style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2614 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Dear all,

I have a conundrum as it seems I have encountered a slippery issue.

A hypothetical example:

A disabled person with a severe physical disfigurement (I don't have one of these in case anyone is wondering) goes into a pub. He is not readily served and often ignored by the bar staff. Whilst he is in the pub he notices that other members of the public are being readily served before him. This happens time and time again.

He raises these issues with the pub management and they allege "oh, sorry, we just didn't see you there."

The issue I face is when does poor service become direct discrimination (in this example and generally)? Further, when does the burden of proof reverse?

Section 4.5 of the Code of Practice states as follows:

"To decide whether a service provider has treated a service user ‘less favourably’, a comparison must be made with how they have treated other service users or would have treated them in similar circumstances. If the service provider’s treatment of the service user puts the service user at a clear disadvantage compared with other service users, then it is more likely that the treatment will be less favourable: for example, where a customer is refused service or a person’s membership of a club is terminated. Less favourable treatment could also involve being deprived of a choice or excluded from an opportunity. If the quality of the service being offered or the manner in which it is offered is comparatively poor, this could also amount to less favourable treatment."

Any input appreciated.

Is this in connection to your other thread TP?

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Ideally you should keep to one thread so that all the relevant information is together to get the best advice.....if you want it kept separate then you are in the wrong forum and I will have to move it ?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

The other side sent me a letter today accusing me of being 'vexatious' and still threatening to apply for costs if I do not discontinue the claim in a week. Still no defence or skeleton argument in sight - funny that.

I have to say that it would not surprise me if the Judge bends over backwards for them.

The other side sent me a letter today accusing me of being 'vexatious' and still threatening to apply for costs if I do not discontinue the claim in a week. Still no defence or skeleton argument in sight - funny that.

I have to say that it would not surprise me if the Judge bends over backwards for them.

totally-penniless they can't serve a defence unless and until your claim is allowed to proceed and you have served amended Claim form/Particulars which are capable of being defended. From what you have said they have identified a point of law that is aimed to nip your claim in the bud. That point of law will be in their skeleton argument. If you come up with a real answer to said point of law then you could possibly file and serve a draft amended claim form/Particulars. But some difficult law first has to be dealt with.

I believe those points of law are most elusive. I am going to amend my particulars but only to make sure that every possible gap is filled.

The only reason they successfully applied to get the judgement set aside in my opinion is that they argue I am not disabled (not difficult to argue that when they have not complied with the pre-action protocol). It is of course a disability discrimination case.

I suspect though that that argument is going to run out of mileage very quickly.

Dear all,

I served a Letter before Action (LBA) by way of e-mail on a registered charity and received no response (but did receive read receipts).

The address I used was correct.

The matter has now gone to a County Court.

I am concerned they may now argue that the service of the LBA was not valid

as I did not receive permission to send this document to them by e-mail.

I am not sure if Practice Direction 6A would apply:

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/family/practice_directions/pd_part_06a#IDAPGXAC

Many thanks in advance.

Don't worry about it.

Solicitors will say whatever they are paid to say

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D