Late coach cost us £80 taxi fare can I get compensation?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2072 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I booked a coach journey with Terravision from Manchester to Liverpool Airport.

Pickup Manchester: 14:40

Arrives Liverpool Airport: 15:30

We were informed at around 14:50/55 that the coach would be 55 minutes late and that all buses throughout the day were actually around 30 minutes late.

What annoyed us is if they were aware in advance that buses were running late all day long, then why weren't we informed? or a notice placed in the waiting area? so we could seek alliterative transport such as another bus company/ train and so on.

This left us no alternative but to order a taxi costing £80!!! to get to the airport on time.

Who is to blame here? and who can we seek compensation from?

Edited by matboo

Tickets to the airport:

Please choose the transfer service that allows you to arrive at the airport at least 2 hours prior to your scheduled flight departure time to allow time for check-in and all formalities related to the flight. Terravision is not liable for circumstances beyond its reasonable control such as heavy traffic or traffic accidents. If you do not comply with the deadlines as indicated and choose a transfer that does not allow enough time for boarding, you will not be entitled to any compensation.

Connections: It is the responsibility of the passenger to allow for sufficient transfer time when making connections with other various forms of transportation.

Trip delays or cancellations

Timetables published on http://www.terravision.eu are approximate. The company reserves the right to change them, informing users of the reasons for change as well as any alternative schedules. Terravision may also suspend or cancel trips, providing passengers with due notice. In this case, the company may decide to add a new trip to replace the suspended one or extend the passenger’s ticket validity. Terravision is not liable for losses, damages or costs incurred by passengers due to service delays or cancellations. Terravision is not liable to passengers who did not reserve their trip.

http://www.terravision.eu/terms_conditions.html

What was the delay for?

Looks like you've already agreed that you can't claim if there are any delays, however they do also say that you would be notified in the event of a delay, which you weren't.

• 1 month later...

I'm a Newbie to the forums, but as no-one more experienced is replying, here goes.

I had a similar experience to you some years ago, with National Express, from London Victoria train station to Stansted Airport. I had to flag down a taxi, which cost £102. Fortunately there were two Danish people waiting at the coach stop too, so they took the taxi with me, and I ended up paying £34. I asked the taxi driver for a receipt.

I got home and immediately sent an angry e-mail to National Express. I added in the mail that I teach English to adults in Italy and I encourage my students to use National Express services (all true by the way) and hoped to be able to do so in future. Later I realised I had sent the mail to the wrong department and so sent a second mail.

I got two different replies from the two departments. They said I should have allowed more time for the journey. But one sent me a cheque fro £34. The other sent me vouchers for future travel for £34!

I e-mailed the Danes and encouraged them to pursue their complaints, but I don't know if they did.

What I've written here is not "legal", and TBH I don't know if I was legally in the right or not, but the coach company took notice of my complaint. Maybe it would be worth your while sending a complaint letter/mail, especially given what's written upthread about their lack of notification?

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I'd contact the coach company in writing & state as you've said here about your experiences with them.

Do be firm,fair & concise in your letter. Mention that you were only told about the delays 10/15 mins "after" your allocated pick up time.

That there was no prior communication or notices etc. Which ultimately left you stressed/annnoyed & that you could have missed your flight.

Which left you with no choice, but to arrange for alternative travel to the airport via Taxi @ £80.

Lastly do ask them to compensate you for the taxi fare (& maybe a little something for the inconvenience & stressed caused).

Do provide copies of your booking with your letter (keep the original copy yourself).

Hopefully the Coach company will listen to you.

Good luck!

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it!!

I can remember a few years ago where National Express, would arrange for taxis/alternative transport for those who would be late making onward connections due to the lateness of their coaches ?

I was on an NE coach when the driver announced that the vehicle we were on would be around 1.5 hours late arriving at Victoria coach station and anyone who would be affected were to make their way immediately to the information desk on arrival.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Another case of the OP not returning to answer questions raised. They were asked about reason for delayed service.

If NE were responsible for the delay then compensation might be possible.

If the delay was beyond the control of NE, then it would be very difficult.

If i have to be somewhere at a given time i always allow extra time. For long haul flights from Heathrow, i always get there about 4 hours before the flight. I would hate to be sat in a coach or train station where there was a travel issue, when i had not allowed contigency time. If you don't allow enough time for alternatives, you are then potentially faced with more exoensive options or missing a flight.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread