Refusal of cheque when card machine down

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3020 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

We stopped for lunch with friends in a country pub in the middle of nowhere yesterday.

As we tucked into the main course the waiter appeared and said they could not take card payments as their machine was down.

We didn't have enough cash on us to fully cover the bill and it was roughly five miles from the nearest ATM.

I mentioned a cheque and the waiter didn't say anything.

The bill arrived and the bar staff and then the Manager refuse to accept the cheque which was already signed and completed.

It was being handed to them and they refused to take it as a solution to a problem not of our making.

Instead they asked me to leave my card details and security number on a sheet behind the bar.

I refused having had a card cloned in a restaurant previously.

Then they asked me to leave name/address details and they would phone for the card details, which we did.

On reflection I am not minded to give my details over the phone to a company which would suggest we leave the card info on a list by the till,

who knows how the information will be disposed of?

So, when we get home and they ring for payment can I insist on sending them a cheque?

When dining out I always ask do you accept card payments and is your system working. If they say no I leave. If it fails whilst you are dining not a lot they can do.

False security in using debit cards is not a good thing. You knew you were eating out and could have had enough cash to cover the meal. This would have solved the issue.

Cheques have been on the way out for years. A lot of places don't accept them anymore...

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

good idea!

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight...