill would start to go down. As I belived that next month my TV would be 104 weeks old and I would no longer have to pay for it. I pay £14 for it, 104 weeks means ive paid £1400, for a TV normally costing £400. very excessive!

My store rudely advised my I actually had a full year left, I was a little shocked and also ****ed off, as it might not sound a lot £14 but I cant afford it..

Normally I would of been more reasonable but at the time of taking the product out I was almost sure the lady said 104 weeks, I remember discussing the amount it cost at the time, I really feel miss sold on this. But regardless they say they have my signature on the agreement.

What is my position on this, has anyone had any experience of reducing payments or stop paying?

I need to get these payments down to £15 a week for everything? I cant hand them in I have invested a lot of my money in these products?

Thanks

Michael

Thank you fkofilee

But if I have signed for 3 years, which is possible, where do I stand?

Are they likely to reduce my payments?

I really don't want to hand it in, I paid nearly 1500 pound for this product and more on other products

Lesson to learn; Brighthouse are a pain and persistent.

You wont have to hand it in as youve paid over 1/3 of the total cost. it would be subject to a court order for them to take it back but you cant just stop paying. If you are in financial difficulties then maybe its time to start considering the future. How far through are you with you PlayStation and phone?

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

I had the playstation for a year, and the Phone for 14 months.

I don't want to stop paying I just need to reduce even slightly.

I have learnt my lesson, it seemed a great idea at the time, but after the third or fourth payment it becomes frustrating.

I don't know why but im really stressing about this, I was okay until the staff was so rude I got incredible worked up.

They don't have my correct contact details, so I could just run away and not hear from them in a while. But I am not this kind of person, I just want the payments reducing.

3 years @ £14.00 a week for a television ?? that is £2,184.00 !!

This is absolutely shameful - I am assuming that you would have been paying the mandatory insurances within this ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

3 years @ £14.00 a week for a television ?? that is £2,184.00 !!

This is absolutely shameful - I am assuming that you would have been paying the mandatory insurances within this ?

Time to start reclaiming on useless insurances. Okay.... I say useless but actually they are also rather expensive too!

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Time to start reclaiming on useless insurances. Okay.... I say useless but actually they are also rather expensive too!

I don't how to claim all the insurance back, is it easy to do. And yes 2180 is also ridiculous for a TV.. Im going to write a long letter tonight explaining that I can't afford it. Thank you for your help so far guys

Good advice , you need to collate your ACTUAL loss, as in how much you have paid in insurance to reclaim the correct amount.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I don't how to claim all the insurance back, is it easy to do. And yes 2180 is also ridiculous for a TV.. Im going to write a long letter tonight explaining that I can't afford it. Thank you for your help so far guys

No, what you need to do is to write a "short - bullet pointed" complaint. They wont read a letter that is not contained on one page - or if they did, then they would likely miss something.

As advised by Conniff above, you need to obtain copies of the agreement before doing anything.

Your complaint would be based on the fact that you believed the contract was for 104 weeks (2 years). However, one of the store's representative has now advised that it is for 3 years - that it is obvious that there are insurances that you neither asked for nor required (and you want these refunded) - that had you been aware how much this item would cost over the period of 2 years, let alone 3 !, you would never have taken it on.

Your financial situation has now changed and you are no longer able to afford the weekly payments as agreed if the contract is to run for another 52 weeks.

That you expect your complaint to be dealt with swiftly and if no response within 14 days you will be escalating your complaint to the Ombudsman.

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thank you for your help again.

I am going to pay the full amount tomorrow, as I normally pay Fridays, but on Saturday I am going into store with a letter addressing my issues (bullet pointed)

And I will pay for my agreement £1 so I can identify the amount im paying in insurance fees.

Thank you for all your help again.

Michael

Please do let us know how you get on :)

BCOBS

Good Afternoon Michael

I do apologise for the difficulties you've been having with payments and the confusion about the term of your contract.

I kindly request that you contact our Customer Relations Team on 0800 526 069 or email us with the full details at [email protected] and we will be happy to discuss this matter further and to help resolve any outstanding concerns you may have.

Please quote your reference: 249400

Many Thanks

Jason

Web Relations Team BrightHouse

Just to clarify for those reading, is that one cca request per agreement?

I.E 3 x agreements = 3 cca requests and 3 x £1 ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

yes

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yes

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D