Unfair recruitment process

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3017 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The company I worked for was taken over and my team were moved / transferred (something called 'TUPE') to a new employer.

The new employer then advertised an internal opportunity (area manager) out to the team and several employees applied for the position including myself. However, the interviewer that the company chose to conduct the interviews was not a senior person within the group, but another area manager currently working for them who had previously worked with my old company.

I felt that I was the most suitable person for the role, however, one of the applicants (my colleague) has previously worked closely with the interviewer and they are very good friends outside of the business. During the interview I got the impression that a decision had already been made before I even started to answer their questions and following the interview (the following morning) I was informed that my colleague that knew the interviewer had been offered the position.

I think that the interview process was bias and there was a 'conflict of interest' between the interviewer and my colleague - do I have any rights to make a complaint about this as I feel it is an unfair process / practice!?

Thank you

Unfortunately I don't think you have a legal right to complain. The fact that a promotion process was conducted unfairly is not illegal, unless you are being discriminated against due to a 'protected characteristic' such as age, race or gender.

If the process was unfair you can certainly complain through internal procedures though.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Thread moved to the appropriate forum.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

thank you for your reply.

No, I didn't think there was any kind of discrimination, just an unfair /strategically planned interview and selection process to favour one individual.

I had read that a lot of companies have a 'conflict of interest' clause in their policies and didn't know if this was something that was a legal thing, or if it was just for appearance to show they are a 'caring and fair' company.

I would like to raise a complaint internally, but I feel that I would be classed as a trouble maker / have a 'mark' put against my name as it was the company itself who planned this and followed the process through to favour the one individual.

I had read that a lot of companies have a 'conflict of interest' clause in their policies and didn't know if this was something that was a legal thing, or if it was just for appearance to show they are a 'caring and fair' company.

While many companies do have policies governing conflicts of interests in relation to recruitment, it is not a legal thing, I'm afraid.

I would like to raise a complaint internally, but I feel that I would be classed as a trouble maker / have a 'mark' put against my name as it was the company itself who planned this and followed the process through to favour the one individual.

Unfortunately, that is a risk you would take.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS