DLA/PiP disciptor list and points

mikeymack2002
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3053 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) – table of activities, descriptors and points

Daily Living Activities and Mobility Issues...

Some readers are confused with what the DLA/PiP descriptor/s are and what points could be awarded.

Here is a guide that could answer some of your questions.

See this link >> https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/Global/Migrated_Documents/adviceguide/pip-9-table-of-activities-descriptors-and-points.pdf

This is a guide only,

as each claimant will need to have his/her own points to be able to qualify for these benefits.

These may help you understand how your illness/disability affects you

and how it may affect the outcome of your claim.

This guidance also includes the descriptors'/points for mobility too...

The first 6 pages are for daily living part of your claim, see section 1-10 then for mobility please see pages 6-7 sections 1-2...

Also I have added a 12 point diary for you to use if you wish (very useful tool),

this can be found here >> http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?457126-DLA-Pip-12-point-diary(21-Viewing)-nbsp

Print off as many as you need and keep them until you need to reclaim or provide written proof

as to what your abilities are around the home and out in public.

Please remember there are good days and bad days, these all need to be kept in the diary...

If you have any questions regarding the use of the diary please start your new thread for more detailed advice...

Finally getting regular written reports from your care providers/Dr's/Consultant/carer will also be very useful...

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

It really is essential that before filling in the 'how your disability affects you' form, people have a clear idea of what they should score points for so that they can include the most relevant information.

E.g. there is little point in going on at length about needing help to remember to take your life saving pills as no matter how much help you need you'll only get 1 point. If you also need help every day doing your physio exercises however you could score more points for needing help with therapy so it is important to describe what help you need and how long for.

A further example - if you use an aid or appliance, such as a long handled sponge, for bathing, you get two points so you should not only mention using the aid, but also explain why you need to use it - you only get the points if you cannot bathe without it, not just because it makes it easier to bathe. However if you need the help of another person at any point during your bath/shower you need to mention it and again explain why it has to be a person helping and not an aid - for example, if you try to get out off your bath lift without assistance, you risk falling and you cannot have suitably placed grab rails because the partition wall isn't strong enough. If you had ever actually fallen, mention it.

A couple of final but really important points. It's not enough that you can do an activity, you must be able to do it safely (only risk to people counts, not property damage), as often as necessary (or as often as it is reasonable to do something), to an acceptable standard (which could be anything from perfect to good enough) and in a reasonable time (no more than twice as long as average). These together form the 'reliably' test. If you cannot do an activity reliably AT ANY POINT on a particular day, you cannot do the activity on that day. So, if, for more than 50% of days, you can't get dressed for two hours after you get up because of stiffness/pain, you should get points for not being able to get dressed at all.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Another issue is are you safe! Can you do your tasks safely without injury to yourself or other. Are you aware of common dangers? The list is endless. This is why I think it is now important to keep a written diary for yourself and others.

If you are reapplying for DLA/PiP and have kept records this may assist you when completing your claim form. Lastly but not least if need be get a carer to write an observation report for you....

• Haha 1

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.