• Tweets

• The incident was 03rd March 2024 - and that was the only letter that I have received from MET 15th April 2024 The charge I paid was at the Stansted Airport exit gate (No real relevance now - I thought this charge was for that!!).   Here is the content of email to them (Yes I know I said I was the driver !!!!) as said above -  I thought this charge was for that!! "Stansted Airport" Dear “To whom it may concern” My name is ??  PCN:  ?? Veh Reg: Date of Incident: 03rd March 2024 I have just received a parking charge final reminder letter, dated 10th April 2024 - for an overstay.  This is the first to my knowledge of any overstay. I am aware that I am out of the 28 days, I don’t mean to be rude, this feels like it is a scam My movements on this day in question are, I pulled into what looked like a service station on my way to pick my daughter and family up from Stansted airport. The reason for me pulling into this area was to use a toilet, so I found Starbucks, and when into there, after the above, I then purchased a coffee. After which I then continued with my journey to pick my daughter up. (however after I sent this email I remember that Starbucks was closed so I then I walked over to Macdonalds) There was no signs about parking or any tickets machines to explains about the parking rules. Once at Stansted, I entered and then paid on exit.  So Im not show where I overstayed my welcome.. With gratitude    
    • Just to enlarge on Dave's great rundown of your case under Penalty. In the oft quoted case often seen on PCNs,  viz PE v Beavis while to Judges said there was a case for claiming that £100 was a penalty, this was overruled in this case because PE had a legitimate interest in keeping the car park free for other motorists which outweighed the penalty. Here there is no legitimate interest since the premises were closed. Therefore the charge is a penalty and the case should be thrown out for that reason alone.   The Appeals dept need informing about what and what isn't a valid PCN. Dummies. You should also mention that you were unable to pay by Iphone as there was no internet connection and there was a long  queue to pay on a very busy day . There was no facility for us to pay from the time of our arrival only the time from when we paid at the machine so we felt that was a bit of a scam since we were not parked until we paid. On top of that we had two children to load and unload in the car which should be taken into account since Consideration periods and Grace periods are minimum time. If you weren't the driver and PoFA isn't compliant you are off scot free since only the driver is liable and they are saying it was you. 
    • Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x Thank you dx. I consider myself well and truly told :) x
    • Doubt the uneconomic write off would be registered, unless you agreed to accept write off settlement of the claim. It is just cosmetic damage. All that has happened, is that the car has been looked at and they realised the repair costs are going to exceed the value of the car. If the car is perfectly driveable with no upcoming normal work required to pass next MOT, your current Insurers will continue Insurance and you can accept an amount from third party Insurers to go towards you repairing the scratched bodywork.    
    • Peter McCormack says the huge investment by the twins will help Real Bedford build a new ground.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

EU demands foreign docs be allowed to work in UK WITHOUT any checks on qualifications

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3009 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Personally I support us in being in EU, it gives ALL of us an opportunity to work within the whole of Europe,

So what you are saying is that 'no' Brit has ever worked inside any country in Europe until we joined this lying, cheating, money grabbing, German ruled club and if we leave, then all Brits will be kicked out of other European countries.

Edited by Andyorch
Edited

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Mail comes out with stories like this on a daily basis, when put under scrutiny, often they are misleading or just downright untrue.

Personally I support us in being in EU, it gives ALL of us an opportunity to work within the whole of Europe, it is not a one way street, millions of Brits work abroad, my family runs a business in France, and no they were not checked if they could speak French.

I do worry about the state of UK democratic debate. I really cringe, when i hear people quote from newspapers, without ever considering whether the information is totally true or is only part of the story.

Whether you are pro or anti EU or whatever your politics are, you should treat with caution every bit of information that is realeased. Question it thoroughly to see whether it really stacks up and if it is true, whether it really makes any difference.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I do worry about the state of UK democratic debate. I really cringe, when i hear people quote from newspapers, without ever considering whether the information is totally true or is only part of the story.

Whether you are pro or anti EU or whatever your politics are, you should treat with caution every bit of information that is realeased. Question it thoroughly to see whether it really stacks up and if it is true, whether it really makes any difference.

Very good point, I've no doubt that some people still genuinely believe that Freddie Star ate hamsters :)

So what you are saying is that 'no' Brit has ever worked inside any country in Europe until we joined this lying, cheating, money grabbing, German ruled club and if we leave, then all Brits will be kicked out of other European countries. What crap.

Some could lose residency rights or rights to access services. For example a UK state pensioner living in Spain as an EU citizen, can use local healthcare, providing they are registered with the Spanish authorities. There is an arrangement for UK government to pay Spain an annual sum for these people. If the UK left the EU, this type of arrangement might be subject to change. The Spanish could withdraw this healthcare and legally they would be entitled, as British citizens would no longer have rights as EU citizens.

