forced to pay for damage on rental car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3069 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I rented a car from Green motion over the weekend. Upon returning the car, it was discovered there was a small scratch (no more than 2mm in diameter) at the rear end of the car. I did not cause the damage but I didn’t spot it when I got the car (it was really very small and probably near impossible to see in broad daylight). However, the guy at the car rental place managed to spot it in a late evening with a torch.

Long story short, I disputed without avail paid for the damage but now I feel that I have been set up. It is as if the rental place knew exactly where to look.

The cost is £320 which seems excessive.

Now I’m considering my options.

I can contact the rental place and start a complaint (which I have done already outlining what I’ve said above). In the best case scenario they will refund me (unlikely as I’ve paid!) in the not as good scenario they may refund me partially. Do I have a case here?

I also have an excess insurance with a third party – however I’m not sure if it is covered under accidental damage as I do not know the precise time of when/where the scratch occurred. There’s a chance that it might have been there when I rented the car and I didn’t spot it. So I’m not sure what I put in the particulars of incident in the claim form.

I feel I have been penalised by something that is not my fault. Bottom line is I just wanted to get my money back. Any advice would be appreciated.

-

You should have asked for a breakdown in costs, and got them to give you a quote from 3 different body repair shops. Most of the time, these small marks don't get repaired, and they just keep the money instead. Ask for proof that the vehicle has been repaired. Go along to the place if you have to and check that the work has been done.