Please help, expecting letters from RLP

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3047 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thank you to anybody who decides to help.

My family are having money problems and despite never doing it before, I for some reason decided to slip some cosmetics into my pockets.

I had made my way out of the store when a security guard had stopped me

and brought me into a security room at the back of Boots.

the police man was there and gone and nobody had really explained anything to me.

I asked the security guard what to expect and she said that I would be banned from Boots,

they would take my photo for the Retail Crime Operation,

in which i would be banned from all the shops also under it for 12 months.

They also gave me a notice of Intended Civil Recovery from RLP and said to expect a letter regarding what I need to pay.

I signed something accepting the 12 month ban and was sent on my way.

I am really seeking advice/info on what to expect, whether this can affect me in any other way, the likelihood of how long RLP will badger me or if they will take me to court.

Please help!

Edited by curiosity

Hi and welcome to CAG.

As the police did nothing it is highly unlikely they will do so.

Please read around the RLP forum to find out more about them but to allay your fears.

a) RLP cannot take you to court. Boots could but I suspect they won't bother as there has been no loss to them (they got the stuff back)

b) RLP will send anywhere between 4 and 6 letters over the next few months making demands and laying out their reasons why they feel it is appropriate. You are quite safe to ignore them.

c) Once RLP have sent the letters, they will pass this charge to a debt collector. The debt collector have even less rights than RLP.

They will try anything to get you to roll over and pay. Please don't fall for it.

I assume you have a mental health worker. Have a chat with them as there may be another way of seeing RLP off.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi and welcome to CAG.

As the police did nothing it is highly unlikely they will do so.

Please read around the RLP forum to find out more about them but to allay your fears.

a) RLP cannot take you to court. Boots could but I suspect they won't bother as there has been no loss to them (they got the stuff back)

b) RLP will send anywhere between 4 and 6 letters over the next few months making demands and laying out their reasons why they feel it is appropriate. You are quite safe to ignore them.

c) Once RLP have sent the letters, they will pass this charge to a debt collector. The debt collector have even less rights than RLP.

They will try anything to get you to roll over and pay. Please don't fall for it.

I assume you have a mental health worker. Have a chat with them as there may be another way of seeing RLP off.

Thank you very much, I know you are probably repeating things but I decided to make a new thread to find the information I needed. You are helping comfort that ignoring them is safe.

And I do but I'm too ashamed to even tell my mother! Part of me wants to just use any money for christmas I get in an attempt to get them to leave me and this address alone.

I know but I felt pretty vulnerable at the time. I was going to fake the address but they wanted a post code and everything, and i never really had a choice! The security guard just took a company phone out and took the photo!

I know but I felt pretty vulnerable at the time. I was going to fake the address but they wanted a post code and everything, and i never really had a choice! The security guard just took a company phone out and took the photo!

thats one thing that they play on, vulnerability. ie if you dont do xyz then we'll call the police. but, seeing as the police were called anyway.

a name/address maybe, but not a photo. thats disproportionate (and poss illegal) imo (the police dont even do that). and anyway both wld need actual consent (which i bet they dont ask for prior).

In my opinion, you really should confide with your mum then show her some of the threads here regarding what RLP can do (nothing)

Having said that, RLP have a duty of care so it is possible to get them to stop harassing you earlier but it is something I am loathe to recommend as it means accepting guilt when you haven't been convicted by a court. I only mention this as you should know all avenues.

OK, when the letter arrives, get proof of your mental illness and send it to RLP. There is no guarantee this will work.

My main opinion is to totally ignore them.

If you don't (or can't) tell your mum, ensure that she doesn't open your mail. She may question you as to why you are getting letters from the same address.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

see the threads on them.

the retained photo may well be 'illegal', unless consent was given. as mentioned, the police dont even do that re 'suspicion'. anyway, maybe a side issue for now in yr circs. (dont like to see Piers Morgans pretending that they have more power than they actually have. :))

Would this affect my job prospects? (besides the ban for 12 months of course)

No! You have not been convicted of a criminal offence where disclosure would be recommended.

This is a civil penalty which will never appear on a DBS check. As for the ban, who would want to go to Boots anyway. they are ruddy expensive. Plenty of other shops available.

I don't think the taking of photo's would be classed as illegal as they are allowed to do such things 'for the prevention and detection of crime'

What they cannot do is share it with the public.

No! You have not been convicted of a criminal offence where disclosure would be recommended.

This is a civil penalty which will never appear on a DBS check. As for the ban, who would want to go to Boots anyway. they are ruddy expensive. Plenty of other shops available.

I don't think the taking of photo's would be classed as illegal as they are allowed to do such things 'for the prevention and detection of crime'

What they cannot do is share it with the public.

Okay thank you very much! You are being a big help.

the police maybe. but not joe public in private, unless consent.

anyway, a side issue. :)