second hand car

sah73
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3011 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

My partner purchased a second hand car from a dealer on friday for £2600,on sunday two warning lights appeared for the power steering and the braking rendering it useless unless the problem is found

On contacting the dealer this morning my partner was told that the car was sold as a private sale on behalf of a private individual and that therefore he was not liable for any repairs to the vehicle

My partner also somewhat naively signed the invoice/reciept which states

"this vehicle is a private sale on behalf of the above customer and no warranty/guarantee is implied or given"(the details of the private individual are given)

she did believe that she was purchasing a vehicle directly from the dealer untill this invoice was handed over for signing and signed it with out proper thought on the matter , the money was paid by bank transfer directly to the dealer not the private individual.

I believed that we had rights regardless of a warranty under the sales of goods act and would be grateful of some light on the issue and any advice on our next step

thanks

Edited by Conniff

Send the dealer a letter stating that you are rejecting the car or require it repaired

If that fails send then a letter before action

Then file a court claim

The money was paid to the dealers account

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Perhaps Admin should put out a warning on the site, as I believe that this is one of a series of new tactics by dealers to negate any responsibility under SOGA.

I know of a dealer who gets his salesman to take iffy cars home with him and sell them as a private individual.

Some, if not most, car dealers are crooks, Hatton Garden robbers have nothing on them, they are just pussy cats in comparison..

This is a sale or return and the seller, ie the dealer, is fully liable for all faults and cannot pass the buck. It is a criminal offence to try to limit or take away a consumers rights.

A consumer cannot have their rights taken away or reduced even if they signed a contract agreeing to it. So it matters not what is written on the bottom of the receipt.

It's the same as buying a fridge from a shop. It might be still sealed in the manufacturers box but if there is a problem then it is the shop that has to deal with it not the manufacturer.

Don't phone unless you can record the call, the same goes if you visit the dealer, have your mobile in your shirt pocket and record the conversation. Email or letter only.

You are fully protected under The Consumer Rights Act 2015

Now you have the log book, give the last owner a ring and ask him.

Please confirm that there it was not advertised as being sold on behalf of a customer ??

Edited by Conniff

V5 will only give name and address of last keeper, they may have moved.

If they are 100 miles away the dealer's story begins to look false.

Probably picked up from an auction.

Like Conniff says these rights 'waivers aren't worth the paper they're written on'

you buy from trader you are protected.

The car and the dealer are both wrong-uns.