If the UK voted out of the EU, it would take years to sort out all of the various agreements on a huge range of issues. Then there would be years of parliament having to amend legislation. Not to mention businesses having to make changes, particularly those who trade across the EU. It would be years and years of mess ahead, with plenty of arguments. The Scottish people and possiblly tbe Welsh mat decide to leave the UK, so they could apply to join the EU as independent countries.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Very good point, I've no doubt that some people still genuinely believe that Freddie Star ate hamsters :)

The media only have one interest at stake, their own ! If their financial interest was going to be harmed by Brexit, they would have pictures of Farage on their frontpages, with a headline ' is this the most dangerous man in Britain ? '

You can just imagine the Express headline near referendum voting day. ' Britain to be hit with weeks of toxic rain from EU mainland '.

They manipulate the British people like Sheep and some people act like Sheep.

So what you are saying is that 'no' Brit has ever worked inside any country in Europe until we joined this lying, cheating, money grabbing, German ruled club and if we leave, then all Brits will be kicked out of other European countries. What crap.

So what you are saying is that if we leave we can kick all the EU migrants out but they won't kick our expats out? What manure!

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

Disappointing by some points on here, some people have been listening to the rubbish Farrage and his idiotic chums has been spouting and believe that by leaving the EU will be some sort of magic tonic that will leave everyone in the UK richer and happier.

Im a proud European, traveled there quite a lot, spend most of my summers mountain biking in France where there are many ex-pats working and running businesses, this is all at risk should we leave the EU, unless as san_d points out you think that the Uk can take tough sanctions against Europeans wishing to work here but for some reason Brits will be free to work in EU countries, this is wishful thinking.

As a consumer site we should welcome some of the positive changes introduced, capping Roaming charges is an example that springs to mind.

Before the EU, Europeans were working here and Brits were working abroad.

Leaving the EU wouldn't mean that we won't be allowed to go abroad or let Europeans work here.

It would only mean that we won't be subject to the stupid EU ruling on internal affairs and we would save billions we now pay for the running of a pointless and failed confederation of states.

Switzerland and Norway don't seem to be doing that bad and they have a large number of EU migrants working there.

Of course they're also allowed to work and move anywhere in the EU.

Leaving the EU wouldn't mean that we won't be allowed to go abroad or let Europeans work here.

It would only mean that we won't be subject to the stupid EU ruling on internal affairs and we would save billions we now pay for the running of a pointless and failed confederation of states.

Switzerland and Norway don't seem to be doing that bad and they have a large number of EU migrants working there.

Both Norway and Switzerland have to pay in and apply many EU rules. They have small populations and have built economic success based on oil or banking. Norway has put money away from oil revenues and invested it all over the world. I think it was the PM of Norway who said that the UK would be unwise to walk away from the EU, as they would still have to do much of the same, without a seat at the EU table, where they could have influence.

There is no reason why the UK could not do just as well or better outside the EU. My fear is the potential risk, of a failing EU badly affecting the UK economy and the UK breaking up following EU exit. If people voted out of the EU, we could see a domino effect causing the EU to fall apart. This could severly affect the UK economy leading to a period of recession. Personally i would not vote for a risky proposition and agree with what William Hague said recently.

Bit more complicated than that, BUT the automatic right we have to accept any job within the EU wouldn't exist, it would be down to smaller individual agreements. Its questionable whether Switzerland and Norway could in anyway be compared to the UK, have you visited ?, both are absurdly expensive, even for people who live there, a lot of Switzerlands wealth is dubious to say the least, mostly in less than transparent banks that other countries are slowly getting worried about. I really dont think that we in the UK can say hey lets be like Switzerland, we are a completely different type of economy.

As mentioned above I dont believe the EU has stupid rulings, if you believe that then perhaps you are in the wrong forum, they have done a great deal for individual human rights and consumer laws, yes some governments such as the present Tories dont like that as they have no interest in representing the average consumer, just big companies that are happy to rip us off.

This myth that the EU somehow rules over us and makes our lives worse is in my opinion an absolute fallacy.

As mentioned above I dont believe the EU has stupid rulings,

if you believe that then perhaps you are in the wrong forum,

That seems to me to be the definition of what is wrong with this sites management, where certain people think that anyone who disagrees with their opinion should not be here.

they have done a great deal for individual human rights and consumer laws,

This myth that the EU somehow rules over us and makes our lives worse is in my opinion an absolute fallacy

Yes I agree the EU have done a great deal for human rights which it is unlikely any of our parties would have done without that prodding,

but the EU are certainly NOT faultless and an example of a very wrong approach is:

Germany weeing all over the rules, laws and security of the EU by not just allowing, but encouraging illegal migrants into europe while leaving genuine refugees in refugee camps

Whether Camerons stance that refugees should come via legitimate methods from refugee camps is just rhetoric delay tactics or not, what he says is the right approach, and Merkels decisions on behalf of a very opposing EU is one example of a very wrong 'edict'.

