Shoplifting and credit card tracing

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3048 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I shoplifted in Boots the other day, but also made a purchase with my credit card, so I'm probably on CCTV, and they have my credit card details.

I took approximately €30 worth of makeup, and as I was leaving the shop, I heard a shop assistant say "Excuse me!"

I didn't even look to see if it was me who she was talking to, I just ran.

I feel so terrible about both stealing and how dumb I was.

If they decide to trace me using my credit card details,

when should I expect a call from the police, a few weeks or months?

The worry is driving me crazy.

I shoplifted in Boots the other day, but also made a purchase with my credit card, so I'm probably on CCTV, and they have my credit card details. I took approximately €30 worth of makeup, and as I was leaving the shop, I heard a shop assistant say "Excuse me!" I didn't even look to see if it was me who she was talking to, I just ran. I feel so terrible about both stealing and how dumb I was. If they decide to trace me using my credit card details, when should I expect a call from the police, a few weeks or months? The worry is driving me crazy.

They might not bother, as they will have many thefts happening on a daily basis. They may not want their security staff spending time on searching through CCTV records, when they should be watching the store. They will catch people stealing and deal with them, mostly by using retail loss protection asking for a sum of money, rather than involving Police. Most high street stores don't contact the Police regarding small thefts and now deal with it on a civil basis.

Don't do it again and don't go back to that store. The security staff at the shop may have your picture.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Sooner rather than later i would have thought.

Realistically speaking tho, the police would have a tough time going anywhere with this if there were no stolen goods in your possession, if and when they traced you. Unless of course you were to admit the wrongdoing.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Hi and welcome to CAG

Firstly, you need to address the problem that caused you to shoplift in the first place. Try and work out the reasons why you did it,

Theoretically, the store could trawl through the CCTV and try to spot the time when you paid for the other stuff. They would have to pass on your details to the police for them to take action.

Whether they will is another matter which we cannot say one way or the other. If nothing happens, I suggest you get some postal orders to the value of the goods and send them to Boots head office. You can do this anonymously.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Sooner rather than later i would have thought.

Realistically speaking tho, the police would have a tough time going anywhere with this if there were no stolen goods in your possession, if and when they traced you. Unless of course you were to admit the wrongdoing.

They would have CCTV evidence

They might not bother, as they will have many thefts happening on a daily basis. They may not want their security staff spending time on searching through CCTV records, when they should be watching the store. They will catch people stealing and deal with them, mostly by using retail loss protection asking for a sum of money, rather than involving Police. Most high street stores don't contact the Police regarding small thefts and now deal with it on a civil basis.

Don't do it again and don't go back to that store. The security staff at the shop may have your picture.

Hi, thanks for your reply. We dont have RLP here in Ireland, I think most shops tend to call the police and let them deal with it.

They indeed will have CCTV which is why i said sooner rather than later.

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Weeks or months?

Days. If they bother to search, they will deal with it quite quickly.

• Confused 1

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The incident was a couple of days ago as you say, if you havent had a visit within a week i doubt you will. It will require a lot of effort to get the information they need to trace you.

Unless you are a career criminal then the worst case scenario would be a fine in court. They would of course also have the burden of proving a theft had taken place.

Imho you have probably already got away with it this time but please refrain from repeating, you might not be so lucky again.

• Confused 1