Propane in industrial unit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3019 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I rent an industrial unit.

It is purpose built, and not connected to any office, retail or residential space.

I have used a propane space heater there.

My landlord says this is unsafe, and against the terms of the lease.

I can challenge the 'unsafe' accusation by showing that the gas is used and stored in accordance with all regulations and suppliers guidelines.

I am less certain about the lease.

It does not mention bottled gas specifically, but...

"The Tenant will not store at or bring to the Property an article, substance or liquid of a radioactive, combustible, inflammable or dangerous nature."

There is no doubt that propane is flammable. But then so is a piece of paper. Am I being unreasonable?

IMO, Yes. Your Lease prohibits storage of LPG canisters. A sheet of paper does not explode when heated and Fire Brigade do not put an exclusion zone in place just for a burning sheet of paper.

You could ask Fire Brigade Officer to do a risk assessment/inspection of the Property to try & placate LL, but these 'conditions' may be requirement of Planning Approval or LL Insurers.

What Planning designation does the unit have and what business are you conducting there?

Would they allow you to use a diesel / paraffin heater? The one's I'm thinking of works the same way as a space heater and do put out a huge amount of heat. Since diesel isn't flammable in its natural state, you should have no problems.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/c/diesel-paraffin-heaters/

Or depending on how big the unit is, electric infra red heaters would put out nice heat too.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/categories/?search=infra+red+heaters

I did suggest keeping the gas cylinder outside when this first came up. They are determined that it would still be "dangerous" (disagree) and against the lease (true - there is a clause prohibiting outside storage).

That doesn't seem to stop the tenants of adjacent units from keeping things outside, or heating with butane. I'm sure the LL would say that is none of my business, and indeed there is a clause in the lease to say that non-parties cannot enforce any of its terms. One thing I've learned from this is that in a business-to-business transaction, the letter of the lease is all that matters.

The diesel heater idea is a good one and I shall investigate further.

This all arose out of an Energy Performance Certificate inspection. The unit was let to me without an EPC in place, but the particulars claimed it was grade E. The LL noticed that the EPC was missing. Now the EPC is done it's rated grade G, and listed as heated entirely by electricity.