Cold calling firms forced to display phone numbers

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2937 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The Government has announced plans to put an end to anonymous phone calls from British companies in the UK or based overseas.

Telemarketers will be forced to display a valid phone number when they make phone calls - or face heavy fines in a new crackdown on nuisance calls.

The welcome change to the law means it will be a legal requirement for direct marketing callers to show a valid caller identity that shows up on phone displays when they call.

The changes make it easier for people to report any company that makes unwanted calls.

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2016/01/cold-calling-firms-forced-to-display-phone-numbers-429776/

How to stop the nuisance callers

First, make sure you’re not handing your details away. If you don’t want to hand over your own phone number when filling in forms, use this one instead .

You can complain about a cold caller to the ICO here .

If the cold caller is from a claims management company, such as those calling about PPI, you can also complain here .

Cold callers aren’t supposed to call you if you’ve signed up to the Telephone Preference Service .

There was a thread here a couple of years ago about someone trying to claim compensation from cold calling companies.

I can't find it, but I wonder if anyone knows if he got anywhere

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?370544-Homeowner-wins-damages-for-time-wasted-answering-phone&highlight=Richard+Herman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20068927

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

The welcome change to the law means it will be a legal requirement for direct marketing callers to show a valid caller identity that shows up on phone displays when they call.

Most (all ?) of them ignore their obligations with regards TPS registered numbers, so why would they use an identifiable number. The only way this will work is if the telecoms provider is forced to impose a valid caller ID on all business lines and remove the ability of these nuisance callers to use anonymous dialing or fake caller ID.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

......Telemarketers will be forced to display a valid phone number when they make phone calls .........

Things have recently got more difficult for us. We have a call blocker on the landline, which I'd set to block all withheld and abroad numbers.

We were getting marketing calls every day, many of which come from abroad. But some of these companies have recently started using UK numbers and not withholding their number, so to stop them I've had to set the phone to block all calls except those on a white list of people we know. I think our phone has the capacity to block up to 10 numbers, but this would very quickly get filled up, so only accepting calls from known callers seems to be the best solution for now. Seems a shame really, and kind of defeats the object of having a phone, but the phone system is getting abused so much it's well overdue for some changes in the rules.

My phone, 'call blocks' up to 100 numbers, and I get 3 on average cold calls a day, which I don't hear. Just when checking my call list I can see that I have been called.

When it comes to filling in online forms..I live in Manchester with an 0161 area code, I just put in 01610000000. It works every time. I would imagine it would work in any area of the country if you just put in your area code and then noughts for any numbers thereafter..:madgrin:

It's a good step but I don't think they'd be able to find and fine all of those companies. I got 3 calls from the same company and all of those numbers were unique. I have now given up picking a phone call from an unknown number.

I would like to see a ruling that prevents multiple numbers being used to contact you. I had a credit card company and their in house "Debt Collector" call me from over 30 different town and cities around the UK (and I am looking at you Vanquis!). They only have the one office, and certainly don't have an office in my own area!!!

Thir use of this technique must surely be harassment!

have mentioned this before.

bt allows peeps to withold their numbers for free, yet charges a recipient for their 'anon call reject' service. con. either charge for witholding as well, or allow the anon reject service for free.

and, they also want to charge for caller display, whilst offering such services that require caller display, including their 'privacy' phones. ridiculous.

:)

bt allows peeps to withold their numbers for free, yet charges for a recipient for their 'anon call reject' service. con.

The anonymous call bar doesn't include overseas callers. So that little hellhole in India offering Microsoft Support will still get through.

The anonymous call bar doesn't include overseas callers. So that little hellhole in India offering Microsoft Support will still get through.

:) it should do, its available in their 'privacy' phones. shld be available as standard eg at the exchange. ie no caller id, no through call.

though even with a number, it wld be dodgy. one i looked up came up as from iran!

I would like to see a ruling that prevents multiple numbers being used to contact you. I had a credit card company and their in house "Debt Collector" call me from over 30 different town and cities around the UK (and I am looking at you Vanquis!). They only have the one office, and certainly don't have an office in my own area!!!

Thir use of this technique must surely be harassment!

Not the only ones who do this, they Vanquis also others use STD code for your area along with a number, previous years on here we listed a lot of numbers recorded and used by Vanquis an a lot of others/

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

• 2 weeks later...
The Government has announced plans to put an end to anonymous phone calls from British companies in the UK or based overseas.

Telemarketers will be forced to display a valid phone number when they make phone calls - or face heavy fines in a new crackdown on nuisance calls.

