Surge in car clamping after tax disc change

Michael Browne
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3023 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Nearly 100,000 cars have been clamped or towed away by the DVLA following the removal of paper tax discs last October, with some drivers facing fines of more than £800.

In July, 10,554 vehicles were clamped, up by 87% compared with the same month in 2014.

Release fees start at £100, but double within 24 hours, and errant motorists may also have to pay storage fees running into hundreds of pounds. Drivers must also pay a £160 surety, which is returned once they have correctly taxed their vehicle.

What is catching out many motorists is that vehicle excise duty is automatically cancelled if a car changes ownership.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2015/nov/20/car-clamping-paper-tax-disc-dvla

Its been widely published about the change. I managed to buy a car and tax it and drive it away with no problem. I'm sorry, but ignorance is no defense. Unfortunately, some people require their hand to be held at all times instead of thinking for themselves. Yes, a portion of the above will be genuine mistakes, but a larger portion will people who are just unable to jot "tax due" on their calender's. Its not rocket science.

And if you are buying a car, then surely you would be logging onto the DVLA website and checking what needs to be done.

They even brought out a handy little buying and selling leaflet.

http://www.bvrla.co.uk/sites/default/files/documents/buying-selling_faqs.pdf

I was outside washing my car a couple of months ago when a transit van cruised past. I noticed cameras mounted on the roof at the rear, facing downwards and outwards. The van bore insignia, can't remember it exactly, but it indicated that it was from VOSA and was scanning for untaxed cars.

And this was in a residential Close!

Not everyone owns a computer and will likely have to find a cyber café - use the public library or have a friend/family log on for them.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Not everyone owns a computer and will likely have to find a cyber café - use the public library or have a friend/family log on for them.

There are other methods such as the Post Office although you will need to take your MOT and Insurance certificate with you.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax

There are other methods such as the Post Office although you will need to take your MOT and Insurance certificate with you.

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax

:thumb:

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Um yes, that is what the whole post is about. Clamping. You cant clamp a moving car.

It's the VOSA/DVLA vehicle that's moving! By cruising round with their vans, they select their victims!

Go and troll somewhere else!

It's the VOSA/DVLA vehicle that's moving! By cruising round with their vans, they select their victims!

Go and troll somewhere else!

Um...yes, how did you think it worked?. They pic up a car on anpr without tax and they clamp it. Im still not sure why you needed to say it though. Its what clamping is. A man and a clamp does not just appear out of thin air next to an untaxed car. And i am certainly not trolling. Just curious as to why you posted what you did.

Um...yes, how did you think it worked?. They pic up a car on anpr without tax and they clamp it. Im still not sure why you needed to say it though. Its what clamping is. A man and a clamp does not just appear out of thin air next to an untaxed car. And i am certainly not trolling. Just curious as to why you posted what you did.

They send round the clamping truck having identified an untaxed car! They can do that within seconds!And Yes! They do move quick when it suits them!

It's not rocket science! Any further posts on this subject will be ignored! As I said troll somewhere else!

They send round the clamping truck having identified an untaxed car! They can do that within seconds!And Yes! They do move quick when it suits them!

It's not rocket science! Any further posts on this subject will be ignored! As I said troll somewhere else!

Clamping truck? The van that scans the plates has the clamps in it and it clamps the cars. They dont send a truck unless they are lifting the car.

Yes, really, its not rocket science.

• 1 month later...

apparently its unlawful to remove a dvla clamp from a car, however its not unlawful to remove a car from the clamp! after all its your car if you want to undo what is necessary to release it where is the law to stop you providing you don't damage the clamp