Driving Untaxed Car

ravmic
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3027 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

This may be a common thread apologies if the information is elsewhere.

I've just found a reminder to renew road tax which was due to expire November 30 2015.

In my defence since there is no longer a paper road tax disc displayed on my windscreen I had no way of knowing this.

I tried to apply for the tax online but since it expired in December and it is now January 10th it wouldn't let me. I eventually managed to pay online for the road tax but it was showing from 1st Jan 2016.

In addition the website still shows my car as being untaxed!

My question is when should I expect to receive a fine and how much will it be. I've heard £80! Should I expect a court summons?

Is there a way of appealing the fine, I was sent no reminders by the dvla.

This may be a common thread apologies if the information is elsewhere.

I've just found a reminder to renew road tax which was due to expire November 30 2015.

In my defence since there is no longer a paper road tax disc displayed on my windscreen I had no way of knowing this.

I tried to apply for the tax online but since it expired in December and it is now January 10th it wouldn't let me. I eventually managed to pay online for the road tax but it was showing from 1st Jan 2016.

In addition the website still shows my car as being untaxed!

My question is when should I expect to receive a fine and how much will it be. I've heard £80! Should I expect a court summons?

Is there a way of appealing the fine, I was sent no reminders by the dvla.

"In my defence since there is no longer a paper road tax disc displayed on my windscreen I had no way of knowing this" : They won't accept this as a defence, it remains your obligation to ensure your car is taxed.

It is worth keeping the old 'tax disc', if only as a reminder of the 'anniversary".

It is also worth considering setting up a direct debit, to prevent non-payment.

Yep I can't remember why I chose to tax for 6 months the last time. I guess I should be grateful it wasn't towed.

In addition I can't understand why the reminder remained unopened I need to sort out the misses' filing system.

Right you are, I wonder how many pcn's I've probably neglected to open, or speeding tickets!

My current problem is the online dvla site took my money for the tax but started it from 1-Jan-2016. So my car is showing as untaxed from 1st Dec 2015

you have two choices when your new tax is due, tax the car or declare it off road, as you didnt declare it off road then as far as the dvla are concerned you are still liable for the road tax from when your old tax ran out. also you can only tax a car for a whole month not part of so renewing your tax on the 10th jan means it will start from the 1st of jan