CCTV monitoring of yellow box junctions

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3018 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yellow Box Junctions are, in general terms, a good thing. They allow traffic from minor roads access to main roads in heavy traffic. The problem that we have had in London for some years, and coming soon to the rest of the country, is where the council uses them as ‘money boxes’ to raise revenue thru CCTV. One west London junction raised £2.7m a year, and there are many others

I would like an amendment to the "Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002" requiring councils to put up signs advising drivers of CCTV monitoring of yellow box junctions – if the aim of the yellow box junction is to ensure that drivers from the monor roads can access the main road they should have no objection to this.

Please click on the link below to sign the petition

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/p/ycb

Edited by etoc2001
Added reason

This campaign asks for donations ? It might not be allowed.

Apparently donations are optional, so I will sign, because I think it is a good idea.

I would rather people donated to CAG :)

Edited by citizenB

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Sadly I shall not be supporting this.

Yellow Boxes are big enough to see and the way to avoid being caught and (Successfully prosecuted) are easy.

Do not enter them until a gap for your vehicle exists on the other side.

Why should being warned there is a CCTV watching the junction help?

This to me is more about helping people avoid enforcement than helping traffic flow and junction safety

And no, this is not on par with speed camera warning signs that are designed to make people aware the area has a high casualty rate and also to prevent rear end shunts as cars slow down for the camera.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

But if you want to increase the legitimacy of the petition, please can you explain what a "monor road" is?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I shan’t be signing it for two reasons:

i I think the proposition is ludicrous, and analogous to saying there is no warning of a camera to catch me committing an offence I should be allowed to commit it

ii I am not convinced petitioning the Honourable Luke Donnellan MP, Minister for Roads and Road Safety (an Australian member of the Australian Parliament) would have any effect on the laws of England and Wales.

In England advise is a verb (a doing word) advise/advising/advised, advice is a noun. I might ask for advice or give advice.

The same with license (verb) license/licensing/licensed, but one would have a driving licence (noun).

i I think the proposition is ludicrous, and analogous to saying there is no warning of a camera to catch me committing an offence I should be allowed to commit it

ii I am not convinced petitioning the Honourable Luke Donnellan MP, Minister for Roads and Road Safety (an Australian member of the Australian Parliament) would have any effect on the laws of England and Wales.

+1

And a bwhahahahahahaha for spotting the Aussie. Love it when people make pathetic petitions like this and just make themselves look stupid.

Sadly I think that you are right, in your second point at least :-) Apologies to Robert Goodwill MP who is the UK Minister for Roads

They allow traffic from minor roads access to main roads in heavy traffic.

if the aim of the yellow box junction is to ensure that drivers from the monor roads can access the main road they should have no objection to this.

I don't follow this.

If there is a sufficient space beyond the box, would not the vehicle with priority be expected to move, or continue moving, forward to occupy it? (Politeness apart!)

Otherwise it would be a 'free for all' within the box as vehicles having entered from differing directions compete for the limited available space just beyond it, or leaving the vehicle without priority still waiting.

I think that the law assumes the prohibition is for when traffic is stopped or stop/go. In legal terms the only way to avoid falling foul of the law, to my understanding, is to wait at the edge of the box until the lane ahead of you is clear plus your car length on the other side. How to be popular in rush hour traffic!

One yellow box junction in Redbridge brought in £317,930.30 since November 2013. I asked the council if they had considered traffic lights instead and they replied.....

"We have looked at installing signals at this junction however, it was found that it put unacceptable delays along the High Road" which is amusing to anybody who knows how slow traffic is there.

I think that the law assumes the prohibition is for when traffic is stopped or stop/go. In legal terms the only way to avoid falling foul of the law, to my understanding, is to wait at the edge of the box until the lane ahead of you is clear plus your car length on the other side. How to be popular in rush hour traffic!

What is the difference between waiting at the edge of the box and waiting (unlawfully) in the middle, apart from you are 5 metres nearer your destination? Most motorists seem to have a frontal lobotomy when passing their driving test which removes any common sense or courtesy to others.

The difference is between waiting when traffic is stopped and waiting when traffic is flowing - the law does not descriminate between them so you are obliged to stop until the car ahead has cleared the junction with enough space beyond the line for your car as well..

The difference is between waiting when traffic is stopped and waiting when traffic is flowing - the law does not descriminate between them so you are obliged to stop until the car ahead has cleared the junction with enough space beyond the line for your car as well..

The concept is exactly the same as a level crossing I'm sure you wait until there is space the other side rather than risk getting hit by several tons of locomotive at 100 mph whilst sitting in the middle of the crossing! Its a fairly simple concept if you approach a yellow box you do not enter until you are certain you will have enough space to clear the box....how hard is that?

Simple says it all. I bet you like zebra crossings, black and white and no other factors to worry about. Me - I prefer pelican crossings

Yes if someone is waiting to cross I stop, I don't need a light to force me to stop and I don't like stopping for a red light ten minutes after someone crossed just because they pushed the button.

And no, this is not on par with speed camera warning signs that are designed to make people aware the area has a high casualty rate and also to prevent rear end shunts as cars slow down for the camera.

Thanks to who ever deleted my last post. Not sure on your reasoning.

The signs are there to tell you there are speed cameras on the road, nothing about casualty rates! Car's don't actually slow down for the signs, they slow down for the cameras.

My point is, to make speed cameras completely hidden, so no one can see them, make them look like lamp posts so that no one will ever speed again. Make it the law for every car to have a black box. As soon as they're over, BAM! Ticket. The roads will be safe forever more.

Yes if someone is waiting to cross I stop, I don't need a light to force me to stop and I don't like stopping for a red light ten minutes after someone crossed just because they pushed the button.

They use Pelican crossings mainly in places of high pedestrian traffic. For example, a road near me pretty much became a car park for an hour in the morning due to the amount of school kids. Cars couldn't move. The idea of pelican crossings is to allow the pedestrians to accumulate before crossing to minimize the length of times cars have to stop.

They use Pelican crossings mainly in places of high pedestrian traffic. For example, a road near me pretty much became a car park for an hour in the morning due to the amount of school kids. Cars couldn't move. The idea of pelican crossings is to allow the pedestrians to accumulate before crossing to minimize the length of times cars have to stop.

Puffin crossings are much better

I don't mind them either, gives slower people a chance without being scared by flashing lights or a countdown. And I've heard of Toucan crossings but don't think that I've come accross one yet, but in principle I don't mind them either

I don't mind them either, gives slower people a chance without being scared by flashing lights or a countdown. And I've heard of Toucan crossings but don't think that I've come accross one yet, but in principle I don't mind them either

toucan is the same as a pelican but used by cyclists and pedestrians, 2 can use it