The changes make it easier for people to report any company that makes unwanted calls.

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2016/01/cold-calling-firms-forced-to-display-phone-numbers-429776/

How to stop the nuisance callers

First, make sure you’re not handing your details away. If you don’t want to hand over your own phone number when filling in forms, use this one instead .

You can complain about a cold caller to the ICO here .

If the cold caller is from a claims management company, such as those calling about PPI, you can also complain here .

Cold callers aren’t supposed to call you if you’ve signed up to the Telephone Preference Service .

Do these fools take the TPS seriously that answer is a resounding NO!!! I have been registered with the TPS for some time, this nasty piece of work stated for the recording he would continue to harass me until I listened to what he had to say.. I said not interested don't call back, his reply I'll do as I want I WILL call back.. For this see below. This is what I did moments later, my formal complaint to the TPS service and this is their reply... >>>

Today at 9:24 AM

2016-02-09

Re: Your complaint against: HOME ENERGY SYSTEMS LIMITED

Dear Mr M. M************

Thank you for your recent communication about the unsolicited direct marketing telephone call that you received on your Telephone Preference Service (TPS) or Corporate TPS (CTPS) registered telephone number.

Unsolicited telephone calls are covered by the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 which are enforced by the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). It is unlawful to make unsolicited direct marketing calls to telephone numbers registered with TPS. The fact sheet briefly explains what the law says.

TPS has notified the company you reported that a complaint has been received relating to a breach of the above regulation. They have been instructed to investigate your complaint and respond to us within 14 days of receipt of our letter of complaint. We have also asked that they do not make any more unsolicited direct marketing calls to your telephone number and that it is suppressed.

Thank you again for bringing this matter to our attention, you will not hear from us again about this specific complaint. TPS has no enforcement powers but we work closely with the ICO and provide them with a regular file of all the complaints received including details of this complaint and the response received from the company.

It is the ICO’s responsibility to investigate non-compliant organisations and take appropriate action. The ICO has issued fines against various companies for making unsolicited direct marketing calls to telephone numbers registered with TPS.

For the link to the legislation you may find this here >>http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2003/2426/contents/made

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Thank you again for bringing this matter to our attention, you will not hear from us again about this specific complaint. TPS has no enforcement powers but we work closely with the ICO and provide them with a regular file of all the complaints received including details of this complaint and the response received from the company.

So what is the point - TPS has no enforcement powers and as far as I am aware, neither do the ICO ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I stand corrected, thank you MM :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I had the same issue with a DCA doing the same thing. This was in my early days of CAG.

The action the ICO can take depends on the severity of what way the caller has behaved and what effect it has had on the line payer...

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

I really need to set up an 09 number that costs £1/minute to call and then start plugging it into every online survey and form I can find....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23869462

Fortunately, I have been on the TPS register for donkeys years and rarely hand out my number so consequently get very few cold calls. The ones I do get are these automated dialers used for PPI/solar energy/boiler scrappage cons.

Things have recently got more difficult for us. We have a call blocker on the landline, which I'd set to block all withheld and abroad numbers.

We were getting marketing calls every day, many of which come from abroad. But some of these companies have recently started using UK numbers and not withholding their number, so to stop them I've had to set the phone to block all calls except those on a white list of people we know. I think our phone has the capacity to block up to 10 numbers, but this would very quickly get filled up, so only accepting calls from known callers seems to be the best solution for now. Seems a shame really, and kind of defeats the object of having a phone, but the phone system is getting abused so much it's well overdue for some changes in the rules.

Time Govt insisted telcos provided subscribers with free call-blocking service.

We have a cheap but effective call-blocker which I'm gradually 'tightening the screws' on. Any unwanted calls now and I block the whole originating 'city'. (area code)

Mike.

My phone, 'call blocks' up to 100 numbers, and I get 3 on average cold calls a day, which I don't hear. Just when checking my call list I can see that I have been called.

When it comes to filling in online forms..I live in Manchester with an 0161 area code, I just put in 01610000000. It works every time. I would imagine it would work in any area of the country if you just put in your area code and then noughts for any numbers thereafter..:madgrin:

01000000000 seems to work every time for a dummy number.

• 1 month later...

Is there a template letter or link for stopping continuous harassment by telephone calls ?

I have the company details and complaints address.

I have requested that they remove my details from their records and to stop calling but they still continue even late at night.

Complaints already with ICO / TPS but I would like to threaten further regarding wasting my time and continuous harassment.

Thank-you