Should battery tools be PAT tested

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3038 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Friend is a handyman for a charity. He uses his own tools which are battery powered and charged at home. The charity asked handymen to take all electric tools for PAT testing but because they're battery operated my friend didn't realise his needed testing and didn't attend.

I suspect the charity want to cover themselves in case of a problem and a potential H&S issue or claim, so said the chargers should have been tested but as they're only used at home it just didn't cross his mind he needed to and now he's been told he can't work until they're done. Zero hour contract and minimal hours, but is the charity right or my friend?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Your friend is correct. Portable equipment only needs to be PAT tested if it connects to a fixed installation, i.e: it draws its power from a fixed socket, whether the plug is BS1363, 110v or even 3 phase.

As your friend is not connecting to the charity's fixed power installation, no PAT testing is needed.

I would say they are protecting themselves H&S wise which is understandable.

This link explains more: http://www.pat.org.uk/what-needs-to-be-pat-tested/

From Second Paragraph of above link:

This can include items such as electric drills, monitors, printers, PCs, kettles and larger items like photocopiers, vending machines and others. So a cordless power tool would not need to be PAT tested but their battery chargers that plug into the wall for power do need to be tested. You should note that there are larger items that seem stationary but still require PAT testing. For instance, a heated towel rail or built-in dishwasher may seem like a fixed appliance but for testing purposes, they still qualify as portable because they plug into a power source.

Edited by stu007

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Your friend is correct. Portable equipment only needs to be PAT tested if it connects to a fixed installation, i.e: it draws its power from a fixed socket, whether the plug is BS1363, 110v or even 3 phase.

As your friend is not connecting to the charity's fixed power installation, no PAT testing is needed.

Thanks crappoman. He's meeting the manager later in the week so could you point to any regs he can refer to please?

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

they are probably unaware he does not carry the chargers or use them during contracted hours to them when doing work for them.

i'e he exposes other to potential dangers

simplest way is to offer the charges up for testing.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

they are probably unaware he does not carry the chargers or use them during contracted hours to them when doing work for them.

i'e he exposes other to potential dangers

simplest way is to offer the charges up for testing.

dx

That's not a problem, but the manager's attitude is, so would be good to have a robust response.

Could it be they are looking for a way to dispense with his services and finding excuses where excuses doesn't exist.

Let's just say that there issues with a number of handymen. You may just have hit the nail on the head (no pun intended).

Hold on if the handyman requires this piece of equipment to carry out there job why haven't the charity provided it.

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Hold on if the handyman requires this piece of equipment to carry out there job why haven't the charity provided it.

You may well ask but as a tradesman he's always had his own tools and used them. The charity have always paid for things like drill bits, but most stuff has been his own and it wasn't an issue and tools willingly used. This has never been a job to make money and goodwill is now being stretched to the max.

I would say they are protecting themselves H&S wise which is understandable.

This link explains more: http://www.pat.org.uk/what-needs-to-be-pat-tested/

From Second Paragraph of above link:

This can include items such as electric drills, monitors, printers, PCs, kettles and larger items like photocopiers, vending machines and others. So a cordless power tool would not need to be PAT tested but their battery chargers that plug into the wall for power do need to be tested. You should note that there are larger items that seem stationary but still require PAT testing. For instance, a heated towel rail or built-in dishwasher may seem like a fixed appliance but for testing purposes, they still qualify as portable because they plug into a power source.

Only just noticed this stu. I agree they're trying to cover themselves but as stated, neither the charity or clients power sources are used.

Thanks for the link :)

Only just noticed this stu. I agree they're trying to cover themselves but as stated, neither the charity or clients power sources are used.

Thanks for the link :)

They've never required laptop or printer used for work that's emailed and printed (own equipment used at home) to be tested. :-/

Phone charger .......... ?

Ah that is the issue as this is personal equipment not the charities (if it was it would have to be pat tested) and if they are working in or near the public with this equipment public liability insurance kicks in and it may contain clauses which the charity is covering itself for as well as H&S.

As for the mobile phone that would depend on the companies mobile phone policy.

As for the mobile phone that would depend on the companies mobile phone policy.

I'd be surprised if they've ever shared this with the handymen.

what's the objection to having stuff tested? surely he benefits from knowing it is safe?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

The objection is to getting hauled over the coals for not attending the testing and being prevented from working/earning until it can be done. Other tools have been tested previously which are no longer in use for the type of work done, but in 10 years of employment and annual testing, it's the first time battery packs have been mentioned.

Probably because like most charities, they are just money grabbers. Most are set up to make a big fat profit and cash in on pensioners giving their time free.

The objection is to getting hauled over the coals for not attending the testing and being prevented from working/earning until it can be done. Other tools have been tested previously which are no longer in use for the type of work done, but in 10 years of employment and annual testing, it's the first time battery packs have been mentioned.

So he was asked to do a resonable thing and he didn't do it and now is annoyed?

This is so easily fixed by just getting stuff tested - some pragmatism would be in order.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Probably because like most charities, they are just money grabbers. Most are set up to make a big fat profit and cash in on pensioners giving their time free.

I think the friend is a self employed sparkie getting paid.....

Just to throw another spanner in the works, the PAT test applies to portable equipment used at a particular site or with a particular employer so theoretically he should have everything retetsed when he goes to another job. In reality pragmatism should apply and the charger should be tested annually. Problem there is being double insulated it wont register earth leakage etc correctly on test anyway. If he is IEE accredited he will be able to sign off his own stuff so it looks as though it is a matter of poor communication between him and the charity.

Tell me, why the hell should he have his charger tested to the charities satisfaction when the charger never enters their premises ?

Why don't they insist his mobile phone charger is tested too, you know, the one he uses at home and and leaves at home when he goes to work ?

Tell me, why the hell should he have his charger tested to the charities satisfaction when the charger never enters their premises ?

Why don't they insist his mobile phone charger is tested too, you know, the one he uses at home and and leaves at home when he goes to work ?

because it is a requirement of the orgnisation which pays him. He who pays the piper....

he has the choice of not working for them, of course

You seem disproportionatley angry on his behalf....?