• Tweets

• Good news for me is that the Bounce Back Loan came through so I can pay the full car payment!  Thanks for reply.
    • Welcome. please follow the advice given above as to reading around the various stories and then monitor this thread for a full reply tomorrow  
    • Hi Everyone,  I am the seller in this case and want to thank the buyer for their support.  The bike was delivered to the local Hermes Parcel Shop really well packaged and sealed on the 3rd Feb with a receipt obtained.  Sadly the parcel was emptied on route to the buyer.   I had listed the bike for collection only however the buyer messaged and asked if we could arrange a courier to which I agreed and they organised that.  When the bike went missing I contacted the local police as the Hermes parcel shop said they would not release CCTV to me.  We got all this from the Police.  since then the buyer has tried his very best which I am grateful with Hermes and parcel2go but is struggling.  Any help is appreciated. 
    • Also, you should start a claim against Hermes. Post your story on the Hermes sub- forum. Give us a full breakdown – including dates and value et cetera. We will help you get your money back
    • We care, we are highly motivated – and we enjoy winning against Hermes – which we do on pretty well every occasion. Start reading the sub- forums so that you are familiar with all the Hermes stories and the way that the process normally goes. Make sure you understand the mediation process. Make sure also that you understand the steps involved in bringing a small claim in the County Court. It's very easy but you need to know the steps in advance so that you have confidence. Don't forget that this is a self-help forum   If you have CCTV footage then please post it here. I suggest that you put it up on youtube and then post a link to it on this thread.
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

Pension Credit query.. please

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1874 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello… I wonder if anyone can help with this, please?

A friend of mine who is 63 has been working on a freelance basis, but now finds that the work has dried up.

He receives a private pension of around £300 per month, but has no savings or assets.

He is separated from his partner who continues to live in their jointly mortgaged home, whilst he lives rent free with a relative.

Can he claim pension credit, or would he need to sign on as a jobseeker, please?

Thanks in advance.. any advice would be much appreciated. TB

If your friend is 63 his pensionable age will be 65 and so many months depending on his exact date of birth.

He will be eligible for pension credits at the same time but how much will depend on his total income including all other pensions.

In the meantime if he is unemployed and wishes to claim benefits he will need to sign on as a jobseeker unless he is disabled in some way and can't work.

although his qualifying age is 65 for retirement pension

at 63, he is already old enough to qualify for guarantee credits (please note that the fact that he jointly owns a property may affect any entitlement)

he does not need to sign on

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Thank you for the advice… yes, I was wondering about the joint ownership of the house… but it doesn't provide any income, as his wife is living there, so I'm not entirely sure why it might affect his entitlement to PC.

TB.

This is what rights4seniors say about guarantee credits:

Guarantee Credit

Guarantee Credit is for people aged over the female State Pension Age at least. It can top up your weekly income to a minimum level set by government.

The standard minimum guarantee level for 2015 - 2016 is currently:

• £151.20 for a single person
  • £230.85 for people who are married or living together as a couple (including same sex couples)

For a couple, only one person of you has to be over the minimum age.

Therefore, if you have an income lower than these amounts, it will be topped up to reach this standard minimum guarantee. Indeed, you may still be able to get a Guarantee Credit if the money your partner has as an income is more than these levels.

Full details can be accessed on this link:

http://www.rights4seniors.net/content/guarantee-credit

Does this mean that someone aged 63 with no other income should be able to claim for the full amount of £151.20 per week Guarantee Credit, not Pension Credit, (less, in this case, income from private pension) and does not need to sign on for JSA or any other benefit?

If the ownership of property prevents him from getting the Guarantee Credit, would he still be eligible for JSA?

Thank you for the correction and the clarification.

State Pension Credit has two parts - Guarantee Credit (SPGC) and Savings Credit (SPSC). A person who is 63 today would be entitled to Guarantee Credit even if their State Retirement Pension age is older than that - the idea, I think, is that the SP Guarantee Credit age will be the same for men and women even though the SRP age is different.

A private pension would be counted as income and fully taken into account, that is, fully deducted from SPGC payments. The house would be a bit more complex: I think it would count as capital since the OP's friend does not actually live there. If it were up for sale it could be ignored for a period of time.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Would it be correct to say that those rules on Guarantee Payments do not apply to anyone (male) born after 01 January 1954?

