Renewal time arrives and my 18 years NCD has turned into 9

tobyjugg2
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3018 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Its been almost a year since I took up Hastings Direct insurance and discovered they immediately turned my 17 years no claims discount into 9 years.

I complained and was told I would not lose any discount despite their systems only logging up to 9 years, and despite a number of reports here that customers who did not notice that Hastings had truncated their NCD DID lose their NCD above 9 years.

The renewal of my fully comp (which apparently isn't actually what I understand as fully comp with Hastings I have since discovered) with 17 years protected no claims at taking it out is being shown on the document as 9 years NCD.

Luckily I haven't had to make a claim and hence be sold of to some third party shyster company to inflate costs and require me to sign credit agreements for cover that should be included in a fully comp policy .....

Lets see what happens for me.

You know what IS patriotic?

Loving your country enough to care for its old and poor, fund its institutions, unite its communities, feed, house and educate its children, restore and live in balance with its environment, plan with care for its future, build its alliances, and perhaps above all - tell it the truth

The Tory Legacy

Record high: taxes, immigration, excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

Record low: living standards and investment

Crumbling Hospitals, schools, council services, businesses and roads

They squander taxpayer money by the £thousands on a failed ex-PMs luxury troughing on a plane, rather than feed UK children

Quite correct Ford - I should have included that. Thank you.

Possibly should have just added to the end of that thread ..

Loving your country enough to care for its old and poor, fund its institutions, unite its communities, feed, house and educate its children, restore and live in balance with its environment, plan with care for its future, build its alliances, and perhaps above all - tell it the truth

The Tory Legacy

Record high: taxes, immigration, excrement in waterways, energy company/crony profits

They squander taxpayer money by the £thousands on a failed ex-PMs luxury troughing on a plane, rather than feed UK children

i saw an article where it was saying that different insurers may use different years/calculations re ncd, but 9 years being the acceptable minimum for 'full' ncd? and if they want to investigate further then they can get confirmation from the insurer.

Same as octagone.

Most insurers charge the same premium for 9 years ncd or any more.

We are talking about not registering and improperly and unreasonably reducing customers earned NCD

and anyway, No they dont charge the same over 9 years. Some may, but Hastings is the first one I've come across that does

and I confiormed it when it first came to light by doing my quotes with 9 years and with 17 years - and the quotes came out differently and lower (with 17 years) as I stated in the linked original thread,

The Tory Legacy

Normally any reduction for no claims is restricted to say 9 years. If you put 17 years in for a quote, it might give you a cheaper premium, but it won't be because a different percentage discount for no claims is being allowed.

This situation is not unique to Hastings. Very few companies will issue NCD proof above their maximum, unless you ask them and even then it can be a struggle, as they may have to retrieve the previous insurers NCD proof you sent to them.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

If you put 17 years in for a quote, it might give you a cheaper premium, but it won't be because a different percentage discount for no claims is being allowed.

Then what is it that results in cheaper quotes when the only change is entering 9 or 17 years NCD unclebulgaria?

That was how I tested.

The Tory Legacy

We are talking about not registering and improperly and unreasonably reducing customers earned NCD

and anyway, No they dont charge the same over 9 years. Some may, but Hastings is the first one I've come across that does

and I confiormed it when it first came to light by doing my quotes with 9 years and with 17 years - and the quotes came out differently and lower (with 17 years) as I stated in the linked original thread,

I'm in your same situation with octagon.

I had 15 years ncd and they only go up to 9.

I tried a quote with 15 years and came up with the same amount as when putting 9.

Maybe different for other insurers.

I'm in your same situation with octagon.

I had 15 years ncd and they only go up to 9.

I tried a quote with 15 years and came up with the same amount as when putting 9.

Maybe different for other insurers.

I did it on a handful of the comparison sites rather than individual sites and the quotes came out different for a number of sites. I seem to recall it was even different for Hastings but not certain now. May have been Hastings rather than Hastings direct.

There are other issues with sites (Swiftcover for one) not actually giving what you put in as a requirement (ie courtesy car) in the comparison, but to give Hastings their due, when I sent them the comparison reference, they gave me what should have been there at no extra cost.

You also need to be very careful about what each company considers interpretations of what various things like a courtesy car add-on are.

Hastings (and others it would seem) apparently only give you a courtesy car if you use their shyster (in my opinion) third party mis-'management company who expects you to sign credit agreements, even if you put 'I want a courtesy car' in you specs. Even then its only - if available.

I dont doubt Hastings are not the only ones doing this.

Just to clarify,

I don't really care if they are competitive as I'll go where the best deals and service are, and none of these companies seem to value loyalty, but I DO care that they are in the process of wiping out 9 years of my earned and paid for NCD that WILL get me a better deal with other companies.

The Tory Legacy