Holiday pay not tallying with regular hours

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2955 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not a complaint so much as a query.

I work 12 hour night shifts and recently took three weeks off as I couldnt get paternity leave.

Now usually my shifts pay rate is ten hours of my 12 are paid at normal time and the last two hours are time and a half.

But on checking my wage slips for when Im off instead of being paid my usual 40 hours standard and 8 hours at overtime which is what I get every week, Ive been paid 40 hours standard and no sign of of the 2 hours per shift at overtime rate.

When I ask Im told its standard company procedure to not pay the last 2 hours of my normal shift when Im on holidays as its paid as overtime.

When I point out my contract is 48 hours, 4 12 hour shifts Im told its irrelevant and thats just what the company does.

This sounds iffy to me and Im down by 8 hours at £10.85 at hour for three weeks straight because of it which adds up pretty quickly!

Do you happen to be a security guard? My ex's employers tried to underpay him each time he took a holiday, he would lose 50% of his pay. We ended up at a tribunal which we won. Best to go through your contract and take advice from ACAS.

Why couldn't you get paternity leave? Isn't it a statutory right?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

This is actually a very complex legal area.

How is the overtime arranged? Is it compulsory and guaranteed (ie does it have to be available when you want it, and do you have to accept it when offered) or is it not guaranteed or is it purely voluntary?

It's not actually overtime. Our shifts are 4 12 hour shifts. The last two hours of which are paid at time and a half, I've no idea why.

So when I took a regular slot off it just seemed off that they took the higher paid hours away. It's a big hit to take in a single week.

My gut instinct is that it's a ploy to discourage the taking of more than a day or two of holiday at a time.

And I couldn't get paternity as I started three weeks too late on the qualifying period for it.

I think I can add some clarity.

From what I can work out the OP gets paid 2 hours of each shift at a Higher amount.

In this case overtime is not an accurate word to describe it and is prob confusing matters.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

it seems the term overtime is being misapplied. If you are contracted for 48 hours, then those 8 hours are at a Premium rate"

Your contract should be the king here, not what that have chosen to put premiums on the payslip as

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

The basic position in the scenario you describe is that your employer should pay you for the actual hours worked and take home pay received. You should not be at a financial disadvantage for taking annual leave.

Shift premiums and compulsory overtime do need to be taken into account, so it doesn't matter too much how they choose to label it, the likely fact is that you should be paid for the 48 hour equivalent pay when taking a week of leave. Your employer can't choose to opt out of that by saying its "company policy"!

A formal grievance is the way to go. If you're entitled to pay, and there has been a series of under payments for holiday pay, you could claim up to two years back pay.

• 3 months later...

Well Im back in for 4 days tonight, then 4 off, then I have another 4 days of holiday while I attend a motorbike rally in belgium.

Im going to be interested to see if I end up with the same deductions for these holidays or if the other situation was merely an oversight. Time will tell.