Ex partner wants me off the deeds

dee84
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3062 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello,

My current situation is

my ex partner wants me to come off the house deeds for a 6 thousand pound payment to my mother.

we purchased the house together with help from my mother and his family relative.

he is saying we get the house valued and any money we would be due to split 50/50 he wants his sisters money,

money he invested into doing the house up and will give my mum 6 k and then I will come off the deeds.

This seems like I am losing out massively as he will have the whole house for 6k and also all his debt paid off, leaving me with nothing.

any help on this is appreciated as it doesn't semi fair and he is trying to rush this through.

he is pretty scary to stand up to so trying to know my rights really.

thank you

You may be entitled to a bigger share so that makes sense not to remove your name. Has the property been valued recently?

Can you please provide more history. Like what your contributions were and so on..

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Does he intend to stay in the property ?

How long did you contribute to the mortgage ?

IMHO, the house should be valued by at least 3 agencies - so you obtain a fair valuation.

Your Mother and the Sister should have their contributions returned.

Then you need to sit down and talk about a fair split of the equity.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thank you for your replies, when we purchased the property we borrowed 15k off his family member and 9k off mine, I work part time as we have children which I stayed home to look after, and was putting 500 into the bills whilst he was putting 600 in.. he was paying the borrowed money back.

I've made arrangements for the property to be valued.

he intends to stay and do it up then sell it I believe.

I would consider whether or not having a huge financial tie to this could end up being a lead weight around your neck at sometime. Maybe consider does he have the authority to sell it from under you at all?

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

The starting point is to work out how much of the equity you believe belongs to you.

Do you remember whether the property was registered as a 'joint tenancy' or 'tenancy in common'? If not, it was probably done as a 'joint tenancy', in which case your fair share of the property would be 50%.

He can't sell from underneath you, as you'd both need to approve any sale, so don't feel rushed into anything you aren't happy with.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The OP can get a s.14 order ToLATA 1996 to stay in the property as can he mother. It will also depend on the reason for JT in the first place as to whether a judge will order a sale given the land protects other interests, ie people who have proprietary interests. It would be foolish if the op were to do what her ex husband is asking her to do. Her mother's interest should be protected too.

The Op already has the right to live in the property as she is a co-owner, so I don't think it is necessary for the Op to apply for a court order.

If anyone were to apply for a court order under TOLATA I would have thought it would be the partner, as he is the one who wants to sell the property, but absent a court order he cannot sell without the Op's consent.

If the property is to be sold, it would be more sensible for the Op and her partner to agree on how the equity should be split, reflecting the contribution of both sides to the deposit and mortgage repayments, it sounds like this would end up roughly 50/50.

I don't think the mother has an interest in the property. Money provided by a parent is usually deemed to be a gift, unless there is evidence to the contrary, under the presumption of advancement. Also, it sounds like the property was bought with a mortgage. These days lenders verify the source of funds for the deposit as part of their anti money laundering checks. If part of the deposit has been gifted by a third party such as a parent, the parent will be required to sign a letter confirming that the money is a gift and disclaiming any interest in the property.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS