Non payment of joint factor fees (Scotland)

SoggyMoggy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3014 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I was looking for some help if I may. I'm not sure if this is in the correct forum, whether it should go to legal or not, but my questions are just general ones for now.

My partner split from her husband 5/6 years ago, but they are still married have a mortgage together. She moved out to her own flat in 2011 and now lives with me.

Last week her husband called to tell her she has a court summons through the door of the house. Upon receiving and opening it, the summons is for non payment of the factor fees associated with the house. In the fees breakdown they last payment was 11/2014, so the husband was paying them until this point.

She has taken a copy of the summons and has sent it back to the husband. She has also scanned it in and emailed it to him so he can deal with it quickly. She is expecting him to pay the debt as this was the way for the first few years.

The summons was only addressed to my partner on the envelope. Inside the first page of the summons it has both their names, as do all the enclosed copies of the invoices, but the very last page with the court summons only has her name.

She never informed the factor when she moved out that only the husband would be paying.

She is worried that:

1. It is only in her name and only she is liable for it.
  2. It is in both their names and she is liable for half.

She will call her husband tonight to see if he is paying this debt and asking him to confirm when he has.

My questions are:

1. Where does she stand if he doesn’t pay?
  2. Should she contact the factor and explain the situation?
  3. Should she contact the court in any way?

I don't have the paperwork to hand just now, but I can provide more detailed information later today when I will have access to it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Soggy I have amended your thread title as factor fees are only charged in Scotland (I assume that is your location) ?

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• 2 weeks later...

The other half called the factor this morning to give them her new address and to tell them she no longer lives at that address. While on the phone she asked if they had been paid by the husband yet for the debt. They haven't. They confirmed that he got a separate summons sent to him and he's been sent all the bills, so it looks like he's been avoiding them

If he doesn't pay and this goes to court, will she get a ccj if they find in the factor's favour? How long does the CCJ stay on her file? Is there anything she can do.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I would imagine the claim should be disputed as it has been paid. I will try and find someone who can confirm for you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I would imagine the claim should be disputed as it has been paid. I will try and find someone who can confirm for you.

Thank you.

She doesn't know how he paid, whether he called them to discuss the debt or by other means. He hasn't included any court fees in the payment. He has said, by text, that he will pay it all, but other than saying this he is vague about everything else. Leaving her wondering where she stands and whether she needs to do anything.

She will call the factor tomorrow and see what they say.

I asked if you should respond to the claim....

Always best to...this is Scottish Procedure so Im assuming as per English...on our claims if its settled you still acknowledge claim ...submit defence (N9b)...defence being that is now paid (complete box 2)...but if you paid after the claim was issued...then you should add the costs of the claim on.

Claimant should inform the court anyway...but .....

So confirm with the ex that this HAS been settled and then I am guessing your defence would be that the debt has been settled and there is no claim to answer.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks for your help.

It looks like he has only paid the outstanding debt without the costs of the claim added on. She will be calling the factor again today to see what they say. I also advised her to text the ex again to see how he paid and what they said to him at the time, and what he is doing about his summons.

Another quick update to this. The factor have told her that she doesn't need to worry about anything, the debt has been settled and they will instruct the solicitors as such. She asked about court fees, but they told her not to worry and she shouldn't respond to the court papers and they will sort everything out with the solicitors. She has asked them to send her a letter to confirm all this so she has it in writing.

She also left a message for the solicitors to call her back (before speaking to the factor). When they call she will ask if they can put something similar in writing.

Most important that she has conformation...re response to summons and re court costs...and retain.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread