You couldn't make this up!!

silverfox1961
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3008 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yesterday, I received a renewal form for my driving licence photocard. Nothing unusual in that you would think.

Wrong!

The reason they want to issue a new card (apart from the revenue) is that they need an updated photo however, if you have a current passport, you can use the online service and they will get your photo and signature from your passport.

What if you got an updated passport 9 years ago? The photo will be much the same as your driving licence from 10 years ago but that doesn't matter to the DVLA,

I'm still trying to get my head around that!

As it happens, I only updated my passport two years ago.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Money making racket....they will never get me onto a driving licence photocard:madgrin:

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I renewed my license completely on line and it includes sending them a picture via the site. There is a photo booth type machine in our local Post Office where you insert your old driving license into a one of the two slots, your debit card into the other and out pops a new driving license all registered with the DVLA.

Yesterday, I received a renewal form for my driving licence photocard. Nothing unusual in that you would think.

Wrong!

The reason they want to issue a new card (apart from the revenue) is that they need an updated photo however, if you have a current passport, you can use the online service and they will get your photo and signature from your passport.

What if you got an updated passport 9 years ago? The photo will be much the same as your driving licence from 10 years ago but that doesn't matter to the DVLA,

I'm still trying to get my head around that!

As it happens, I only updated my passport two years ago.

I had this, pretty much exactly as you described, my passport was like 9 years and 3 months old, the picture was all but 10 months newer than my license pic, i think its funny that when i am 45 my licence picture will be that of a 26 year old, yet perfectly legal, weird huh.

Don't it just happen if you change your address..

I'm not intending to move anywhere:razz:

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

My current passport is for more than 10 years (I got the overlap periods transferred forward).

Being over 70, I have to renew the photocard every 3 years.

So they will potentially use the same passport photo 4 times!

Money making racket....they will never get me onto a driving licence photocard:madgrin:

Me neither

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

You obviously plan to give up driving when you reach your 70th Birthday then?

No ...because it will be free at the age of 70:-)

" When you reach the age of 70 you always have to re-apply for a driving licence – that’s what the law requires, I’m afraid. As long as you have no health issues, there should be no problem in getting a replacement and the good news is that once you reach the age of 70 renewals are free."

http://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/money/spending/consumer-rights/driving-a-hard-bargain.aspx

No ...because it will be free at the age of 70:-)

" When you reach the age of 70 you always have to re-apply for a driving licence – that’s what the law requires, I’m afraid. As long as you have no health issues, there should be no problem in getting a replacement and the good news is that once you reach the age of 70 renewals are free."

http://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/money/spending/consumer-rights/driving-a-hard-bargain.aspx

Unfortunately you have failed to read your own quoted website! 4th paragraph of Check your licence is still valid

Holders of the old-style paper licences can keep them until they turn 70, unless their details change in the meantime, in which case the old licence will be replaced with a new photo-licence carrying the new details. Everyone has to renew their licence – and will receive a photo licence if they haven’t had one before – when they turn 70, even if their details haven’t changed

In any case, the role out of recalling all paper licences to replace with photocards will thwart your aims.

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

I renewed my license completely on line and it includes sending them a picture via the site. There is a photo booth type machine in our local Post Office where you insert your old driving license into a one of the two slots, your debit card into the other and out pops a new driving license all registered with the DVLA.

So they do get some things right then ?

I thought you automatically got signed up to a photocard licence when you had to reapply at 70 years ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Unfortunately you have failed to read your own quoted website! 4th paragraph of Check your licence is still valid

Holders of the old-style paper licences can keep them until they turn 70, unless their details change in the meantime, in which case the old licence will be replaced with a new photo-licence carrying the new details. Everyone has to renew their licence – and will receive a photo licence if they haven’t had one before – when they turn 70, even if their details haven’t changed

In any case, the role out of recalling all paper licences to replace with photocards will thwart your aims.

I have not failed to read it at all...no problem with switching at 70 as it will be free...which is what this thread is all about...and no doubt by the time I reach 70 it will have been replaced again by either fingerprint validation or eye rettner verification:-)

There may even be remote sat nav controlled cars by then and no one will a license 😀

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Well, I did the application online and I have to say, it was almost pain free.

The registration process took longer than the actual application.

£14 instead of £17 is a (small) bonus.

What they do say is to cut your driving licence in half and post it back to them. I will do so once I get my replacement and have double checked the details are correct. I just hope they don't hold back the new licence until they get the old one.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

What they do say is to cut your driving licence in half and post it back to them. I will do so once I get my replacement and have double checked the details are correct. I just hope they don't hold back the new licence until they get the old one.

Mine was received without them receiving the old one cut in half. I have my fathers driving license from when they were first issued and intend to add mine to it and pass it on down the line.

It's part of family history and of interest.

I think that is a good move, SF - I think there have been a couple of people who have reported significant

discrepancies on their replacement document and DVLA say they aren't able to check as they don't keep the old stuff once they issue the new !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

DVLA say they aren't able to check as they don't keep the old stuff once they issue the new

And I have heard they will not accept photocopies of the old one (that was sent back) as proof of entitlements they failed to carry forward to the new one!

• 1 month later...

Just noticed something from my new driving licence. Bear with me.

My old licence expires on 20/01/2016. My new licence started on 03/12/2015 and expires on 02/01/2025.

I was under the assumption that these were 10 year driving licences when in actual fact my new licence is for 9 years 10 months and 12 days.

I paid for a 10 year licence so where is my partial refund?

A question for the DVLA methinks :-)

Does it coincide with your 70th birthday, SF ?

BCOBS

Does it coincide with your 70th birthday, SF ?

Nope! I am 54 now and my birthday is certainly not in January.

Just spotted this from the DVLA

Your new licence will be valid from the date your application is approved, not from the expiry date of your current licence.

next time I will apply a bit later.

Nope! I am 54 now and my birthday is certainly not in January.

I would raise this with the DVLA then SF. As you will have to apply for another licence after 10 years then you will need to apply before this one ends. If they use the same process then you are likely to lose another couple of months ?

Can I ask why you have one of the new licences when the old one would have lasted until you were 70 anyway ?

BCOBS

OH just checked his to see if was the same.. however his is only for 3 years as he is 70.

BCOBS