ESA Reassesment after 2 year deferral?

bigissue
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2941 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In spring 2013 I was put in the Support Group for 1 year. The following year when I was due to be reassesed they announced the 2 year deferrment and I haven't heard anything since from them. If the 2 year deferment period is correct I should get a new ESA form in the new year. Has anyone else who was deferred for 2 years been sent an ESA 50 yet?

I am worried about how the system has changed in recent years and have no idea which company is currently conducting the assesments in the Glasgow area or how they are, are they better than ATOS?

I want to try and enjoy the festive period as much as I can whiich isn't always easy when you are ill but It is unpleasent to have these worries about big envelopes back on my mind :(

So far as I am aware, reassessments have restarted but there is still an enormous backlog which does vary according to area.

Assessments are now carried out by Maximus, though I've not seen much about how good or bad they are. One thing they do seem to do, and which can be challenged, is send WCA appointments without getting a new ESA50.

I would suggest that how long you are likely to wait to be reassessed, even if you're told about it (they can just put you straight back in the support group from your file), is about the same length as a piece of string, so best to try to forget about it until the envelope does land on the door mat, though I do know exactly what you mean about them causing worries - my reassessment is due next Feb, but I sill have nightmares about the envelopes from last time around!

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Thank you for getting back to me and your take on things. I will just try and relax until it happens as you say I don't want it to be a total shock when it happens though if the whole process didn't cause so much misery it wouldn't be so nerve wracking!

I was last assessed in 2011 and given 2 years in the support group so was due to be reassessed in Dec 2013, but must have been one of the first to be postponed for the 2 years. It's now December 2015 and I've been expecting an ESA50 form but no sign of it yet.

It was a nightmare in 2011 getting that form done as I was suffering from really bad flu when it came and I was unwell for over three weeks so only had a week to complete it and get it sent off. This time I'm ready for it, I downloaded the form and over the last month have been forming my response so it'll just be a case of copying it in.

It's always a horrible time waiting for the brown envelope but this time of year it seems worse what with my birthday in a few days and then the stress of Christmas, and worrying about them getting it in time with postal delays etc.

As yours is due in the spring please try and enjoy the Christmas period. Maybe you could download the form and do some work on it early in the New Year so you are prepared.

Good idea to start filling in the form in advance, also you could do diary sheets and/or collect up any evidence you have so everything is all neat and tidy and ready to photocopy when the form does arrive.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

I'm hoping that they leave support group people alone for a while yet, but I suppose we can all expect to see the envelope on the mat soon.

Yes, I think they may leave the support group for a while as it's now obvious they were working on removing a whole tier of claimants (wrag) getting sickness benefits, so maybe they will prioritise those.

I'm the same as others, it's the stress of not knowing where you are in terms of reassessment that really gets to me and the process of going through it even though I am as prepared as I can be. It really makes me unwell with crippling anxiety apart from my other health issues.

It's like a cruel and unusual punishment for the crime of being disabled.

[quote=Unforgiven;4830368

It's like a cruel and unusual punishment for the crime of being disabled.

My husband said exactly that at lunchtime - we're currently going through the DLA to PIP thing which has stressed me out so much a flare put me in hospital.

RMW

So it looks like the deferrment period has ended and they are starting to reasses people from the new year. Not really what I wanted to hear to be honest but at least now I can start mentally preparing. Not sure what else I can do to prepare as my condition hasn't really got worse but it isn't any better.

Lots of speculation online if the will leave people in the support group alone for the time being and focus on those in the wrag. Not sure about that really I'm in the support group myself so perhaps it is just wishful thinking on my part that they will leave me alone a bit longer. I just like to many of us really let the whole process get to me and I find it hard to just put it out my mind and focus on other things when I know it is coming up.

Perhaps the new provides doing the assessments will be better and fairer but I don't think so, it will be if they can find any reason at all to remove you from the benefit they will.

If support group claiments are going to be reassessed again I should be amongst the first to get a letter so I will let you all know if I recive anything.

• 1 month later...
Guest Miss Anxious

I am in the same boat and was deferred from January 2014. My assessment is due from April 2015. In the meantime my "advisor" fro the job centre has been ringing me approximately every 6 months. So far they have been really nice to me.

However, is still does not take away the worry....I wake every morning feeling sick, like I'm off the the dentist! Also I want to move back South and I have that worry too as house swapping is a nightmare...

I just wish all of us the very best of luck, it's easy to say not to worry, easier said than done......

I am in Glasgow and was given the 2 year deferral.I am to be reassessed march next year and they said they would contact me december this year so they are sending out the form 3 months early,hopefully as someone said they will leave support group alone and it will be even later.

Miss Anxious I am due around the same time as you if the 2 year deferral holds true. It is awful the waiting and not knowing as well as the ordeal of having to go though it. The thing is some areas are supposedly still backed up and looking online while more people are being referred for reassessment it isn't tons of people. It does however seem to include people in the Support Group so that is not going to protect us, it will just come down to luck and where you are based.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Miss Anxious

Bigissue

That's awful news about your form being sent as I have been secretly hoping I will be left alone. I've got all my hospital letters waiting to be photocopied. I might even start doing it now, in preparation.

I would like to work but feel I'm not reliable enough and would end up being sacked, so what's the point.......I'm sick with worry.

They in this area North west are super efficient to, from starting my latest claim for ESA to assessment date (audio recorded) it hasn't taken them 13weeks ,So either they have killed off most of the sick & disabled in this part of the country or they have a lot more staff than ATOS did, Maybe they are doing their reports in advance of us attending their fascicle WCA's now?

Bigissue

That's awful news about your form being sent as I have been secretly hoping I will be left alone. I've got all my hospital letters waiting to be photocopied. I might even start doing it now, in preparation.

I would like to work but feel I'm not reliable enough and would end up being sacked, so what's the point.......I'm sick with worry.

You never know perhaps you will be ok, my last assessment was in 2013 so they may feel I am due a reassessment. It might not be such a bad idea to start getting ready for the assessment at your own pace. They only give you about four weeks to fill in the form and for people with health conditions it really isnt long enough. The stress of this has made my health much worse over the past month and it was a real struggle to find time when I was well enough to work on the form. It really hit me this time just how degrading the whole ESA process is. I have just posted my form back and will need to focus on recovering from the experience.

Like you Miss Anxious I would like to work but I am ill so often that no employer would have me and even if they did work would make my condition much worse.

Guest Miss Anxious

Well the form arrived on Friday, well timed to worry me all weekend..... Yesterday I spent all day in bed filling the form out on my laptop, saving as I went in case I lost my internet connection, and losing all that I'd typed. I could not fill out the form writing as I'm shaking so much.My alcohol consumption has shot up.It took me 9 hours to do it, and now I'm in the library, where I printed it all off. I'm going to the post office now to record the delivery, as the last thing I need is for it to ;get lost in the post! I've heard that ATOS often lost the forms. Please God, help me.......will let you know the outcome.How do they let you know the outcome?....Does anyone know, as I can't remember how I found out the last time.Thanks big issue for your help.Miss A.

Edited by Miss Anxious
spelling errors

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Miss Anxious

I am still waiting for a decision, although it's only been 8 days since they received my ESA50 and supporting evidence.

I am in the East Midlands, does anyone know if Maximus, or whoever are doing the assessments are fairer? Or, is it the same as ATOS, to tell everyone they are fit, and hope they don't all appeal?

I don't know if I could go through an appeal without help, and all I know is, if I get 0 points I ask for a mandatory reconsideration.

Miss anxious