wonder value in south London - Car is totally of no use - just bought it

mashmallow
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3026 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased a car on 27/11/15 from a car dealer named 'wonder value' in south London.

when I bought the car I was advised of no problems at all

however on the invoice the dealer wrote a note that the vehicle may need new cam belt, brake pads or sensors.

I accepted the offer as the car had only recently passed its MOT and I had looked at the certificate.

I purchased the car for £1795 and paid £60 for him to drive it home for me so I could insure it once home.

The day after a note on the dashboard was flashing up saying 'anti pollution faulty' and 'oil level low'.

I obviously expected the oil to be low that was not a problem,

when I got home I then put oil in the car thinking both lights would disappear.

Both lights did not disappear

I took it to the garage,

I paid for a diagnostic and new spark plugs.

the next day again, the anti faulty pollution light and oil light was still showing.

the garage checked my oil level and it was not low at all.

i then took it back again and there was still a problem

they wanted me to pay another £350 when i have spent £320 on diagnostic, spark plugs, sensors for the car and the oil to be filtered.

I have contacted the man who sold the car and he gave £120 towards the repairs,

however this does not even cover the cost of repairs.

I have had to pay insurance for the car and all these repairs and have only owned it for 3 weeks.

I have not even been able to drive the car apart from to and from the garage and had non stop problems.

i am a student and cannot afford to pay all these expenses.

i have contacted the dealer and told him i want a full refund and he needs to pay for all the expenses.

he then replied stating he has refunded the £120 and that was the final offer,

however i believe due to my statutory rights i am able to return the car as he has sold it faulty

and it was not advised of any of these problems when purchased.

I have threatened him that i will take him to trading standards

and take this to court if he does no agree to the terms.

Please advise the best and first course of action

Regards

Mashmallow

You need to refuse the car and demand an immediate refund of the FULL price you paid for it,

if you want to chase for the cost of the repairs you've already had carried out, then you may need to go down

the small claims track.

But you need to get rid of the lemon first.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks for the reply has I asked for a full refund and he does not want to know,

as mentioned only had the lemon 3 weeks or so he is coming out with he did offer some payment towards the repair,

but since then more problems has occurred therefore now costing £300 more to repair,

he is not prepared to give any refunds for the lemon so proving a difficult one here.

Just want to take him to court now don't know where to start ?????????????

Mashmallow

how did you pay for the car?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

aw schucks...

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Trading standards first, let them know there is a rogue car dealer and his details.

Then you should write him a letter informing him that you want to return the car and demand a full refund, give him a date by which you want a response from him, whether he agrees or not.

Then you can get your figures together and work out how much he owes you, have you got the receipts for the work you've had carried out?

If he ignores you, or denies any liability, then your next move would be to send him a LBA giving him a further 7 days in which to refund or you will seek remedy via the small claims track which will include costs, interest, and now the full costs you have spent on repairs to date.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

What garage did you take it to for a diagnostic and repair ?

What did the diagnostic show ?

Why did you agree to new spark plugs, that has nothing to do with a particulate filter or oil level ?

Did you contact the seller immediately the problem showed ?

Important questions please answer.

Edited by Conniff

I took the car to a place called SL motors at first which is where I got the new spark plugs and diagnostic.

I got new spark plugs because the engine light appeared and when they done the diagnostic I thought this would fix the problem. I don't really know too much about cars.

then again the car was still faulty, so I took it back to be told more problems.

I had it fixed then again more problems,

I took it to a different garage as I thought they were taking the mick.

the new garage also advised the same problems and costs.

I contacted the seller and he refunded £120 to my account for repairs

however the full repairs were £340.

I have sent him a letter demanding a full refund and to return the car as per my statutory rights, haven't heard back yet.

I have given him 7 days to hear back and I sent the letter 21/12/15.

Please can you advise.

Mashmallow

I will allow the thief a bit more breathing space, I am however sending an e-mail to trading standards to support my claim against him if needs to go to court as I have told him in the letter. So just have to wait now, this makes me feel sick thinking about this mess up should have known better.

Mashmallow

It's a reflection of him not you, you were not to know that it would turn out like this, don't allow it to dampen your Christmas, he can wait until the new year.

RD isn't required until you send the LBA, just obtain 'proof of posting' which is free from the PO counter.

click the lba link

and they

Will be interesting to see what he has responded with, but a LBA = Letter before action, something which, by the sounds of it, you're going to have to send in order to escalate the matter and get a full refund.

Have you informed Trading Standards of this rogue garage?

You didn't actually tell us anything about a lot of the claims made in that letter, that you agreed etc. I can't understand why you didn't immediately contact the seller and take it back there, they have a right to first go at repairs and if that is not viable, then to either replace it with a similar model or give you a refund.

I can't see that you have much to go on here and certainly not enough to start a court claim.

Agreed, I don't think you can do anything now, as they clearly offered to rectify the issues raised, but you appear to have not taken them up on that offer.

I wouldn't like your chances of a successful claim, if at all.

Either run it into the ground accepting you bought a lemon, or try and flog it on and recoup some of your losses, but don't attempt to hide

the state of the vehicle to any prospective buyer if you do.