CDUK chasing old BT bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3024 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

so does anyone know if CDUK are legit?....

they are chasing me for £275 for early cancellation of an 18 month BT contract, which i cancelled after 12 months due to moving out of the property. BT claimed they have requested payment numerous times but they havent. I got an email out of the blue from CDUK saying they wanted £275.

I am thinking about just paying it because i dont want the hassle......despite it seeming really unfair.....but i also dont want to be ripped of by [problematic]....

so does anyone know if CDUK are legit?....

they are chasing me for £275 for early cancellation of an 18 month BT contract, which i cancelled after 12 months due to moving out of the property. BT claimed they have requested payment numerous times but they havent. I got an email out of the blue from CDUK saying they wanted £275.

I am thinking about just paying it because i dont want the hassle......despite it seeming really unfair.....but i also dont want to be ripped of by [problematic]....

I can say in my case I got the email back in may but I challenged BT due to various issues I had with them. I also challenged CDUK and never got any sort of letter from them or nothing. Your circumstances might be different but that what I had with them. Completely nothing

thanks for the reply.....

Do you think I should try and dispute it with BT then? or contact CDUK?

I'm just reading some of the posts on here that question whether or not CDUK are even licenced to carry out debt recovery. The address they are using is for a property i moved out of in 2014, and not even the property i had my last BT account with. So I'm confused.

I can afford to pay the debt no problem, i just dont want to if its not 100% legit, and i'm not sure it is....

Edited by UncleBen1981

pers I'd ignore them

a dca is not a bailiff

and has no such legal powers

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Why would you want to entertain a powerless DCA?

The issue is with BT not some toothless tin pot DCA.

Ignore CDUK entirely, if it bothers you then don't even read their computer generated drivel, just file it under ignore.

The debt is most likely full of BT's charges, and you have to ask yourself, if they really wanted it, then why would they farm it out to some puerile third party to collect and take their cut out of it, forget it.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

wow....interesting responses.....much appreciated..

they've been phoning me a fair bit recently too.....which is annoying....

is there any way I can find out exactly what powers they have?.......my main concern was having a pair of meat heads turn up on my doorstep one morning......i'm not so concerned about my credit rating as apart from this I've never had any kind of debt issues.....

The following paragraph will tell you exactly what 'powers' they have,

So now you know. They have absolutely ZERO powers to do anything, as for a couple of 'meat heads' turning up on your doorstep, er, I think you've been watching too many documentaries on CH5.

DCA's are NOT bailiffs, nor will they ever be, next doors cat has much more legal power to be on your property than any unsolicited stranger, treat them the same as you would a gypsy selling wooden pegs.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Honestly, there is zero they can do, less for sending out puerile missives, and harassing phonecalls, which you should document with a view of reporting them to the police for the criminal offence of harassment.

There is also a telephone harassment letter you can send the clowns, to put them on strict notice.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?387367-Harassment-by-Telephone-**Update-21st-April-2014**

excellent....

so i'm guessing i've managed to dodge the utterly ridiculous £220 early cancellation fee from BT?......if they have sold the debt to CDUK as they've said then I assume they are happy, and if CDUK have no powers to recover the debt then the debt is virtually non-existent now?

Not non existent no. And highly likely to be enforceable if they wish to pursue it.

What I mean is that unless they have sold it, then the DCA is powerless to act, IF they have flogged it, then the DCA 'could' take legal action.

The best form of defence is attack, communicate with BT and find out what is early cancellation fees and charges then make them an offer to pay what you physically owe, if you left early for whatever reason then ignoring them won't help, you need to talk to them, IN WRITING only, never discuss financial issues over the phone, keep a diary of events.

I've just logged into my old BT account and i still have the option of paying the original £220 outstanding debt on there. Would you think it best for me to just pay BT off and hope CDUK will go away?....

or might that leave me with BT being paid off and CDUK still chasing?

tough call......

thanks for the advice......

East call,

Pay off the BT, ''if'' that is what you owe?

IGNORE CDUK, you owe them nowt, once you have satisfied BT, you owe no-one anything, and CDUK can chase all they want.

own thread created.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

whats the debt all about

old landline bill

and they

aha sorry early cancellation charge

that's extortionate at £220.

think you need to check that out properly.

did you inform bt you were moving or whatever?

dx

and they

I rang them to tell them that I will be moving out of the property at short notice - as it genuinely was. They asked if I could transfer the account to my next address, I said I couldn't because my girlfriend already has an account with Virgin.

They have itemized it as:

£143.18 in unpaid bills (even though I was completely up to date with payments).

£76.82 for line rental and broadband up to the end of contract.

I have just tried to pay it on the BT website and although it says i have £220 outstanding, when I go to the Make A Payment screen and try to pay it, it says the payment amount exceeds the outstanding bill.

Guess it really does just sit with CDUK now.

As an aside I am really surprised that i can't find much in the way of similar instances on the internet.....I thought I would find an abundance of info on CDUK but it really seems quite sparse and flimsy.

I've been advised everything from 'ignore it, they'll just go away', to 'pay it ASAP because they will just keep increasing the amount you owe and you'll have to pay it eventually'....

I probably should've just paid the £220 in the first instance, but I thought it was such a cheek to charge me that kind of money just for simply terminating a service. I expected some kind of early cancellation fee, but £220 is completely unfair.

And like I said, BT claim they contacted me numerous times about it, but they haven't. I received no warning of their intention to hand the debt on to a debt recovery agency. I just received an email of notification with a 25% increase.

well they prob wrote to the old address knowing bt

id certainly not pay that amount

and certainly never to a no powers DCa

they are not bailiffs...end of.

is your credit file trashed?

dx

and they

so this debt is not on your credit file

and

the old address it relates too is showing in linked addresses?

dx

and they

I'm not sure if the debt is on my credit file, how would I find that out?....

I moved from property A (that the CDUK quotes) to property B (where i kept/had a new account with BT - which I initially thought the debt related to).

Then I moved out of property B at short notice to property C (where I live now).

Now I get this email....which in my eyes, seems to relate to property B.....but quotes the address of property A.

sorry about this....it all sounds a bit messy, but its down to BT being rubbish....

creditfiles are in my sig below

dx

and they

I wouldn't believe anything on MSE website IMO.

If your scared of them dipping into your account, which they don't, then send experian £2 for a hard copy.