• Tweets

• No, do the section 75 chargeback to your credit card provider.
    • See what dx thinks but it seems to me that sending a photo of your own pass isn't relevant to what happened. Let's wait and see what he says. HB
    • 1st letter image.pdf1st letter 2nd page.pdf
    • Many thanks for the replies and advice!   I what to send this email to the Starbucks CEO and the area manager. Your thoughts would be appreciated.   [email protected] [email protected]   Re: MET Parking PNC at your Starbucks Southgate site   Dear Ms Rayner, / Dear Heather Christie,   I have received a Notice to Keeper regarding a Parking Charge Notice of £100 for the driver parking in the Southgate Park Car Park, otherwise infamously known as the Stanstead Starbucks/McDonalds car park(s).   Issued by: MET Parking Services Ltd Parking Charge Notice Number: XXXXXXXXX Vehicle Registration Number: XXXX XXX Date of Contravention: XX.XX.XXXX Time: XX:XX - XX:XX   After a little research it apears that the driver is not alone in being caught in what is commonly described as a scam, and has featured in the national press and on the mainstream television.   It is a shame that the reputation of Starbucks is being tarnished by this, with your customers leaving the lowest possible reviews on Trustpilot and Trip Advisor at this location, and to be associated with what on the face of it appears to be a doubious and predatory car park management company.   In this instance, during the early hours of the morning the driver required a coffee and parked up outside Starbucks with the intention of purchasing one from yourselves. Unfortunately, you were closed so the driver walked to McDonalds next door and ordered a coffee, and for this I have received the Notice to Keeper.   It is claimed that the car park is two separate car parks (Starbucks/McDonalds). However, there is no barrier or road markings to identity a boundary, and the signage in the car park(s) and outside your property is ambiguous, as such the terms would most likely be deemed unfair and unenforcable under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.   I understand that Starbucks-Euro Garages neither operate or benefit from the charges imposed by MET Parking. However, MET Parking is your client.   Additionally, I understand that the charge amount of £100 had previously been upheld in court due to a ‘legitimate interest in making sure that a car park was run as efficiently as possible to benefit other drivers as well as the local stores, keeping cars from overstaying’.   However, this is not applicable when the shop or store is closed (as was the case here), as there is no legitimate interest. Therefore, the amount demanded is a penalty and is punitive, again contravening the Consumer Rights Act 2015.   As the driver’s intention of the visit was genuine, I would be grateful if you could please instruct your client to cancel this Notice to Keeper/Parking Charge Notice.   Kind regards
    • I received the promised call back from the Saga man today who informed me that the undertakers have decreed it IS a modification and they will need to recalculate a quote individually for me. However it all sounds very arbitrary. The more I think about it, and with help from forum replies, the more I am sure that it is not a modification. If for example the original seatback had become damaged by a spillage or a tear, I would be entitled to replace it with the nearest available part. The problem is when it comes to a payout after an accident, there is no telling what an individual insurer will decide when he notices the change. I am still undecided which of the two best routes to go with, either don't mention the replacement at all, or fill in the quote form without mentioning, and when it comes to buying the insurance over the phone, mention it at the time.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Hotpoint Tumble dryer safety issue

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2879 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Thankyou so much for your well intentioned removal but its not my personal number its one for HOTPOINT.

Apologies for that. I checked the number out first and couldn't find it on the net so assumed that it was yours. At least I'm only wrong once a day :oops:

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi, I would like some advise on this please, my daughter has one of the affected dryers I have been in contact with them and registered the appliance 5wks ago so far no reply from them, however I contacted them by phone this Monday gone 1st agent said it was not one of the faulty appliances it clearly is though, 2nd phone call made & was agreed it was a faulty one, I asked for a Supervisor this time. The problem I have is this was bought from Very last April 2015 on buy now pay 12months later so is still under guarantee & not paid for as yet, very refusing to take it back without an uplift code & Hotpoint do not give out uplift codes.... been going round in circles with this all week, my daughter is a single parent with 2 young children and is scared of using it at all!

Hi

I can sympathise a little with Hotpoint but only a little. They have had thousands of these machines sold so obviously it is going to take time to sort everyone out but that is not your problem.

Nobody can say your daughters machine will be fine but in my case, so long as I cleaned the filter out every time I tumbled, this did help with the risk of fire and I did stay within a reasonable distance from the machine to make sure that there was no smoke and all was fine.

The reason Hotpoint won't give Very an uplift code is that they want to ensure the procedure is followed properly.

All I can suggest she does (without liability) is to use the machine under observation and keep banging on at Hotpoint to get a move on. I know the fires are highlighted in the press but they are still very few based on the amount of sales. Not much help I know but at the moment it is all anyone can advise

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Many thanks, will try Hotpoint again, Twitter produced no result but will have a try with FB. If we could just get a date for them to come it would help, just feel we are up against the 12month guarantee date. :|

Many people think that the guarantee is the be all and end all of it. Not true. The guarantee is offered "In addition to your statutory rights" The sale of Goods Act gives consumers up to 6 years to make a claim. Within the first 6 months of purchase, it will be assumed that the item was faulty from manufacture. After 6 months the onus is on the customer to prove that the fault was there from the start and this can be ascertained by getting an independant report.

In other words, don't stress over any guarantee especially as this is now part of a product recall/repair

• 1 month later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35828471?error_code=4201&error_message=User+canceled+the+Dialog+flow

More action is needed to recall Whirlpool's fire-risk tumble dryers before someone dies, according to a leading Trading Standards officer.

