Unauthorised purchases

keates
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3041 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My grandson made seventy purchase in one month from Microsoft for his XBox totalling £1,000 using the debit card details his Mum had registered when she first purchased the XBox. She didn't know this was going on until her bank statement arrived.

Barclays say they will notify you of any transactions that are 'out of character' which these definitely were but my daughter didn't receive any notifications.

Do you think she can make a claim against Barclays? I don't think Microsoft will do anything!

Any input would be very much appresicated

My grandson made seventy purchase in one month from Microsoft for his XBox totalling £1,000 using the debit card details his Mum had registered when she first purchased the XBox. She didn't know this was going on until her bank statement arrived.

Barclays say they will notify you of any transactions that are 'out of character' which these definitely were but my daughter didn't receive any notifications.

Do you think she can make a claim against Barclays? I don't think Microsoft will do anything!

Any input would be very much appresicated

thats why i get my niece and nephew the digital codes and don't have any card against the ps4 account , however i would say it very strange that it did not trigger a call from barclays i am always getting them from my bank when i buy something out of the ordinary

That's the strange thing.....my daughter also frequently receives calls from Barclays checking on 'unusual' transactions but for some reason they didn't consider seventy payments to Microsoft in one month was 'Unusual!'

Hi Keates and welcome to CAG

You now have your own thread to use.

Did the purchases put the a/c into overdraft at all, authorised or not.

How old approx is your GS.

You need to make a complaint to Barclays in writing and do not discuss this with them by phone.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Keates and welcome to CAG

You now have your own thread to use.

Did the purchases put the a/c into overdraft at all, authorised or not.

How old approx is your GS.

You need to make a complaint to Barclays in writing and do not discuss this with them by phone.

Thanks for doing that for the OP Slick...

Keates.... Can you divulge more info on your issue at hand? ...

So about 70 Microsoft transactions were made in a month to the value of £1000?

To be me it sounds like Barclays have messed up massively as they should not have permitted all of them to go through and their systems should have flagged it up.

IMHO there are grounds for a complaint.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Hi, thank you for your response. The transactions did put the account into overdraft. My grandson is 17 years old and really should have known better as has now been made very clear to him!

Hi Keates,

Was the o/draft within authorised limits or was the o/draft unauthorised.

Approx how far o/drawn was the a/c before this was noticed.

I suggest your complaint will create more impact if made by letter to Cust'r Serv's or to their London HQ.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi Keates,

Was the o/draft within authorised limits or was the o/draft unauthorised.

Approx how far o/drawn was the a/c before this was noticed.

I suggest your complaint will create more impact if made by letter to Cust'r Serv's or to their London HQ.

OR by Email to their Execs Team... As well... IF you want the emails let me know.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Hi Keates,

Re the o/draft :-

1. Approx how much was the a/c o/drawn before this was noticed.

2. Was the o/draft authorised or unauthorised.

I suggest a letter to B's Cust'r Services or to their London HQ, saying you require their written response and you won't deal with this by phone. This will have more impact and send the letter by RM Signed For delivery (but not to a PO Box address).

Hi Slick. The account was around £500 overdrawn before this was noticed. It is an agreed overdraft but it does incur charges. We'll write to the HO today and send Recorded Next Day Delivery.

Thank you for your help with this

Hang on... MAke a copy of it via Email and Send it to he following addresses, It will get done quicker. But if it is the Daughters account, due to DPA they will only deal with her unless she authoresses them to deal with you on her behalf.

[email protected] - Head Of UK Retail Banking

[email protected] - Compliance Director

[email protected] - New CEO Barlcays

These Emails are up to date - as soon as yesterday last time I checked.

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Hi Keates,

My interest in the o/draft is this - if the o/d was created and/or increasing with each payment and this was NOT a usual situation, the bank should have spotted it and contacted their customer to check if their was an issue.

My instinctive thought is that if the card details were put against the microsoft acc by the card holder then i doubt barclays will entertain it as this was done with the card holders knowledge and consent. I suspect it may become a lengthy battle.

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

I agree with the above but I do think B's had a duty to spot the more-than-twice-daily purchases which were probably "unusual" activity on the bank a/c.

I agree to a point but on one particular day there were eleven separate payments to Microsoft totalling £143.89 and when the account was already overdrawn! I think that should have prompted a call from Barclays!

The account was in credit before this happened as my daughter was holding on to the money to pay for the kids Christmas presents. The payments to Microsoft were the reason the account went into a debit situation

The account was in credit before this happened as my daughter was holding on to the money to pay for the kids Christmas presents. The payments to Microsoft were the reason the account went into a debit situation

Exactly... The point you're raising is because they failed to act appropriately and notify YD of excessive transactions....

I've fought barclays on this before when Vodafone took 3 x £300 payments in one day.

I complained was compensated and they refunded me in full due to their error

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

You want to consider using a pay as you go credit card on the games consoles. Or not register a live one.

The idea is to make the company as much money by hook or by crook. Don't do it...

As far as the bank goes you may have an issue due to the fact you willingly input your card details and therefore agreed to its use. If in doubt remove the card from the games account or get a brand new one issued and cancel any outstanding CPA'S. ..

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Exactly... The point you're raising is because they failed to act appropriately and notify YD of excessive transactions....

I've fought barclays on this before when Vodafone took 3 x £300 payments in one day.

I complained was compensated and they refunded me in full due to their error

The difference here tho is that it is a clear error as no permission was given authorising 3 payments, i still think that this will be a real struggle for the OP as her daughter has allowed her card to be used.

i also agree that the bank has some responsibility too with regards to eroneous activity on the account but as we all know they will wriggle and wriggle on that.

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Both the above points should be included in your complaint.

Keep the letter as brief and to-the-point as you can.

Hi Fkofilee & all, we have emailed the Executive Office to the contacts you suggested and have received a response saying that the complaint will be addressed as priority by a Senior Decision Maker who will be in touch shortly.

It's a start and I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for all the input!