Illegal eviction question

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3064 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was recently illegally evicted from my landlord, with immediate effect.

He's refusing to give me my deposit back or my unspent rent.

Assuming I can prove in the small claims court that I was illegally evicted, can I sue him not only for the above, but also for the distress he caused?

Thanks,

Jeff

If it was a truly illegal eviction that is a criminal offense.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

What type of Tenancy did you have?

I don't know. Hopefully my tenancy agreement will still be in my old room when I go back next week to collect the rest of my stuff.Did LL live in same building?

Yes.Why do you think LL 'illegally evicted' you?

There's no think about it - he did. :)He originally threatened to change the locks and throw my stuff out. When I phoned the police and they confirmed that would be illegal, he downgraded his response to merely threatening to make my life hell if I stayed.Did you do anything ro warrant summary eviction?

No. I told him that my last rent would come out of my deposit, which was a bit cheeky, but not deserving of such a response.Sounds like you may have been a lodger, not a Tenant,

I had a tenancy agreement and was paying him monthly rent, so I'd say I was a tenant.Jeff

did the LL live in the same property?

Why do you think it was an illegal eviction?

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

ok you answered above while I was typing.

On the face of it, with the LL living in the property you would be an excluded occupier

You would now have an uphill struggle to prove that you had a tenancy and not a lodging agreement.

You will need to look to see of your agreement grants things that make it a de facto tenancy.

If you upload your agreement (Remove all personal details) people may be able to help you

http://www.spareroom.co.uk/content/info-flatsharing/rights-for-renters-for-tenants-and-lodgers

Edited by SabreSheep
link added