Do all parties to a joint mortgage have to contribute to the mortgage payments? What might happen to them if they can't?

This is what rights4seniors say about guarantee credits:

Guarantee Credit

Guarantee Credit is for people aged over the female State Pension Age at least. It can top up your weekly income to a minimum level set by government.

The standard minimum guarantee level for 2015 - 2016 is currently:

• £151.20 for a single person
  • £230.85 for people who are married or living together as a couple (including same sex couples)

For a couple, only one person of you has to be over the minimum age.

Therefore, if you have an income lower than these amounts, it will be topped up to reach this standard minimum guarantee. Indeed, you may still be able to get a Guarantee Credit if the money your partner has as an income is more than these levels.

Full details can be accessed on this link:

http://www.rights4seniors.net/content/guarantee-credit

Does this mean that someone aged 63 with no other income should be able to claim for the full amount of £151.20 per week Guarantee Credit, not Pension Credit, (less, in this case, income from private pension) and does not need to sign on for JSA or any other benefit?

If the ownership of property prevents him from getting the Guarantee Credit, would he still be eligible for JSA?

Thank you for the correction and the clarification.

Many thanks for the link… I notice that their address is in Ireland and wonder if it's different there?

I'm not sure how a mortgaged house can be seen as capital, especially as my friend's property has no equity in it.

His private pension income being around £300 per month means he is well below the minimum needed to live on. TB

State Pension Credit has two parts - Guarantee Credit (SPGC) and Savings Credit (SPSC). A person who is 63 today would be entitled to Guarantee Credit even if their State Retirement Pension age is older than that - the idea, I think, is that the SP Guarantee Credit age will be the same for men and women even though the SRP age is different.

A private pension would be counted as income and fully taken into account, that is, fully deducted from SPGC payments. The house would be a bit more complex: I think it would count as capital since the OP's friend does not actually live there. If it were up for sale it could be ignored for a period of time.

Thanks for the info. So even though he only has just the one (mortgaged) property, it still counts as capital? TB

This site may be more appropriate and it also goes into more detail:

It addresses property and mortgage questions too.

It also has a 'calculator' which your friend can use to give some idea of what exactly his entitlement might be.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matters/claiming-benefits/pension-credit/who-can-claim-pension-credit/

Would it be correct to say that those rules on Guarantee Payments do not apply to anyone (male) born after 01 January 1954?

Do all parties to a joint mortgage have to contribute to the mortgage payments? What might happen to them if they can't?

To the first question, I think the general idea is that SPGC is available to men if it would also be available to a woman with the same birthdate. But I believe that right now it is not available to those born in 1954. Such people would need to claim JSA, ESA or IS depending on circumstances.

On the second question, I suppose that varies per the terms of the mortgage. The one time I actually had one, my (then) wife and I were jointly and severally liable for the payments, so the lender could pursue either or both of us for any outstanding amount.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Thanks for the info. So even though he only has just the one (mortgaged) property, it still counts as capital? TB

Correct - a property counts as capital whether or not it is mortgaged. The issue here is that it is not his primary residence, which is always disregarded - in effect, he would be treated as owning a second home.

For SPGC, the first £10,000 of any capital is disregarded. After that, £1 per week is deducted from SPGC entitlement for every £500 of capital over £10k. There is no upper capital limit. A property will be assumed to be worth its fair market valuation less 10% "costs of sale".

This site may be more appropriate and it also goes into more detail:

It addresses property and mortgage questions too.

It also has a 'calculator' which your friend can use to give some idea of what exactly his entitlement might be.

http://www.ageuk.org.uk/money-matters/claiming-benefits/pension-credit/who-can-claim-pension-credit/

Thanks very much! I will pass on the link… TB

Correct - a property counts as capital whether or not it is mortgaged. The issue here is that it is not his primary residence, which is always disregarded - in effect, he would be treated as owning a second home.

For SPGC, the first £10,000 of any capital is disregarded. After that, £1 per week is deducted from SPGC entitlement for every £500 of capital over £10k. There is no upper capital limit. A property will be assumed to be worth its fair market valuation less 10% "costs of sale".

Many thanks… I am sure my friend will be delighted to learn that he now owns two properties! Odd that a home with negative equity can be treated as capital, though. TB