Jump to content

Clueless about Working Tax Credits & Council Tax

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2160 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

I moved back into my parent's house at the start of this year which was also when I registered as self-employed.


I currently haven't been paying any council tax since I assume I have to let the council know I've moved in.



My Dad doesn't have to pay any council tax.



I have the money to pay for it but what sort of trouble can I expect to be in when I let the council know about this?


Also I've so far earned around £8k this year so I think I may be able to benefit from working tax credits.



Am I allowed to back date this benefit to the start of the year from when I registered as self-employed?



However, I also have £10k in savings so I don't know how this will effect the benefit.


Any help appreciated.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi and welcome to CAG.


I assume that your parents get full remission of the council tax so based on that, the change of circumstances should have been reported as soon as you moved back in and reported by the claimant.


Best bet is (in my opinion) be open and honest with the council and hope they don't apply a penalty for not informing them. Hopefully, they will do a redetermination and apply the changes and as you are an adult non dependant, they will reduce the amount of benefit by a fixed sum based on your 'proven' earnings.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tax credits won't back date that far. I think it's a month and you'd have to have good reason for doing so.


Yes, one month.


As to the question above about savings, these are not taken into account for WTC. Any interest received on them is counted as income, but the capital itself is ignored.




The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...

Since leaving college I was on and off the dole for several years and didn't work in that time. I live with my Dad who owns the house and doesn't pay any council tax due to him being a pensioner and little savings. Then for a couple of years I came off the dole but did some chores for my grandmother to give my Dad some money for food, etc. Then last year I registered as self-employed and have started making a modest income.


I wasn't aware at the time but when I stopped claiming dole I should have informed the council then, so my Dad should have had to start paying council tax. When I first registered as self-employed I wasn't sure if I would have to go back on the dole so initially I didn't inform the council of change of circumstance, and then just forgot about it until now.


The council seem to have forgotten about me as in all this time I've never heard from them. I was planning on sending the council a change of circumstance using their online form saying that I started work last year when I registered as self employed. Should I mention that I came off the dole a couple of years prior? I have the money to pay for back dated council tax, but I'm worried about if my Dad might at worst get hit with a benefit fraud arrest.


What sort of trouble can I expect when I send the change of circumstance form off? Any other advice?

Link to post
Share on other sites

i'll merge you old thread on this



if your parents are paying it or get it paid via benefits etc

you don't have to pay CTAX

its by property not by person.AFAIK

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he'll have to pay some council tax as explained here.





My issue now is that I'm unsure what I'll face when I do submit my change of circumstance. I think I should just come clean and also include when I stopped receiving job seekers allowance, but it looks very bad since this is all 5 years later than I should have informed them. :|

Link to post
Share on other sites

YOU are not liable for council tax, your parents are until they inform the council that someone else is living at their address and is also liable. What happened 5 years ago is of no relevance to the council as you were at another address.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...