Lowell Solicitors Letter of Claim - Shop Direct account

LR712
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3046 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

First time that I've ever posted so bear with me.

I have recently received a letter of claim from Lowell Solicitors stating the following.

"We have not heard from you regarding your Shop Direct account and are instructed by our client, Lowell Portfolio I Ltd, to commence Legal Action and issue a Claim against you in the County Court Bulk Centre (CCBC) in respect of this debt.

You must contact us or make arrangements to pay within the next 14 days or a Claim will be issued without further notice to you. If a claim is issued you will become for futher Court Fees, Solicitor's costs and interest which are estimated below:

Current Balance £3171.33

Estimated Interest £253.71

Estimated Court Fee £185.00

Estimated Solicitor Costs £80.00

Estimated Total £3690.04"

Then goes on to say about failure to respond may result in a CCJ.Any advice on what should i do?

Thanks

Righto, so this is a letter to say they are considering legal action against you and not an actual claim, yes ?

Do you know what this is about ?

Have you received previous communication from Lowell or their agents ?

This would be way of a Notice of Assignment, advising the account has been sold/assigned to Lowell.

Did you receive a Default Notice from Shop Direct?

When did you cease payments ?

It would appear that there is a debt outstanding to Shop Direct. They have now sold the delinquent account to Lowells who are now chasing for this.

If you can answer the questions above, we can advise on how to move forward with this.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks citizenB.

Righto, so this is a letter to say they are considering legal action against you and not an actual claim, yes ?

Yes

Do you know what this is about ?

I do remember having a shop direct account some years ago.

Have you received previous communication from Lowell or their agents ?

I have received a debt chasing letter from Lowell Portfolio recently.

This would be way of a Notice of Assignment, advising the account has been sold/assigned to Lowell.

Did you receive a Default Notice from Shop Direct?

Not that i can remember.

When did you cease payments ?

Not sure, just checked my credit file for the below.

Opened: 6 Oct '08 with an initial balance of £3,027

Defaulted on 19 Feb '13 with a default balance of £3,027

Does this help in any way?

Thanks

Well it does look as though you might owe this and unless you have a good reason for not making the payments, eg a dispute that went unresolved - or the sums involved, you might need to get in touch with Lowell and come to an arrangement to pay.

At the moment you have over 3 years before this becomes statute barred - if you end up with a Judgment against you, then you are going to be looking at a further 6 years of having your credit file trashed.

Was there any Payment Protection Insurance or default penalty charges added to the account that you might be able to reclaim ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I honestly can't remember if there was PPI or default penalty charges.

The only paperwork I have are the last two letters mentioned above.

I didn't really use the account, but I know my ex used to buy things from Kays.

Does the statue barred date run from the default or last payment, I'm still trying to find out when their was a last payment.

On the report the balance from 2008 is the same as default in 2013, does this mean there were no payment made between this time?

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

From the last payment or written acknowledgement.........(SB)

If the balance is the same in 2013 as it was in 2008, then that might suggest there have been no payments yes, it would also suggest that the account was terminated around 08, hence the failure to add interest and further charges.

Definitely needs further investigation and research before you get cash cowed by lowlifes.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

If you ignore them, they will for sure issue a claim.

Unless you can find out some other way, you need to telephone the original creditor and establish when the last payment was made to the account - if it was in 2008, then quite frankly they should have defaulted the account sooner than 2013 and you might well have a statute barred defence should a claim be issued. But, you need to be absolutely positive when that payment was made.

You could send a CCA request to Lowells and a SAR to the original Creditor - this might show if there were default/penalty charges added and might also indicate when the last payment was made.

BCOBS

looks like no payment made ever

so its SB'd...

but I wouldn't be telling that to the fleecers

let them issue a claimform and let the judge have a laugh

you sure that defaulted date is getting read correctly

and is not the updated date you are reading from the CRA file?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Aside from the possibility of it being SB, if it was Shop Direct then there will be umpteen penalty charges from Shop Direct AND NDR acting as DCAs for the account pre-termination. They just loved to apply two penalty charges per letter and let it run over a few months just to bump the value up before defaulting the account.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

Hi, sorry for the lack of response but I have been trying to track down when the last payment was made.

I can't find any emails relating to this and I changed my bank a couple of years ago so I can't track back through any statements.

Would I be allowed to upload a snapshot of the account from my annualcreditreport, if all personal details were blanked out.

Thanks

ofcourse you can

simply PDF it

follow the UPLOAD

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Looks like it could well be Statute Barred, and lowells have simply gotten greedy. With that initial letter they sent, im 99% sure they know its a lemon debt but are trying to scare you.

Give the Original Creditor a ring and ask them when the last payment was made.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D