driving instructor problem

martin2006

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2158 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My son is a 21 yr old adult with autistic spectrum disorder. he has recently begun driving lessons with a national company but on at least 2 occasions, his instructor has fell asleep during his lesson.

i have complained to the company but had no response in 7 weeks.

There is a fair bit more to this but was wondering where to escalate the complaint to? Would it be the DVSA?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

A & L SETTLED IN FULL :lol:

Spml Reluctantly withdrawn

Blackhorse pre 31-7-06 Demand removal sent 23 8 06. ICO ordered removal jan 2007....REMOVED:lol:

Escalate your complaint in the first instance to the Driving School concerned and don't allow yourself to be fobbed off.

Driving Schools will always listen to both sides before taking any kind of action.

The DVSA will also be reluctant to light a fire under the Instructor's bum unless you can provide proof, which is going to be difficult to provide.

I wish you luck with your complaint but I don't hold out much hope that it will be resolved to your satisfaction.

Your first priority must be to find another instructor.

Not necessarily with a National school but one that is local to you and comes recommended from family or friends.

Make sure that you meet him/her before lessons start and discuss your son's special needs.

It is essential that a good relationship develops between the two of them.

I have had many pupils with Dyslexia/Dyspraxia, ADHD, Aspergers etc.

and, almost without exception, they have turned out to be good drivers.

I hope all turns out well for him.

I bet he would wake up if he bumped into something.

Would you like to name the driving school please ?

Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency [email protected]

DVSA

PO BOX 280

Newcastle-Upon-Tyne

NE99 1FP

The DVSA will also be reluctant to light a fire under the Instructor's bum unless you can provide proof, which is going to be difficult to provide.

They are the regulating body, so all complaints should go to them. They will act and proof should be very easy with todays mobile phones.

thanks guys,

his instructor is supplied by Drive Dynamics with whom we bought the original package and nimrod i agree entirely, i thnk he will make a great driver despite his condition.

we got him a 10 for £99 package for part of his 21st birthday present, initially it took 2-3 weeks to place him with an instructor and then unfortunately he broke his leg 2 days before he was due to start lessons.

when he had recovered from that, the original instructor was unavailable and again, after waiting another 3 weeks he was placed with his current instructor.

the idea was that he took 6 of the 10 prepaid lessons and then he would carry on paying himself as the remaining 4 lessons were to be used for his test week.

once the 6 lessons were done i asked and so did my son to be kept up to date with what needed to be paid and when, but no info was forthcoming from the instructor, this went on for a good 6 or 7 weeks until i insisted he sorted it out as my son was becoming increasingly worried that he would get a large bill he could not afford to pay.

the instructor eventually handed my son a single sheet of paper with a list of the lessons he had so far, he had taken 7 weeks to tell my son he basically owed him £126 or 6 lessons @ £21.

Now as my son has ASD he went into meltdown with panic, he earns less than £500 a month as an apprentice and this was exactly the situation we were trying to avoid.

Duiring this "meltdown", in a converstion with my son, he revealed that on at least 2 or 3 occasions the instructor had fell asleep during the lesson and could be heard snoring in the passenger seat!!

One of these occasions, my son continued onto a motorway without realising and panicked, the instructor was awakened by my sons panick, when i discovered this i immediately spoke to drive dynamics and informed them and requested a change of instructor.

i was asked to put my concerns in writing via email which i did on oct 1st, since then had no response and no instructor change, basically the lessons have now stopped.

couple of days ago, the original instructor began sending my son texts demanding payment for the lessons over and above the 6 initial ones from the package, they are quite incoherent texts and not exactly threatening by nature but very blunt, " i want my money" type

i have messaged him back asking him not to contact while there is an ongoing dispute and his reply was "i didnt know that was still unresolved"

so ive re emailed drive dynamics this morning, 7 weeks after the initial email and will see what comes back, ive given them only 7 days now to resolve before escalating to DVSA

I am not legally trained or qualified, any advice i offer is gleaned from experience and general knowledge, if you are still unsure after receiving advice please seek legal advice.

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

Blackhorse pre 31-7-06 Demand removal sent 23 8 06. ICO ordered removal jan 2007....REMOVED:lol:

i will do conniff, im only giving them 7 days now theyve had plenty of time already so if no response by monday, it will be typed out and sent

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

and escalated to DVSA

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

The set up is that all the instructors are independant of drive dynamics and as such are self employed so may need to clear up who im complaining about at a later stage should it get to the DVSA route

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

It matters not if they are self employed, they are all under the banner of that driving school and I'm pretty sure the owner wouldn't want the school name to start being plastered all over review sites with only one star.

All the instructors are self employed but franchised to the school concerned and all complaints, lesson planning and money issues are normally handled directly by the instructor. You should have been shown their terms and conditions which usually explains all this.

There are many complaints against this particular driving school on various review sites but many of the adverse comments on e.g. Trustpilot have been "removed" on request by the driving school. There are far more complaints from their Driving Instructors trying to escape from their franchising contracts and many have been taken to court by the school. Definately one I would advise all Instrctors to steer clear of.

Apart from issuing a warning to the Intructor concerned, there is very little the DVSA can do short of removing him from the Register of Driving Instructors. The Registrar has that power but would need to determine that the instructor was no longer "a fit and proper person" to remain on the register which would remove his livelihood. It is, therefore, only the most serious of complaints that get escalated to this level. The Registrars decision can also be appealed at the Transport Tribunal.

I hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction.

Edited by Nimrod205
paragraphs

Ericsbrother, as soon as i found out about him snozzing on th job, i immediately stopped the lessons and complained to DD.

So far havent had any response so it looks like its going to the DVSA.

having seen alot of the reviews about this school im surprised they manage to stay in business

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

So still no response, on to the DVSA then

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

Complaint now escalated to DVSA and copied to Drive Dynamics headed official complaint

Will update if and when there is a response

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

They dont need to do much leigh04, the fact that it has been escalated will suffice for now.

Can i ask why you went to dvsa? Was it anything similar?

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

Conniff ive never been one to lie down and take poor service from any company, i doubt that i will get very far with DVSA but as long as they dont deal with it, it will stop the instructor sending my son messages demanding money i believe he shouldnt get.

If he were to try court action, well that would be just a fun day out in court under the circumstances.

But seriously, i cant see that happening

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

Accrding to post #4, your son purchased the "standard" Drive Dynamics starter package of 10 lessons for £99. You have understood, quite correctly, that the first 6 lessons are included, as are the last 4 lessons immediately before his driving test. All other lessons have been offered at £21/hr. As far as I can see, your son has only taken 6 lessons which have already been paid for. I cannot understand why an instructor is chasing him for any money. If anything, they still owe you for 4 lessons that have not been taken.

Hi nimrod,

Just to clarify, the lessons package was purchased by myself and given to my son as a birthday gift.

He had completed 6 lessons when he began asking where he was up to so as not to rack up any debt for lessons he hadnt paid for, he continued having lessons for a further 6 weeks so had 12 lessons in total.

I had also been asking where he was up to and kept getting the same " I'll sort it out for next time" response.

The way i see it now is he had 6 initial lessons and then 6 additional lessons, 2 of which the instructor fell asleep, he has 4 remaining lessons which he will never be able to take due to the problems we now have with DD.

10 have been paid for so the 2 outstanding lessons payments should be forfeited as he fell asleep. Nobody could not fall asleep whilst working and expect to be paid.

Hope that explains better

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

Martin2006 I reported my daughters driving instructor to Dvsa due to the fact she kept upping lesson prices every week, not teaching my daughter anything , getting my daughter to run errands whilst on lessons, carrying passengers who weren't doing driving lessons, constantly on her phone (nothing to do with the actual lessons mainly facebook).And she constantly shouted at my daughter.

In the end I told my daughter to cancel all lessons and I taught her she then went on too pass her test with only 1 minor.

I really hope u sort this out for your son and he tries again and hopefully goes on to pass.

leigh04

maybe its because the DVSA are toothless that instructors seem to think they can do what they like. i'll keep plugging at it and see where, if anywhere, it goes

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

• 2 weeks later...

Well the DVSA are quite simply put, useless.

They will write to the instructor but he doesnt even have to acknowledge any correspondence or reply to it. As expected really, a toothless wate of taxoayers money.

No response from DD as yet.

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled

• 4 weeks later...

Despite it being an official complaint i am still waiting to even receive any sort of acknowledgement from drive dynamics.

So, the position so far is this:

son owes around £126 to instructor

told instructor to bog off as dispute ongoing

he cannot chase money owed while dispute remains unresolved

drive dynamics have failed to respond to anything

atm its permanently unresolved so at a stalemate

only acceptable resolution is to wipe debt out completely.

for now at least, job done, if it comes back then im happy to see them at court

GEMHL Settled

Barclaycard Settled