Housing Association introducing extra service charges

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2999 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I moved into a housing association property around three years ago. I received a letter from the housing association today stating that they now intend to introduce a service charge for the TV aerial maintenance costs and the door entry intercom maintenance cost.

The reason why these new costs are being introduced from the 1st April is that when the tenancy agreement was signed the housing association did not apply the correct charges for provision and maintenance, however they will not be seeking the recovery of previous costs.

Surely because a contract had been signed it cannot be changed?

Thread moved to the appropriate forum.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Which Housing association is this?

Is this a new build?

I would hazard a guess that what they are actually doing is correcting the service charge statement to show exactly where the service charge is going rather than just having a 'Miscellaneous' heading.

I doubt it will add anything to the service charge?

But like mine, I go through it every year and always, well nearly, have them explain the costs and what they mean.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

It's an annual maintenance charge, divided between all benefiting Leasholders, which can be varied due to increased costs, provided any increase is notified before payment is due. (Done with3 months to spare). I doubt the increase per T, for specified use, will be a significant amount, unlike replacing the roof etc. Check your Lease/Head Lease, I think you will find varying maintenance charge is permitted if advised in advance during Lease.

Thank you for all of your replies.

I don't believe that this is an annual maintenance charge, the letter from the housing association states that "when you signed the tenancy agreement, the housing association did not apply the correct charges for provision and maintenance".

Which suggests that an error was made with the tenancy agreement?

Furthermore, there was previously no service charge for these services i.e The TV aerial maintenance charge and the Door Entry maintenance charge.

The HA is more than entitled to increase or indeed introduce a service charge (if one previously never existed) especially if you have communal areas of a property or parts which require maintenance/repair eg TV Ariel or intercom system.

The HA is more than entitled to increase or indeed introduce a service charge (if one previously never existed) especially if you have communal areas of a property or parts which require maintenance/repair eg TV Ariel or intercom system.

So what you are saying is that all social housing tenants can now expect service charges being introduced for all repairs and maintenance work?

Yes, exactly that, I'm in Social Housing too with Radian, they have an annual service charge which is on top of the rent, this varies from year to year.

Every year they send the resident their new Rent, which includes the service charge, and it has a breakdown of what that service charge is for.

So, the intercom system is on there, and door maintenance, gardening, etc, it shows what they spent last year, and the expected costs for the coming year, and the amount they are charging each household.

There are some things which they cannot charge residents for, such as structural repairs, but you would need to search that out and check HMO's and what they can and can't charge for.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!