housing benefit advice needed

bumpersuze
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3044 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just finished a 10-15 hour a week minimum wage job and have been offered a full time better paid job. I currently get £75 a week in housing benefit obviously this will stop but my concern is my last pay for mu old job will be really low and my new pay will also be low and won't be paid till the new year so I don't know how to handle this.

I don't want to cheat the system but I have bills to pay and will not be able to afford them. I don't get any out of work benefits because I was meant to be doing 24hours a week at this old job

not sure what HB advice you want

can you ask new employer for advance? or explain to landlord that you will be a bit short this month?

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

you could explain your situation to council and see if they can offer you a discretionary housing payment to assist you with the migration to full time work

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Im not 100% certain if this still happens but speak to HB and tell of your new job, hours, pay etc, even if you no longer qualify for HB you should get a 4 week run on which basically allows for this exact type of situation and pays your rent for 4 weeks after you stop your claim

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Click Here To Make A Donation

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Spoken with the council and there's noting I can do. My claim will be stopped and I won't get a discrenary housing payment because I won't be receiving housing benefit. What the hell am I supposed to do? I certainly can't afford to pay the rent for the next 2months

ask the council if they would consider awarding a lump sum discretionary housing payment for a past period

I am getting confused though all the benefits calculators say I am entitled to housing benefit but give me different amounts and the council tell me on the phone I am likely to get nothing but then say I am going to get something.

bumpersuze, if you look at it realistically, your LL doesnt really have a choice but to accept. If you dont have the income for 2 months, he cant get it from you and you would have made up the shortfall before this gets anywhere near eviction so i dont think you need to panic about that for now.

get a new claim for housing benefit in as soon as you can with your new details, ignore what the council say about whether you can or cant, thats for HB to decide

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

Do you have children ? if so you shaould also now be looking at tax credits if you are working full time, the benefits calculator should tell you everything you can apply for

HB automatically stop paying as soon as a change of circumstance is reported. Once yr HB has been sorted and it can take them 12 weeks, you will be backdated, had this a couple of times and at the end of the day the landlord cant have what u dont have, my LL had little choice but to wait till HB sorted it out

ive been thru this a couple of times with housing benefit and if your entitlrd after updating your details they will backdate it, your LL will know how HB work and he really doesnt have much choice but to accept its not you thats causing the delay in payment, if he doesnt like it he can always chase HB for general info on how their system works