Last November Whirlpool - the owner of the Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda brands - said the dryers could be dangerous as they allow lint to build up against the heating element.

The company has contacted more than three million customers offering repairs or money off a replacement.

But some owners face an 11-month wait.

Leon Livermore, chief executive of the Chartered Trading Standards Institute, told 5 Live Breakfast: "The fact that Trading Standards sit within local government means they're often stretched for resources.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I registered having a faulty (condenser) model mid January, on the website.

At just under 8 weeks, I still hadn't heard anything.

Phoning the helpline : they were able to

a) give me my customer number so I could log in on the website (though they didn't tell me it had to be prefixed "ST-" !)

b) that I was due a repair, booked for ....... August (2016)

The website offered me the choice to purchase a new replacement machine : £60 for vented, £100 for condenser.

I thus had 3 main choices

1) Wait for August, only using the dryer when someone is at home, and not overnight

2) Try and argue that the dryer I purchased had an implied term of being able to be used when no-one was at home (or overnight), so was no longer fit for purpose,knowing they could argue I'd had 5 years usage....

3) Paying for a new model at the reduced rate.

Option 1 : too long a wait.

Option 2 : not sure the likelihood of success outweighed the hassle factor.

Option 3 : so, we paid full price for the first drier, and £100 for a new replacement (including delivery & taking the old one away).

If I view that as the same as paying full price for the new one, and £100 for the use for 5 years of the one they are taking away .... *

So, we now have the new dryer, and no wait until August. The newer model doesn't have just the "run for X minutes" option, but has sensor drying : no more "get home from work, discover you didn't put the dryer on forking enough..."

YMMV, especially if your dryer is a lot less than 5 years old!

* the financial calculation doesn't take into account the £200 difference spent 5 years ago, that if I'd only paid £100 then, I could have had £200 earning interest, nor the effect of inflation : but it is a good enough rule of thumb!

I do feel that in your case, you got a reasonable deal. 5 year old machine replaced for £100 (when I last looked, this particular model was over £200)

I do think this is a ploy by Hotpoint to get some money back over this fiasco Wait ages for a repair which as I understand is to replace the back panel as it has the mod on it or get a new model for £100, negating the cost of the mod which they can then do at the factory and ship out to second hand dealers.

Mind you, even after reading the manual, I am still no clearer how to use the new functions! Is it a man thing?

Mind you, even after reading the manual, I am still no clearer how to use the new functions! Is it a man thing?

I'm making no gender assumptions re;

A) gender and manual reading

B) gender and instruction following, even if the manual has been read!

C) silverfox's gender (although it is "silverfox" and not "silvervixen")

D) What gender do you believe I am?

What new functions are there, SF ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I read the manual (or should I say "got a man to read it to me and explain it to me") 😝

On mine (by comparison with the old model) ;

delayed start, drying to "iron", "cupboard" and "extra"'dry (with modes for cotton or synthetics)

"Wool" mode.

Anti crease (extra "reverses" during drying)

"Crease guard" : tumbles (no heat) intermittently until door opened once drying cycle finishes (so the clothes rest a while, then get rearranged, but don't lie in one consistent position)

By comparison with "low heat" or "high heat" for the set period of time, for the old dryer.

On mine, there is the pre care and the post care. I understand post care but I haven't a clue what pre care is?

Also, 5 symbols numbered 1 - 5 which are supposed to be set and forget. I have used one and the machine only tumbled for 10 minutes. Then there is the timer. My old one used to go round so I knew what it was doing just by looking at it (I take clothes out hot as creases fall out). On this model. the timer is static so I have to remember what time I put it on before it goes onto cool down mode.

On mine, there is the pre care and the post care. I understand post care but I haven't a clue what pre care is?

Also, 5 symbols numbered 1 - 5 which are supposed to be set and forget. I have used one and the machine only tumbled for 10 minutes. Then there is the timer. My old one used to go round so I knew what it was doing just by looking at it (I take clothes out hot as creases fall out). On this model. the timer is static so I have to remember what time I put it on before it goes onto cool down mode.

Pre Care

This option is only available if a delayed start has

been selected. It tumbles the clothes occasionally

during the delayed period to help prevent creases

developing.

Post Care

When available and selected, the clothes are

occasionally tumbled after the end of the drying and

cool tumble cycles, to help prevent creases

developing should you not be available to remove the

load immediately the programme is complete.

Here you go, the way I read and understand these is that if you have set a delayed start or you will not be around to take your clothes out of the machine once the programme has stopped then there is an occasional tumbling/turning in order to prevent creasing.

Hope that helps !

TCD980G_19508328300_UK.pdf

BCOBS

Had a bit of a strange experience earlier tonight. About 8pm a fire engine pulled up and knocked my door. They said they were 'randomly' inspecting fire alarms. I thought that a bit strange, especially at that late hour.

They also "randomly" knocked about seven other people in the street. Frightned the life out of some of the older folks. Then I wondered if it was something to do with the tumble dryer we have which we are waiting a repair on due to the fiasco going on. So I asked ALL the other people the fire service went to checking their fire alarms and they ALL are waiting for the hotpoint repair.

Just coincidence? We thought our landlord had sent them, but after speaking to the landlord they have no idea why the fire service were sent. Just seems to much of a coincidence, but maybe I'm wrong.....

• 2 months later...

We have a hotpoint condenser dryer that is one of the affected models. We have to wait until December for an engineer to come out and 'modify' it. Either that or we can pay £100 for a new one. In the meantime I refuse to use the dryer.

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool: