• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Bailiff enforcement...McKenzie Friends and their attendance at Magistrate Court hearings.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3034 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just 3 months ago I started a new thread on here to highlight the problems that debtors face when taking advice from the internet to issue court claims against bailiff companies or local authorities. In that thread (a copy of which is below) I highlighted the outcome of yet another court failure where the debtor once again lost his case in court and was ordered to pay the local authorities (London Borough of Southwark) legal costs of £4,399.

In the above case it was revealed that the debtor was charged £2060 in fees by this highly unqualified McKenze Friend who has an appalling history of court failures behind him.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?452784-More-legal-cases-against-bailiff-companies-lost-in-court-after-taking-legal-advice-from-the-internet-!!

It would seem that during December he has been involved in two further court failures. Interestingly in the very latest one, he claims to have represented the debtor at the Magistrates Court hearing in relation to a criminal complaint. It would seem that the Magistrate refused to allow him to either address the court or to 'cross examine the witnesses'!!!

According to the written report from the McKenzie Friend the Magistrate was extremely critical of the defendant and considered that he was lying to the court and that consequently, the McKenzie friend:

"executed the procedure to force the trial to be aborted and be re-listed for a new trial"

and that:

"Im due to Mackenzie again for him, but if I'm declined a second time, then I have a solicitor ready to be pulled from a hat there and then and execute the defence structured on a crown court appeal"

What is particularly alarming about this is that with very limited exception, the use of a McKenzie Friend is restricted to County Court proceedings !!!

Edited by Andyorch
Guru removed

What is particularly alarming about this is that with very limited exception, the use of a McKenzie Friend is restricted to County Court proceedings !!!

In 2010 the Master of the Rolls issued official guidance on the use of McKenzie Friends. The opening paragraph of the Guidance states the following:

This Guidance applies to civil and family proceedings in the Court of Appeal (Civil Division), the High Court of Justice, the County Courts
and the Family Proceedings Court in the Magistrates’ Courts.

It is issued as guidance (not as a Practice Direction) by the Master of the Rolls, as Head of Civil Justice, and the President of the Family Division, as Head of Family Justice.

https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/JCO/Documents/Guidance/mckenzie-friends-practice-guidance-july-2010.pdf

As outlined in the above Guidance, McKenzie Friends may be used in Magistrate Court cases where the matter is in relation to Family Proceedings Court applications. Such hearings are in relation to the Children's Act 1989 and where the majority of McKenzie Friends are representatives of the well know support group 'Fathers need Families'

Perhaps new years resolution, is not to mention the 'guru' site on CAG, as there will always be people who are taken in by the information held on the internet, believing it to be 'magic trick' that will achieve the result they want.

I really don't understand the legality in selling a legal service online, when not a legally qualified person and not registered with a regulatory body. I cannot believe that Trading Standards or other such body have not looked into the legal situation to see whether any case can be made.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Perhaps new years resolution, is not to mention the 'guru' site on CAG, as there will always be people who are taken in by the information held on the internet, believing it to be 'magic trick' that will achieve the result they want.

His name will never be mentioned on here and neither will his forum.

The thread though will be picked up by Google rankings and hopefully may assist any other debtors considering the use of a McKenzie Friend in Magistrate Court proceedings (most usually in relation to cases where a person has been convicted of cutting off a wheel clamp). As confirmed by the McKenzie himself, the court refused to allow him to address the court. Hopefully when his case is re listed for trial he will be properly represented by a qualified solicitor.

Thought it was mentioned in the first comment to this thread. Perhaps 2016 can be the year the 'guru' site is permanently moved to Coventry !

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I really don't understand the legality in selling a legal service online, when not a legally qualified person and not registered with a regulatory body. I cannot believe that Trading Standards or other such body have not looked into the legal situation to see whether any case can be made.

Some have tried and failed to shut the site down, but hey ho buyer beware.... You get what you pay for whether its right or wrong.

Some McKenzie Friends are good at what they do, to show you please see here @ paragraphs 6/7 http://www.theguardian.com/law/2015/dec/17/revealed-divorce-software-error-to-hit-thousands-of-settlements

Finally on this subject if the authorities do nothing about the advice given on that site then why does a particular person keep trying so hard to shut them down? Why doesn't the OP start their own blog to make their concerns public? Just an observation here that's all.

In post #4 line one is clearly wrong as this has been mentioned more times than I can count....

What is the OP's reasoning behind their chain of thought? As far as I am aware anyone can obtain and pay for any advice you wish, then it is up to the person getting the advice whether or not to follow what is given is it not. So ultimately it is the responsibility of the person TAKING that advice not those giving it, whether paid for or not.... The fact that it is paid for advice doesn't mean the advice is right....

emptor cavete - buyer beware

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Some have tried and failed to shut the site down, but hey ho buyer beware.... You get what you pay for whether its right or wrong.

Why doesn't the OP start their own blog to make their concerns public? Just an observation here that's all.

What is the OP's reasoning behind their chain of thought? ]

What needs to be remembered is that that this part of the forum is a DISCUSSION THREAD and for that reason, if anyone wishes to take part in a discussion about the SUBJECT matter (McKenzie Friends and whether or not they are permitted right of audience in criminal cases in the Magistrates Courts) then their contribution is most welcome. If they don't have any contribution to the subject matter then they need no post. It is that simple.

What we should not be doing though is criticising fellow posters.

PS: In fact, I do now have my own blog covering various different subjects.

I am contributing as far as I can see. I just asked a question why you have such views on this subject. It is always up to the Bench/Judge whether to or not to allow a MF to address the Court we all know this. Or is it because it is your well know enemy?

https://www.gov.uk/represent-yourself-in-court/overview

There was a case in the main Courts in London regarding this matter heard/handed down on the 23 I think

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

I just don't understand your role in trying to stop a particular MF from being in/at Court for any case? That's not up to you to decide that's way out of your hands or right to complain....

What needs to be remembered is that that this part of the forum is a DISCUSSION THREAD and for that reason, if anyone wishes to take part in a discussion about the SUBJECT matter (McKenzie Friends and whether or not they are permitted right of audience in criminal cases in the Magistrates Courts) then their contribution is most welcome. If they don't have any contribution to the subject matter then they need no post. It is that simple.

What we should not be doing though is criticising fellow posters.

PS: In fact, I do now have my own blog covering various different subjects.

Far from criticising you BA I just asked some questions on this topic, you chose to have a go I just was looking for some answers. As this is a discussion thread. Out of the 64.1m people in the UK why do you spend so much time talking about just one that gives a paid for service that may be right or wrong? How many MF are there registered in the UK? Why not talk about one of them?

Evening all and a belated happy new year.#

Not referring to whoever is certainly a good idea.

I think the train of thought to provide information to stimulate discussion, as per the heading.

I do not think that buyer beware covers this either TBH. This is usually applicable to goods which are "sold as seen", not to advice which is given under a false representation.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Since I like to get information on this subject I took BAs thoughts and did a quick Google search. I think I have found their blog by using the name followed by blogs, so it looks like this ****** ******* blogs and found it so I will go for a while to have a long read up thanks for the added info back later....

I am contributing as far as I can see. I just asked a question why you have such views on this subject. It is always up to the Bench/Judge whether to or not to allow a MF to address the Court we all know this. Or is it because it is your well know enemy?

https://www.gov.uk/represent-yourself-in-court/overview

There was a case in the main Courts in London regarding this matter heard/handed down on the 23 I think

We have seen this before MM it contains this

What McKenzie Friends may not do

4) MFs may not: i) act as the litigants’ agent in relation to the proceedings; ii)

manage litigants’ cases outside court, for example by signing court

documents; or iii) address the court, make oral submissions or examine

witnesses.

Sorry what was your point again ?

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

This ia really old news. What is disturbing is the current idea that someone who has been advising the debtor can then get themselves called as an expert witness in order to claim cost.

This is even worse and absolute bull. No one can advise a party to an action and then act as a expert witness, it would be contra to the intention of the court, he would be making judgement on the validity of his own advice.

Anyway he would have to be considered an expert by the court. Hardly likely in most cases I have seen on the web.

Just another attempt to convince hapless debtors thqt they will be able to reclaim the MFs fees through the court.

Happy New Year DB/BA/BN I forgot to say.

DB its a crazy world we live in and its all about the money one can get from another. All one can do is put the information out there and hope for the best!

I cant wait for the Courts to open Monday as it has been rather boring during Xmas, time to catch up on items of interest..... This is going to be one of the many questions I hope the bench/Clerk can answer... As Monday is student day here...

Happy New Year DB/BA/BN I forgot to say.

DB its a crazy world we live in and its all about the money one can get from another. All one can do is put the information out there and hope for the best!

Yes and that is what we are all tying to do.

Anyway looks like I will pass on this subject now as I have all I need to know re: MF's It may pay others to look for the case that was handed down on the 23/12/2015 as I may help....

Sorry MM no idea what case you are referring to mate, do you have a link or citation ?

I am a bit lost as to why the thread title is what it is? Because there is little a MF can do with enforcement or Bailiffs! It looks like two different subjects!

Bailiff enforcement...McKenzie Friends and their attendance at Magistrate Court hearings.

Jusr to say that personally I am interested in reading about any cases which go through the courts in regards to bailiff enforcement.

I do not think we should restrict ourselves just because some are related to a particular web site. As said this is a discussion group and it is in the public domain

Anyway I cannot add to this thread so going to bow out I am afraid....

If you do come across that case please let us know.