Which has put the structure and security of every nation in the EU and the EU itself at great risk.

The Tory Legacy

Record high Taxes, Immigration, Excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Record low: living standards and investment

Crumbling Hospitals, Schools, council services, businesses and roads

If only the Govt had thrown a protective ring around care homes with the same gusto they do around their crooked MPs

“This is specifically not allowed. Mr. Mansour used to be a Cabinet Minister in Egypt, he has given the Tories a huge amount of money, and immediately gets a knighthood.

That seems straightforwardly corrupt.  Shouldn’t they both be in jail?”

The point being made is not only Human Rights, but all of the consumer and employment rights that have come from the EU, which may not have been given by UK parliament.

The Tories want to opt out of the EU chapter regarding employment rights, as they think it would benefit employees and employers. It is a question of whether you believe government would legislate to protect employees, if there was not EU wide law offering protection.

The point being made is not only Human Rights, but all of the consumer and employment rights that have come from the EU, which may not have been given by UK parliament.

The Tories want to opt out of the EU chapter regarding employment rights, as they think it would benefit employees and employers. It is a question of whether you believe government would legislate to protect employees, if there was not EU wide law offering protection.

Yes some excellent points, we stand to lose a lot of rights/protection and yet gain what ? Its all about Tories wishing to weaken workers/consumers rights IMO.

If you break your leg or have a heart attack in any country, do you start asking for proof of medical qualifications of the Doctors and Nurses helping you, before they start any treatment.

Oh, I've been tempted. It is my understanding that a doctor must be registered by the GMC before being allowed to practise in the NHS. It seems to me that the NHS/GP practice see this (registration by the GMC) as a green light to forgo or minimise thorough pre-employment checks. Dr Ubani is a case in point. It wasn't just his language skills that were poor.

because doctors have a direct effect on health and if you live or die. The others dont. Doctors are also much more highly trained and spend upwards of 10 years in university and medical school. Brickies and plumbers can do it over the summer in night school

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Well, yes and no. Yes, but you had to have either a working visa or there were bilateral agreements between states to import (usually unskilled) workforce, not that kind of crowd you really want.

20-30 years ago unemployment rates were very low across all Europe and it was almost automatic to get a visa. Also most women didn't work and chose to be housewives rather than to pursue a career.

Different times. Chalk and cheese.

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for Poundland"

Well, yes and no. Yes, but you had to have either a working visa or there were bilateral agreements between states to import (usually unskilled) workforce, not that kind of crowd you really want.

20-30 years ago unemployment rates were very low across all Europe and it was almost automatic to get a visa. Also most women didn't work and chose to be housewives rather than to pursue a career.

Different times. Chalk and cheese.

I'll ignore the comments on unskilled workforce but your recollections of 20-30 years ago regarding employment and women choosing to be housewives are very different to mine!!

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

The last 30 years has seen the biggest changes since the industrial revolution. New computer based technology is replacing human labour, at a time when human populations are rising sharply. Asia was used as a source of cheap labour, but those economies are investing in new technology, which means they don't need the same number of workers.

The EU is struggling, but it is mainly because of the problems with the world economy. The various governments have not worked out how globalisation works for them. The EU needs skilled migrants such as Doctors, Nurses, Engineers, Scientists, but it does not need too many unskilled migrants, who come to take jobs on minimum wage or below. How can the EU control migration, if they don't have agreed controls on all borders, particularly those bordering countries outside the EU. There also needs to be rules on skilled workers registration, to support free movement across the EU.

The UK cannot isolate itself from the rest of the world and even outside of the EU would have to work with countries all around the world on all of the issues including migration. Leaving the EU is not the magic solution to controlling population, as the UK actively encourages migration e.g foreign students, working visas, rights of some commonwealth citizens. It might stop some EU migration, but it might also mean some Brits cannot relocate to EU mainland.

This has been said by so many in so many different ways about isolation. The UK will not go outside and isolate itself from the rest of the world. that means cutting all trade deals and ties with every other country etc etc. I've no idea where this idea keeps coming from.

You are suggesting that this was the poorest country in the world before we joined Europe when the exact opposite was the truth, we were one of the strongest. Yes things change, but there is no reason why enterprise cannot continue to flourish.